clubs and things

Guest mae

hi there i am moving with my family to sydney, and as i am fifty plus i would like to make friends , so my question is would there be clubs and activities for someone like me, starting over again. Would anyone know?:chatterbox:

Depends where you are.. Bowls clubs are quite popular with oldies but like every thing in Aus they are few and far between. Apart from that there is always PIO meets or BBQs in pples gardens:SLEEP:

I felt very sory for the elders in Aus, thought it was a bit like Gods waiting room..:sad:

Every suburb (and country town in NSW) has at least one club and I recommend joining one. Some are HUGE - like Harrods - and some are a bit more intimate in size. I'm a member of two - Revesby Workers and Panania Diggers. Revesby Workers is on the huge size - multi-level, escalators, shops, bars, auditorium, gym, not unlike a cruise ship. They usually let children in some parts of the club. Panania Diggers has an outdoor area which is very popular with families. Most of them organize various activities - bowls, darts, snooker, poker, Mah Jong (very popular with the Chinese at Revesby) fishing, golf, bushwalking. Regular raffles and bingo too.

The local pub is often OK too. I was surprised coming back after a number of years to see how much the meals have improved. Again, many of them welcome children to the bistro area.

I'd approach living in Sydney the same way I would moving to a different city in the UK. Take up evening classes, join the local library, (good source of local activities) a bushwalking club (similar to The Ramblers). Subscribe to one of the many theatres in Sydney.

I'm 55 myself and I recently joined the YHA and spent 3 nights at Sydney Central hostel. I was scared because of my age and the thought of sharing facilities but it was marvellous. I plan to do some weekend trips staying at hostels now.

Naturally, it takes time to become a local but it's the same anywhere. When I first came to OZ I only mixed with Poms and other expats. Now, my friends are all Aussies.

Archived