457 visa- how long in OZ before can apply for PR visa & which best to apply for

Guest Prickles83

Guest Prickles83

Hey,

We have been offered a job and will go over on a 457 visa. How long do you have to be in OZ before you can apply for a PR visa?

OH has the points for a 175 etc but not sure if thats the best way:twitcy:

Guest tracynben

there are lots of factors with the 457 visa, lots of bad things come with it, as we found out when we first arrived 3 yrs ago, we got sponsored too.

If you have children under 16, as a temp resident you cant claim NO benefits for them , its hard to get any kind of creditm inc mortgage, car, credit card, loan etc.

As soon as you arrive here you can apply for a 175 straight away, BUT if you are australia when its granted, you have to leave the country and come back to get it stamped ( alot of cost for a holiday then).

Yoi can also get your partners sponsor to sponsor him permenetly, not sure how long you have to wait before you can do that, check this website out for PR empoyer sponsorhsip

Employer Nomination Scheme (Subclass 121/856)

I guess it depends how eager you are to get over here, i think 175 visas are taking about 18 months to process, but im not sure.

As regards to priority for visa processing of PR visas, the first prority goes to employer sponsored ones, second state sponsorship and next 175 visas.

hope that helps

Hello There,

You can apply for a GSM PR (SC175/6) visa now and let it run alongside your 457 visa. This is quite a common visa strategy as it allows you to live and work in Australia whilst the GSM PR visa is processed. You also have the option of being sponsored by your employer for an ENS or RSMS visa - you would need to discuss this option with the employer.

I hope this helps!

Regards

• 2 years later...
Hello There,

You can apply for a GSM PR (SC175/6) visa now and let it run alongside your 457 visa. This is quite a common visa strategy as it allows you to live and work in Australia whilst the GSM PR visa is processed. You also have the option of being sponsored by your employer for an ENS or RSMS visa - you would need to discuss this option with the employer.

I hope this helps!

Regards

Hi,

can I apply for the GSM PR (SC175/6) if I have only been in Australia for a year on the sponsored 457. i think i will have to apply independantly as my organisation is in the process of a takeover.

thanks

Archived