Please Help.

frautfreida

My son's first application was turned down due to the fact that his Vetassess was not in place first. We were told that it would be pointless appealing as it was his fault.

A few weeks later he was told that Victoria was sponsoring car mechanics so he went through the process again, he sent his application on the 15th September and all the required information. He also paid over another £1300. As he was assured by Victoria that it would only take about 6 weeks to process his case.

After many abortive phone calls, from here in the UK cut off, etc etc. He managed to speak to someone yesterday in Adelaide who told him he would be now looking at 2012 as they are only processing employer sponsored 176 visas.

We are tearing our hair out as he has handed over this vast amount of money,(again) his police checks will run out in December and so will his medical.

Having visited the Immi web-site Mechanics still appear on the critical skills list and on the Victoria government site. This is so confusing and the lack of help or response to emails, is so frustrating.

He is 28 single and very qualified.

Can anyone advise what to do.? :

I am not a migration agent but has your son thought of a working holiday visa (subclass 417)?

I guess that he is not applying for a 176 on the basis that he has not found an employer? The working holiday visa will allow him to go and show what he is capable of, hopefully leading to sponsorship and Oz work experience/qualifications. It is unfortunate that the police chacks and medicals are likely to expire, good migration agents tend to advise to wait until the last minute to do these things.

I would recommend at least discussing options with a migration professional before spending out any more money.

From what I have seen, the CSL does not necessarily mean that there are jobs available in the trades listed, but it is an indication that there are fewer people with those skills competing for the jobs that are available.

Guest Guest31881

Hi I am sure someone with the correct knowlege will be on to advise you. In the mean time:-

There have been changes to the system and it may help if you check the other threads about this,

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/69397-new-changes-state-sponsored-migration.html

Take a look at that thread it may help you to understand what is going on, There are a lot of others affected by the changes.

Biffo suggestion that you speak to an agent makes good sense, you can normally get 30 min free consultation.

Guest VickyMel
My son's first application was turned down due to the fact that his Vetassess was not in place first. We were told that it would be pointless appealing as it was his fault.

A few weeks later he was told that Victoria was sponsoring car mechanics so he went through the process again, he sent his application on the 15th September and all the required information. He also paid over another £1300. As he was assured by Victoria that it would only take about 6 weeks to process his case.

After many abortive phone calls, from here in the UK cut off, etc etc. He managed to speak to someone yesterday in Adelaide who told him he would be now looking at 2012 as they are only processing employer sponsored 176 visas.

We are tearing our hair out as he has handed over this vast amount of money,(again) his police checks will run out in December and so will his medical.

Having visited the Immi web-site Mechanics still appear on the critical skills list and on the Victoria government site. This is so confusing and the lack of help or response to emails, is so frustrating.

There is a difference between the Victoria Skills Shortage list and the Critical Skills List (and SOL and MODL). The Critical Skills List can be found here

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/critical-skills-list.pdf

I think that your son might need to have a Vetassess confirming he has the skills listed for a specific ASCO Number on the CSL (but I am not an expert in this).

Victoria have been pretty quick in giving SS to peole in the motor trade recently see

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/65713-vic-state-sponsered-update.html

although some people are waiting 15+ weeks.

It is not correct that Adelaide are only processing employer sponsored visas - they are processing ENS/RSMS and CSL visas

unfortunately everything changes on the 23 September when the governemnt changed their migration priorities

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/69397-new-changes-state-sponsored-migration.html

For the speed the CSL's are moving see

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/71250-priority-processing-groups-1-4-where-u-now.html

The rest of us non-CSLs are as your son was told - waiting potentially until 2012 - unless of course they change everything again :arghh:

Hopefully someone with a bit better advice about your sons situation will come on soon - there are some very helpful people on here.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Frautfrieda

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

The first thing to do is to become less fraught, hon! I know very well that this is easier said than done but the only thing wasted so far is money. That is bad but it is not the end of the world.

It is no use rushing off to "a migration agent" either. Most of them claim the earth but have no useful Aussie contacts when push comes to shove. All of them require payment. All of them hang on to the money when their claims to have "red hot contacts" have bitten the dust of hard reality. Migration agents are not recruitment agents.

Whoever told you that your son is in for a 3-year wait was telling the truth.

The real Critical Skills List is here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/critical-skills-list.pdf

As you can see, Motor Mechanic is not on it. Now please see this link:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/faq-priority-processing.pdf

Q11 confirms the 3 year wait.

The above are Federal Government documents. They control what happens about visas. VIC may have a shortage of Motor Mechanics but the Fed Govt's attitude is that employers in VIC can solve their own local problem by sponsoring Motor Mechanics for employer-sponsored visas.

Google Woods Accident Repair Centres + Melbourne. They seem to want (and to sponsor) Panel Beaters & Vehicle Painters. I don't know whether they want Mechanics as well.

It may be worth a chat with Go Matilda, a good firm of agents with its HQ in Geelong and an office in the UK as well:

Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - Contact and Feedback

GM are 100% kosher and I believe that they do have some genuine contacts in the motor industry in VIC. They may be able to help.

Cheers

Gill

Guest wanderer

As Gill indicates Frautfrieda, your son could have a longish wait in even applying for a state nominated independent GSM visa [a 176].

You'll see from the Priority FAQ link she has posted that employer sponsored visas are top of the tree and your son may want to have a look at Employer Nomination Scheme (Subclass 121/856)

If it is actually a 175 visa that he has applied for he should be able to have those fees applied to an employer sponsored PR visa.

The bigger issue with these visas is finding an employer willing to sponsor and you could have one prepared to do what has been more normal in the past and sponsor on a TR 457 visa.

That is not a totally bad option for it can be a step towards a PR visa but if your son has applied for a 175 and was in Australia on a 457 and got the chance for a PR sponsorship, he should look at the offshore 121 visa meaning he would need a quick trip out of Australia to have it granted in order to get the 175 fee applied.

It has been stated on another post that Immigration are conscious of this offshore/onshore mix up possibility and that special consideration could be given to still applying the 175 fee or at least having one fee refunded if in fact he applied for a 856 after a 175, but I have no personal knowledge of that.

Hope those last two paragraphs have not confused you but if you look at the link and select eligibility you'll see a table consistent with the above explanation.

Back to the crucial action of finding an employer and in addition to trying contacts as suggested by Gill, if your son has experience with particular makes of vehicles I'd have him do a google for those makes in the state capital cities of Australia, Lanes Motors being the Rolls Dealer for instance.

And contacting the main dealers who have larger service workshops will do him no harm.

But have a good look at the employer sponsorship visa information including all the links and you'll see that it is not too complex an approach.

...... It is no use rushing off to "a migration agent" either. Most of them claim the earth but have no useful Aussie contacts when push comes to shove. All of them require payment. All of them hang on to the money when their claims to have "red hot contacts" have bitten the dust of hard reality. Migration agents are not recruitment agents.....

..... It may be worth a chat with Go Matilda, a good firm of agents with its HQ in Geelong and an office in the UK as well:....

I think I understand what you are saying, but it does seem that you are contradicting yourself. I would discuss visas with a migration agent such as Go Matilda and job opportunities with a recruitment agent. I apologise if anyone thought that I was suggesting to mix the two.

Guest Gollywobbler
I think I understand what you are saying, but it does seem that you are contradicting yourself. I would discuss visas with a migration agent such as Go Matilda and job opportunities with a recruitment agent. I apologise if anyone thought that I was suggesting to mix the two.

Hi Biffo

I agree that superficially it might seem that I have contradicted myself! However I have seen posts by Alan Collett of Go Matilda mentioning that he may be able to help motor mechanics so I assume that he has some good contacts in that industry.

Go Matilda are one of the most reputable firms in the business. If they say they have contacts, they are telling the truth.

Unfortunately the migration advice industry is also full of cowboys, many of whom are unregistered agents in reality, often practising without adequate knowledge and without Professional Indemnity insurance. The cowboys can be hard to spot other than by following the common sense rule that if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is......

Go Matilda are completely different. What they say can be trusted.

Cheers

Gill

The glass is half full, he has skills that are wanted. It's a bit of a challenge and requires a large dose of patience, and he may need to wait in line with the others, but he can get there in the end. Let somebody else worry about the detail, there are far better things to be doing than to get bogged down in red tape.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ozzie4good

I had the same problem as you're talking about.

I ended up finding and using a local recruitment agency that also had a migration arm. They ended up finding me a sponsor/job and I didnt pay any upfront fees. I was here within a couple of months. Definately the way to go!! The migration agent just processes our documents, its the recruitment agency that will find you a job.

Good luck with your application.

I ended up finding and using a local recruitment agency that also had a migration arm. They ended up finding me a sponsor/job and I didnt pay any upfront fees. I was here within a couple of months. Definately the way to go!! The migration agent just processes our documents, its the recruitment agency that will find you a job.

Dear Ozzie thank you for your post. Can you tell me what sort of job you are in please?

Many thanks

Guest ozzie4good
Dear Ozzie thank you for your post. Can you tell me what sort of job you are in please?

Many thanks

I'm a mechanic, seems to be heaps of jobs for the auto industry

I have only just found this site but have been looking for tradespeople from the UK for over a year. I have spend heaps of wasted money advertising in the UK papers for tradesmen. I have positions for mechanics, welders, panel beaters, spray painters, boiler makers, electrical linesmen in all staes of Australia. No fees until you start work in Australia. Hopefully some tradespeople will see this. cheers Glenn

Guest alansgirlfriend

Hiya Ozzie

My boyfriend is a mechanic and we have hit a brick wall with our application as many others have. We are looking to head to Perth, Australia. Can you give us any good contacts and a rough idea how much we would expect to pay ?

Many thanks

Lynn

Guest alansgirlfriend
I have only just found this site but have been looking for tradespeople from the UK for over a year. I have spend heaps of wasted money advertising in the UK papers for tradesmen. I have positions for mechanics, welders, panel beaters, spray painters, boiler makers, electrical linesmen in all staes of Australia. No fees until you start work in Australia. Hopefully some tradespeople will see this. cheers Glenn

Hey Glenn

My boyfriend is a mechanic and we are looking to move to Perth Australia.

Would you provide sponsorship ? If so, what cost would this entail ?

Many thanks

Lynn

Hi Glennc,

Please post on the job vacancies forum with your requirements. I am sure that you will get a good response. It is good to see work opportunities being offered.

:smile:

Guest Gollywobbler

Hello glennc

You have not "only just found" Poms in Oz. Your other user name on here is ozzie4good.

Only yesterday your alter ego (which only joined Poms in Oz yesterday, by the way) posted this:

Which recruitment agency with a "migration arm" are you trying to promote and why do you believe that multiple identities on the forum would be useful to you, please?

Gill

Archived