omg.. where do we start moving to Oz? Help!

thegibbos

Hi,

I am a wife and mum of 3 and we are planning to move to Oz.

Bit of background....

My family ( mum's cousins and all their children - about 15 of them) moved out to Oz back in the 70's and all residents in Melbourne.

We are going in 3 weeks time and plan to do some serious investigating!

My questions are:

1 - Is there anything smart we can do whilst we are there? Immigration office etc

2 - Should we use an agent here and if so what are their costs?

3 - I think after investigating and doing a check on immi www that we will apply on a 175 - both got good jobs (me marketing and husband IT) - is this right?

4 - How long (roughly) would it take from now?

Couple of other bits....

I have crohns disease - I assume this would not be a problem (or hope!)

My mum also wishes to emigrate at the same time - she is about to retire in 4 months time and will have a pension. She is planning to live with our family so would not need to ever claim - I cannot seem to find a relevant visa for her - any ideas?

Sorry to bombard but if anyone can help with any of the questions that would be very helpful indeed.

Thanks

Liz and boys xxx

Guest wanderer

Yes Liz,

Quite a bit of researching and a few decisions ahead

My questions are:

1 - Is there anything smart we can do whilst we are there? Immigration office etc

3 - I think after investigating and doing a check on immi www that we will apply on a 175 - both got good jobs (me marketing and husband IT) - is this right?

Couple of other bits....

My mum also wishes to emigrate at the same time - she is about to retire in 4 months time and will have a pension. She is planning to live with our family so would not need to ever claim - I cannot seem to find a relevant visa for her - any ideas?

Your husband with an IT accreditation via ACS probably offers best 175 approach and if you've had a look at Professionals and other Skilled Migrants - Workers - Visas & Immigration you may have seen the points score assessment you can do off the eligibility section table.

ACS website [with assessment details] and contact info is at rear of the SOL which also has the IT categories and a link on above page.

You may have also looked at http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/faq-priority-processing.pdf re priorities and IT is on the CSL and electing to get a sate nomination would assist with time, indicative times being shown on the link but a review currently underway could see new changes being anoounced within a couple of months.

One thing your husband may want to do while here is sus out any opportunitues for Employer Sponsorship PR - quickest route - http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/visa-permanent.htm and especially if the latest review swws a change to processing times for IT occupations as depending on ages of children you do not want to run into a situation of their lack of dependancy cutting off their move with you if they are approaching 18 YO.

Don't know about crohns disease but all medical issues are addressed by MOCs and you'll find all that type of info under the "eligibility" and "applying for this visa" sections, a lot of links there whether or not you decide to use an agent - it not being rocket science but just needing a commitment to consider all the requirements and collate your info/documents.

Your mum is another issue for there's not exactly tag along deals and you need to have a look at the family visa area you'll find under Migration on the list at left of first page link above - http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/ .

There's eligibility requirements for family visas too with age a factor and your mum may be able to pay to go on the quick list re a Contributory Aged Parent List or the standard aged parent visa which has a waiting list currently of 7-8 years.

Either way, there are also requirements of you/your husband being settled in Australia to sponsor.

There are also visas re last Remaining Relative if that is applicable re your mum

There is a kind of defacto tag along in that a 12 month tourist visa will give your mum up to nearly two years here with one quick trip to NZ and back just before what is called latest entry date, that being 12 months after date of issue and then another 12 months from that latest entry date applies.

Then to avoid the contributory $34000 fee, the other thing your mum may be able to do is if her tourist visa does not have a "no further stay condition" or if it does and she leaves and comes back in on an ETA that does not have that condition attached, she can then apply for a parent visa and be granted a bridging visa until she gets a parent visa.

So a bit for you to absorb and map out to do yourselves or just give it over to an IA for whatever their fees will be which you should be able to get some quotes for.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi LIz

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

The quickest way to get started will be to ring a few migration agents and pick their brains. The good ones are more than happy to spend 15 or 20 minutes chatting on the phone free of charge because reputable agents can't accept instruuctions from you unless it is a racing certainty that they can get you a visa, so they need to question you as much as you need to question them.

"Hubby is in IT and I am in marketing" is much too vague, hon! Please consult the list below:

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1121i.pdf

Next, please consult the list below for more information about your respective occupations as far as the Aussie Immi people are concerned:

A-Z Occupations List - Australian Skills Recognition Information

If it says you need a degree then nothing less will suffice, though the Australian Computer Society does make some exceptions with IT skills. (I haven't a clue about IT skills so I will leave this one firmly at that!) Hubby would need to identify his occupation and then consult the ACS website.

A crucial point to bear in mind is the timescale. If Hubby's occupation is on the Critical Skills List then you may get fast track visa processing, though the current Minister for Immi has proven himself to be fond of shifting the goalposts with no prior notice but immediate and retro-active effect.

The CSL is here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/critical-skills-list.pdf

As far as the timescale is concerned, allow for the time it would take to prepare for the skills assessment and then await the result because the main applicant will need a positive skills assessment before it will be possible to apply for the visa.

The Minister's current thoughts about visa processing priority and hence the likely timescale may be found here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/faq-priority-processing.pdf

The FAQ above is a description of Plan C. Plan A was announced on 17th December 2008. It bit the dust and was replaced by Plan B on 16th March 2009. Plan B worked well until the Minister suddenly ditched it in favour of Plan C on 23rd September 2009.

Be aware too that further changes are in the pipeline. In a radio interview last week the Minister muttered about 2 or 3 further announcements. Watch the DIAC website and this forum like hawks because the minute there are any significant changes, there will be a storm of threads on here whilst the members and the migration agents who help with Poms in Oz dissect the Minister's next move.

Do you definitely plan to move to Melbourne? If so, check out whether VIC would be likely to offer to sponsor the main visa applicant for the subclass 176 visa rather than the sc 175, I suggest:

State & Territory Migration Sites - australia.gov.au

Only one of you will be the main applicant and you do not both need to have your skills assessed. It is a matter of working out whose occupation offers the family the best deal.

Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 176)

Now for your specific questions:

DIAC are likely to tell you to read their website!

Whether or not to use an agent depends almost entirely on your own temperaments and preferences, plus how much time you are able to devote to research. If you are minded to use an agent, you will find that Oz-based agents tend to charge less than agents based in the UK so it is worth shopping around but bear the exchange rate in mind!

Please see above.

If it hs no impact on your ability to live a normal life, it shouldn't affect your eligibility to migrate either.

Are any of your rellies in Oz Mum's siblings rather than her cousins? If yes, it is worth checking whether Mum will become eligible for a Remaining Relly visa:

Remaining Relative Visa (Offshore) (Subclass 115)

If Remaining Relly is a no go, will Mum be able to meet the Balance of Family Test for Parent migration?

Family - Visas & Immigration

Parent Migration Booklet

If yes, bear in mind that a Parent must be sponsored by the child and the child must be a *settled* Permanent Resident at the time of the application for the Parent visa. DIAC would have you believe that this means a wait of two years but it does not:

Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - News

The rules are the same regardless of which Parent visa is chosen. Only the prices vary!

That is enough to be going on with, I suggest.

Cheers

Gill

Archived