Attached documents have different name spelling

Rubab

Hi,

Can any one tell me if there is any problem if I have some required documents have different symbols as separator within my name's spelling. In my passport and other official documents, I have the spelling like "Khalid Bin Walid" where the separator is blank space while in some other documents like my marriage certificate, I have name spelled like "Khalid-Bin-Walid".

I haven't declared both the name format in the application. Now will it be any problem? Please let me know and get me out of mere tension. If there is any problem could anyone tell me what can be the way forward. I haven't been assigned any CO(Case officer) yet. Just applied and attached the required documents online on 23rd Oct, 2009.

Thanks and best regards,

Rubab

Guest wanderer

I was talking to an immigration officer on one occasion about this particular subject and name variations are a known and accepted fact.

The test that is applied is whether in fact the identity of some one is correct and there can be other things looked at as well, like what other data is on documents.

But the gist was that using your name for instance,

The hyphenations are OK and even if a document had Khalid Walid on it or Khalid BinWalid for instance as long as there is no doubt on identification, it'll be OK.

Another example given was that with some english language countries what is adopted by some families is to use both Family Names, eg. a Mr Smith weds a Ms Greene and they may elect to be known as Mr & Mrs Smith - Greene and then along comes Baby Smith - Greene who at some stage in life might think that's dawky and I'll just be Baby Smith and so some documents like a BC could show Smith - Greene and others just Smith [but recognised as same person].

Thanks a lot wanderer. I'm a bit relieved to know it now. Could you tell me if "just in case" I would be given a chance to explain the hyphenation if they take it as non complient or mismatch? Or I'll be straight away refused the visa?

Guest wanderer

I'm not really in a position to determine validity of visa applications Khalid but I've seen many situations where there may be something to be queried and applicants get given the opportunity to provide more information.

I think if you explore the "applying for this visa" section of the visa you're looking at on www.immi.gov.au and look particularly at "what happens after lodgement" you might even find a reference to that, possibly 28 days being nominal time for extra information from memory.

It really takes someone to be found using fraudulent information or applying for a visa that they are obviously not eligible for before an application refusal occurs.

You should read thoroughly all sections of the visa info on the DIAC web site and make good use of the Checklist in the application in the application section to ensure your application is accurate and complete.

Thanks wanderer, I have each and every single document required for applying for a visa under subclass 176(Relative sponsored) and every single one is legetimate and authentic. Only confusion that I have is with the hyphens in some of the documents. They were actually used as seperator instead of space in some places by me. I hope that shouldn't be any problem.

Archived