What shall I do with my baby???

Purple Princess

Just finished customising my 57 plated Transporter T5 with 25k on the clock,and now I have to decide whether to sell it in the UK or pay for the shipping over to Brisbane.HELP!!!!! I don't know what to do,should I get rid of it here or should I pay for the export.Resale in the UK is about 10k+vat,how much am going to need to spend to by one in OZ?

My cold hearted wife said to just get rid ,but not to sure which one I would get rid of first,her or my van.

Any suggestions??:confused:

Guest bentkitty

My husband was like you and refused to part with his baby (a TVR convertible sports car in our instance), particularly as they are no longer made and there are only a handful in Australia which cost a lot more than they do here (because of rarity value presumably). So we are taking it along with us. The import licence was quite easy to organise, we are shipping the car with all our household stuff which is costing approx £1000 extra. If you will hate leaving it behind just take it with you, what difference does it make to your wife anyway, the shippers come and take it away and then deliver it to your doorstep!! Surely it's your decision?!

Guest Toomers
I know it's my decision but she is concerned about import duty,shipping costs and everything else to do with money.(She works as a financial adviser in the UK and will be doing Accounting in OZ),so as you could imagine she likes to have control over the purse strings.

Speak to the shipping company about duties/cost ect.. also research what you current vehicle will cost to replace in Oz - I think you may find that taking it works out cheaper!! then sell your OH the cost saving!! good luck...

Guest Impatient

It is not the shipping that is the issue, it is getting it road-legal the other side. Not sure what differences there might be for your T5, but worth factoring into your sums as many vehicles require modification before being licensed. Bit of a cheek really considering the state of a lot of the used vehicles over there, but importing can be a minefield.

May also depend on height - will it ship in a normal container or will it need to go bespoke?

What have you decked it out as? Surf toy? Camper?

Hi Richsalt, my OH is in love with our t5 too, he goes on the following forum,

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au

The VWWatercooled Lounge...

maybe you could get some of your questions answered over there, like how much they cost to buy over there. I tend to keep out of these things but I do know we are selling ours but shipping a load of bits over: a parcel shelf, roof ... oh well if it keeps him happy.

Are you a member on the Brickyard?

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/forums.html

Mel and Rob

Guest Working to fish

I had a ford transit long wheel base ,high top 2 years old before we came to oz (i didnt love it by the way) .But i had to sell it for bugger all before we came and when we got here i could not get over how much they were here .

Now if we were talking about a cool van i would say bring it.

Guest Working to fish
What sort of prices are we looking at for a 2008 Transporter T5?

Brand new price in the UK at the moment for a standard van is about 17k.

www,tradeing post.com.au

try this site

Guest lee n sar
Just finished customising my 57 plated Transporter T5 with 25k on the clock,and now I have to decide whether to sell it in the UK or pay for the shipping over to Brisbane.HELP!!!!! I don't know what to do,should I get rid of it here or should I pay for the export.Resale in the UK is about 10k+vat,how much am going to need to spend to by one in OZ?

My cold hearted wife said to just get rid ,but not to sure which one I would get rid of first,her or my van.

Any suggestions??:confused:

Easy Rich

I know how your feeling.

I have just watched my 76 Bay window being driven away by its new owner.

Sickening feeling having spent 2 1/2 years doing it up.

Getting p***ed big time tonight!

The import licence was quite easy to organise, we are shipping the car with all our household stuff which is costing approx £1000 extra.

Could you please give us all some more info on this?

Who are you using to ship the vehicle over with?

Does this price include every little extra that they stick on the price on entry?

Like cleaning the cleanest of vehicles:shocked:

Your help is appreciated!

Rob and Mel

I can imagine you are totally gutted at losing your babe,went to NWVW Show at Tatton Park a few weeks ago and saw a few Dubs that would of sat quite nicely on my driveway for my neighbours to admire,but the OH told me I can't buy one as I need to get rid of one.

And to rub salt into the wounds,one of my golfing pals has just gone out and bought a '67 bus that I saw at Run to the Sun in Newquay,Fully blown 911 engine, Custom interior the works,(A motor worth being banished to the garage for).And my,how he likes rubbing it in,that "I can't have one!!!)

Guest bentkitty

We are using Simpsons for all our shipping, including the car, which goes into the same container as the rest of our stuff.

We asked the shippers for two quotes, one with the car and one without and the difference is just under £1000 (we might not have taken the car if it was more expensive). However remember it is a two seater sports car so fairly small, a saloon or van would cost more.

This is just shipping cost and does not include the following extras:

1. Taxes (customs duty and GST) - approx £3000

2. Insurance for shipping (optional) - we got our shipping insurance from Letton Percival which is a lot cheaper than what the shippers themselves typically offer. Car insurance was at 1.5% of the value of the car at destination - so approx £300.

3. Getting a tail light installed (which is required in Oz - being an old car ours didnt have one) which I think cost about £150.

4. AQIS quarantine clearance - it is going into the container speckless but we have been warned that they are still likely to wash it and ask for approx $100 plus inspection costs of approx $200

Really unless you have a great emotional attachment or the value of the car is higher in Oz than in the UK (as is the case with our TVR) it makes little financial sense to take the car. Hope this helps

S

benkitty,

Thanks for the post,had a look at a few sites in Oz for new/nearly new motors today and almost had a heart attack!!!

A 2008 Transporter T5 Standard off the production Line motor with several housand km on the clock costs upwards of 45k AUS.

I that's the type of mark up I can expect,Imight drive mine to Brisbane and sell it when I get there.

Archived