Rabbits

k8bug79

Hi, I know that we are not allowed to take our rabbit with us, which is sad but he is old and may no longer be with us by the time we leave. I remember hearing how Rabbits were controlled as there is no natural predators out there (?) Does that mean there are no pet rabbits over there? My husband and his parents have always bred and kept rabbits so it would be sad to think he couldn't have one. However just one sacrifice we would have to get used to

Guest patience

My cousins children in Oz have 2 pet Rabitts. But how about a cat as a pet. they are much easier to look after.

I never new you couldn't take you pet rabbit to Oz. We are taking our cats.

Maybe its beacuse of the Rabbit proof fence, (love that film) beacuse they were at it like rabbits the ones that were let loose in Oz all them years ago.

Hope you find a good home for your pets....

Ah cool. we have 2 cats at the mo but they are nothing but trouble, hoping to get rid of them this week. I want chickens really. Yeah I was looking a transporting pets out of interest as our rabbit is too old to be put through the stress and it said no rabbits

Some states allow you to keep rabbits and some don't Qld doesn't, NSW does. I don't know about the rest!!

You can't bring a rabbit from the UK, or anywhere actually because of a virus carried by rabbits which cannot be detected until they are dead! If they come with the virus they could pass it onto local populations here.

Love

Rudi

x

PS I am always very worried about rabbit threads.......I got very confused one time when someone was asking about a very different sort of rabbit :cute:.....and I talked about fluffy bunnies

Some states allow you to keep rabbits and some don't Qld doesn't, NSW does. I don't know about the rest!!

You can't bring a rabbit from the UK, or anywhere actually because of a virus carried by rabbits which cannot be detected until they are dead! If they come with the virus they could pass it onto local populations here.

Love

Rudi

x

PS I am always very worried about rabbit threads.......I got very confused one time when someone was asking about a very different sort of rabbit :cute:.....and I talked about fluffy bunnies

Love it lol. Yeah I am def talking about the fluffy bunny kind. Thanks that was really helpful. It was really justa passing thought but its nice to get these things answered.

Guest brooksey

Love

Rudi

x

Must admit that it crossed my mind lol

Guest wanderer

We have a show on tele called Border Security, all about immigration and customs and you'd be surprised what people attempt to being in to [and take out of] the country, one girl, quite possibly a thrifty backpacker recently had a bag of fresh carrots right at the top of her bag!

"and what're these for?"

"just some old carrots I forgot about!" , and they looked quite fresh!

Maybe she had a bunny tucked out of sight or there was a bunny right in the picture!

My cousins children in Oz have 2 pet Rabitts. But how about a cat as a pet. they are much easier to look after.

I never new you couldn't take you pet rabbit to Oz. We are taking our cats.

But I don't know that Aussie agricultural people are so much worried about the rabbits having a virus that could be passed on to other rabbits - they have tried to poison them out for many decades as they populate like rabbits will and there're many farmers who'll be able to tell you about cattle breaking a leg because of one going into a rabbit burrow - but it's more that rabbits are an introduced species and decidedly in the vermin category as cute and fluffy as they can be.

It's interesting that pet rabbits are illegal in Queensland for whilst the Qld. authorities would claim the state is rabbit free, even well north of the border by 100s of kilometres I've seen a few pairs of floppy ears about!

Maybe they don't want them competing with Cane Toads for space!

But cats!

I don't mind a cat as long as they're restrained somewhat, especially at night or otherwise they'll be out killing birds and though I don't mind them killing mice/rats, decimating the birdies is another matter, and it's usually the less aggressive, more defenceless smaller birds they get.

So do keep them controlled.

We used to have a cat that occasionally would catch a wild rabbit and bring it back and put it on the doormat for us!

Guest brooksey
There was a time when I was fond of having rabbit with me, But the dogs always rabbit. So I stopped keeping rabbits.

That makes as about as much sence as yorkshirepom when hes had 10 scooners:biglaugh:

Archived