The citizenship process

Guest Sereena

Guest Sereena

Hi all

Just a quick question about the whole process of applying for citizenship;

My husband and I have just found out the exact dates that we are eligible to apply for citizenship (both mid May 2010), but what we want to know is that literally the date we have to wait for before we start the process (tests etc.) or can we get things in place to do it as soon as that date is reached? The reason for our urgency is that we JUST qualify for the two year wait (rather than the new 4) but we have to have applied before the end of June 2010 and are abit concerned that time is going to run away with us & we'll miss the deadline. Does anyone know how it all works?

Many thanks

Guest Sereena

Thanks Colin...we already know the date; we just want to know how the process works really & like I say can we get anything in place BEFORE that date, so we are ready to go when the date is reached.

Thanks for your reply though

Guest Sereena
Get your test booked and done before that date! Thats the biggest wait! Its easy after that!

Are you allowed to do that then?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest pompeydigger
Are you allowed to do that then?

Yes, it's perfectly ok to book and sit the test well in advance of the date when you are eligible to apply for citizenship. We sat our tests in March this year and will be submitting our applications in a couple of weeks time. When booking the test, I was told that they would prefer that we wait till we are eligible but I insisted I wanted to sit it beforehand, and that was enough to get the test booked. I think there may be a rule that you can only sit the test after you have been here a year, but that is obviously passed for you now if you are rushing to get to two years before June 2010 and the switch over to four years? We are also up against the June 2010 deadline so will be pleased to get our applications in in the coming weeks.

Good luck!

Guest Sereena

pompeydigger...thank you for your reply. That answers my question! I'll have to call up the test people & see what they say about getting it booked. I hope they let us do it nice & early like they did with you. Yes, this end of June deadline is a bit of a nightmare - talk about cutting it fine! Just got to hope we can get it all done before the deadline comes around. Good luck with your applications & thanks again for your response. :smile:

Archived