Am I mad?

Guest Pamster

Guest Pamster

Hubby and I have been thinking about moving to Oz along with our 2 kids (boy & girl twins age 7). Main reasons for going would be better climate, better standard of life, better for kids (?) Think we must be mad as we have never been, don't know anyone out there or even know much about the place. :? I'm finding out more, the more I look on this forum though.

Can I have peoples recommendations about area's to live/not to live please?

Also am I right in thinking it would be generally a better standard of life out there? :?:

Does anyone agree we must be mad if we don't know the country or anyone living there? :?

Any advice or own stories of why and where they moved out would be appreciated.

Cheers

Pam

Guest Julie/Kev

Hi Pam,

We are in exactly the same postion as you :)

We started talking about it the last week of August - made the descion to go for it 2 weeks later - appointed a migration agent - collected the evidence for the Trade assessment - submitted it 2 weeks ago! All this with never having been there and knowing no one!

We have a 13 1/2 year old son who is not so sure but we think that our lives have to improve even if its only waking up in the sun everyday.

It's worth going for it and if successful you have 5 years to take up the visa (after entry validation).

Where are you based in the UK? If you want to chat, let me know.

Julie

Guest Pamster

Thanks Julie

I live in Huddersfield in West Yorks - what about you?

I've loads of questions:

- which area are you going to?

How did you decide?

Which agent did you go with? etc

Would you prefer I email you direct or keep to this forum?

Pam :)

hi there we moved to Victoria a couple of months ago when Ian got a job here. We had never visited before and have no family here, although a couple of friends have moved to Canberra and Queensland.

We have 4 kids aged between 16 and 3 and are loving it here. We are in a small town (although they do insist on calling it a city :D ) and although we aren't by the sea we are close to the mountains, loads of vineyards and the Murray river. The kids have settled into school and Ian loves the job so looks like we will be here for good.

I would say that coming here with a job has made the situation slightly less stressful and has helped enormously although we haven't got any big deposit as we didn't have a house to sell in the UK so we needed a bit of financial support. Once the youngest is at school I will finish my teacher training here and then we will look for a house to buy and we are all happy to think of our future being here. If you are the sort of people that can take change in your stride and go with it and generally have a positive outlook on life then you stand a very good chance of making a go of it out here. We love the friendly atmosphere, the sun (although it isn't really hot here) and the slower pace of life of a regional area ( the city really wouldn't have suited us).

Good luck with it all and it is worth the stress although at times it doesn't seems so. Oh and my brother is in Huddersfield so I know the area well.

Nicky

• 4 weeks later...
Guest snowflake

hi pam

we are the same as u, we have just got in touch with a migration agent and awaiting all the paperwork and contracts. we are all looking forward to it the kids especially :D we have never been to australia either and family members think we must be mad going to live at a place we have never visited before, but we believe and hope that it will be a much more better life style over there for us.

bye Lisa

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Pam,

when we first started thinking about moving to Oz in the cold winter of 04 people thought we were barking until we convinced them otherwise. Now it is only eight weeks until we leave and everything is now sooooooooooo real . We too new no one out there but felt we had to do a reccy first even though it cost us a fortune. It is such a big thing to do, move to the other side of the world, change jobs, sell your house that we felt that we needed to visit first. That said many people do go without seeing the place. My hubby leaves the Navy the day we fly after 23 yrs in, and we just thought that if we dont do it now we never will. And yes, we firmly believe that our standard of life will without a doubt be better over there. Where we live on the south coast the traffic is appauling, the place is dirty, so many new houses and luxury flats are going up by the minute with no new infastructure to support it. Its getting rediculious - not to mention the tax`s and crime(god I could go on forever) Dont get me wrong I know Oz still has crime etc but not to the UK`s standard im sure. We were in Queensland/Melbourne/Perth and Adelaide in summer 04 and the thing that struck me were how clean the places are. Everyone seems to have great pride in their country. But most of all the thing that I liked most was the lack of traffic and all the open space. So much more room to breathe. Ranting again I know!!!!!

Anyway I for one would say you are deffinately dong the right thing.

PM me if you want me to keep ranting!!!

Regards

Cookie

Hi there Julie/Kev,

just a quickie to say hello. We are in Gosport and its raining!!!!

Going to Adelaide in 8 weeks.

regards

Cookie

Archived