Shipping agents what questions to ask??

Guest EM&M

Guest EM&M

Ok so I have a memory block too many things happening at once and my mulyi tasking devise is on the blink :wacko:

I have 3 shipping agents coming next week all of which have been recommended by lovely peeps on here. Just wondering what questions I need to be asking them?? Started to make a list but can only think of storage costs until we find rental etc.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks

Em x

Guest yvonne & paul

Hi we have only had one quote and we were very happy with that and the man that came...we may be mad but haven't got the time. He told us all sorts and most things we can take even our pine bits, we also have some very old pine cupboards that had been dipped so are not treated and they are ok. It is just things like pot pourri, shells, dried flowers and we also have a wickor draw thing in the bathroom and we can not take that. The letter of confirmation of the price tell you how much things cost if you are over your container per kilo.

They come and pack everything so that sound great. But I think i may do something with my knickers as my husband and his mates have told loads of storys about womens knickers draws..... the old perv's:biglaugh:

yvonne

Guest thepriceclan

Hi Em,

We had 3 quotes and asked various questions.

Main things we asked were :

How far in advance did we need to book with them

When they needed to be paid and by which form

How long they will take to pack the stuff

How much space they think you will need ie 20ft container

What insurance they offer.

All the companies we had out were really good and we picked the lowest priced.

Hope this helps.

Sarah

Guest wackyjacky

who came up with cheapest qute and was there alot of difference as we have had 1 quote and will be going with them to save time really as so mush more to sort out, we are having a shared conatiner £2300 to £2800 depending on a few bits and pieces and we arent taking any furniture apart from 1 tv computer toys etc.

Guest EM&M

Hi Jacky,

I had 2 agents out this morning and they will send quotes in post. I had 2 totally different visits and an more confused than ever.

I first one said will need full 20ft container, 2nd said no where near a full container but will quote on part and full as part container takes couple weeks longer.

2nd guy seemed much more experienced mentioned our 2 blanket boxes needed staining this was not mentioned by 1st guy. 1st guy said we couldnt take a sheepskin rug we have 2nd guy didnt mention it would be a problem!! Arrrhhhh :arghh:

Got one more coming on thus so see what he says and compare the lot. We are taking I would say 2/3rds of the furniture and all our kitchen/white goods and all kids toys etc.

Em x

Guest wackyjacky

Hi Em jacky here , we are not taking any furniture or white goods all bits and bobs you know the thing sentimental things ornamnets toys bikes comp linen towels throws a few plates cups glasses pots pans steros speakers cds etc does seem a lot of money cos our flights for 3 adults and two kids will be about same cost! we are aiming to go beginning july just waiting to set date with people buying our house then will book flights!! going through austravel singapore airlines , i think! gosh me head hurts so much to think about and still deal with every day life! never mind just keep thinkin once we are there and should be settled by xmas ON THE BEACH!! when are you off? We are opening accoount next with commonwealth bank how about you? Gotta go do dinner now so BYeBye

Guest EM&M

Jacky, that does seem really high. I think a 20ft container normally comes out around £3500. It might be worth just getting another quote. I know couple people who only shipped minimum stuff and was quite cheap Im sure it was Cal. I will try and find the thread for you and bump it to top. Think they took something like 20 boxes for £800 but dont quote me on that.

House is up for sale since last wed hoping we sell it! My brothers interested so might work out ok. We are hoping to be there early august as my OH has a job to go to.

I havent looked into banks yet but have just bought the "moving to Australia" book with info on all sorts stuff so hoping start reading that soon when I get 5 (yeh right)!!

Em x

Guest wackyjacky

Hi Em thanks for advice we reckon we hav lots more than 20 boxes really hard to tell got bikes etc so not sure wot we are doin!! gonna look at flights now see how much they are wot are you doin when you get there? i am gonna try rent through poms in perth for a month and hopefully find house to buy in that time! is your head spining ? will try to do one thing a day maybe HaHA bye bye

Guest Taz01

I work for a major international shipping company so I may have a few tips to give:

Firstly; most shipping companies quote on the cuft or CBM of what you are sending, and usually the more you send the cheaper the cuft or CBM becomes. So if you get a quote for the bare essentials, its worthwhile getting a second quote for the essentials plus a few bits extra, as it may not work out too much more.

Second; make sure the quote includes customs clearance and redelivery door to door; and also check the mileage of the quote, as once again there is usually a specification as to what the price covers. If your quote states 0-30 miles from the port and you are 35 miles from the port they can charge quite a lot extra.

Also check what the insurance covers; is it new for old at destination? In other words, will they pay for a brand new sofa to replace your 10 year old sofa if its damaged? Also check that there isn't an excess. There's no point paying £100 for insurance if the excess is £200!

Make sure the visa is confirmed before you book. Most companies need around 6-8 weeks notice from first call to moving date, although a lot of companies can accomodate at last minute if you are flexible. If your visa isn't through there can be major problems with customs clearance. Also, you do need a residential contact address in Australia; even if its not the delivery address.

Check the quotation as well for the delivery times. Some companies will promise you the earth and then your stuff could sit in a warehouse in the UK for 6 months whilst they try to fill a container to ship it out! Find out how often they send containers- all full container loads should be sent weekly so you're looking at a max of 6-8 weeks including customs clearance and redelivery. Groupage, or the shared service can take longer but if you don't check how often they send container you could get caught out with a cheap quote and not have your things sent for months.

Choose a company that is regulated by the BAR. Check out what company they use for redelivery as well. Some smaller companies may use a small company for redelivery which may have hidden charges or not have the same standard of service.

I deal with this every day so if anyone has any particular question then let me know as I'll be able to find out the answer for you pretty quick. The company I work for is pretty competitive and can usually negotiate on international jobs. I'm not deliberately marketing though so I won't say who it is! If anyone is interested let me know and I'll see what rates we're doing.

Eva

:biggrin:

Archived