Shipping costs

k8bug79

Im sorry I know this has probably been discussed a million times but searching I can't find a thread that answers my question definitively.

We are still in the very early stages of all this and before I apply for my spouses visa (presuming my hubby gets his citizenship by descent that is) we'll have needed to save.

So I was all for selling everything and taking a few boxes of sentimental bits and pieces, all our furniture bar a couple of pieces are second hand and a bit shabby so no sentimentality to them. So I was gonna trawl gumtree and get bits over there. I went through the other day and made a list of everything we would need for the first few months. Basics no real luxuries apart from tvs and it came to about £2500. Not bad for what we would have got but I then got to thinking that if a container cost £2000 - £3000 surely we are better spending that money on having everything rather than the very basics.

So what didi your shippig actually end up costing you (if you don't mind me asking) nd if you took boxes only how did you get them there and what was the cost of that?

Thanks in advance

Guest mandisfam

Hi Kate

We are have recently had a couple of shippers out to quote us. We have been told we will 3/4 fill a 20ft container, with all the items we wish to take. They have quoted approx £4k.

However, it all depends on how much you are taking. Quotes are free to get and they only take up about hour of your time. So you might like to get 1 or 2 out to quote. Dont think they mind whether you have your visa or not.

Dont know much about taking just boxes, but have heard of a company called excess baggage, which do just a few boxes, dont know what they are like though.

Good luck with it all.

Mandisfam

Thanks that gives me a god starting point. I have used excess baggage before when I was going to dubai and they were fine. I reckon if we had boxes we would have 6-8???? I am thinking about £100 a box does that seem about right to anyone?

Hi Kate

We are have recently had a couple of shippers out to quote us. We have been told we will 3/4 fill a 20ft container, with all the items we wish to take. They have quoted approx £4k.

However, it all depends on how much you are taking. Quotes are free to get and they only take up about hour of your time. So you might like to get 1 or 2 out to quote. Dont think they mind whether you have your visa or not.

Dont know much about taking just boxes, but have heard of a company called excess baggage, which do just a few boxes, dont know what they are like though.

Good luck with it all.

Mandisfam

We have done the same as you - and we had 2 come in at around £4000 for the same and one at just over £3000! There is huge disparity and sometimes the smaller local ones (often still with 150 years of experience) do come in cheaper. Furthermore, if you like the "feel" of one of the more expensive ones you can negotiate and say you've had a significantly cheaper quote and they seem to come down. We are now taking some of our more "scrappy" furniture at that cost because with the diabolical exchange rate I realise I'll want to put every penny into a house and not worry as much about furniture.

Liz

Archived