Renting in Adelaide

Guest Amanda B

Guest Amanda B

HI there,

my partner and I are moving to SA in October. We have somewhere to stay for 3 weeks but it's very basic. Everything I have read states that the rental market in Adeliade is very competitive. Any advice when looking for rental properties?

We have no idea on where we want to live - but we do know we need to access the city by public transport or bicycle as my partner doesn't drive.

Any suggestions on quiet neighbourhoods - we don't need schools but local store and beach/parks would be goos.HELP!

A

Hi Amanda

There will be loads of suburbs that fit the bill.

It might be tough getting a rental sorted out in 3 weeks but not impossible.

I would suggest that you start looking straight away though.

Generally what happens is, an open inspection is arranged on the available property. You go along as does everyone else interested.

If you like it and wish to proceed you have to submit an application. On the application it will ask for your employment history and request landlord references and possiblly employment references.

Obviously this is where things might become tricky.

However, agents are used to dealing with people that have just arrived in Oz, so just explain your situation and what you usually do or used to do for a living and that you will be actively seeking employment (if you are of course).

If you have savings attach statements showing that you can pay the rent if you do not secure work immediately, I think that helps.

I think the more evidence that you can show that will put you in a good light or better light to the other applicants the better, so go the extra mile on the application and get it back in straight away or as soon as you can.

Please don't let this panic you but we have been through it and it is probably better that you are prepared for it.

That said, sometimes if you see a place advertised for rent ie in the paper or on the web and phone the agent direct, they may arrange a viewing just for you.

It is a bit of hit and miss but I am sure something will come up for you. I would also suggest maybe trying for a 6 month lease, most are advertised for 12 months but 6 is possible, this will save being tied for a year if for whatever reason things crop up that you do not like.

Andy

If it's just the two of you, and you don't mind cycling, have a look either at somewhere like Norwood, or Unley - great atmosphere, lots going on, good cafe culture, easy ride or public transport (even walkable) into the city. They're on the east and southside of the city though - so probably about 20 minutes drive/tram to the beach (probably 10-15 from Unley), so if you prefer somewhere beachside, check out somewhere like Henley or anywhere along the Torrens River - there are great cycle paths all the way along the river from the east to the coast at Henley - or Glenelg, which is linked by tram to the City centre, again, plenty going on in terms of cafes, bars, etc. If you prefer something a bit more tree-y and still within 15 minutes of the beaches, you could have a look around Belair, Blackwood, Glenalta, Hawthorndene (I think) which are cyclable and served by plenty of busses and a train station or two, as long as you don't mind cycling up hill on the way home!

My inlaws stayed with us when they first arrived here, and managed to get a great rental (in Norwood) within a week, and moved in about a week after that, so it's certainly possible.

Diane

Guest asrais

We're renting a 1 bed apartment in Glenelg. $250 per week, brand new. When we arrived in Adelaide we had accomodation (house share) arranged, but it turned out to be very dodgy. It took us a week from seeing the apartment to moving in.

Glenelg is great, we're 10 mins from the beach, right on the tram line - takes less than 30 mins to get in to the city. There's plenty of shops and a supermarket right on our door step.

There always seems to be a good range of apartments for rent around here, but do keep in mind that most don't come furnished - we spent the first 2 nights sleeping on the floor, till we could arrange a bed:)

The only other suburb I really have experienced is Goodwood, again on the tram line, seems a nice enough area, though we didn't have a good experience with the above mentioned dodgy house share. You'd have to get the tram to the beach, but its only a few minutes to the city.

Guest tester23

Yeh if yor looking for public transort to the city, glenelg is probably the place to be.

We live in North Adelaide in a 2br apartment for $230 pw, its walking distance to the CBD, but took ages to find, and isnt near the beach.

Other beach options that may be cheaper than glenelg are Grange and Henley

Guest sazzle76

We are renting a little place in Brighton when we arrive mid Sept.

Its just a few steps from the sea front.

Does anyone know or live in Brighton?

Guest Amanda B

This is great advice. I now know what to take with me for references etc. I am starting to veer between panic and excitement. The replies really help to calm the nerves.

Thank you very much....A

Guest Guest9973
This is great advice. I now know what to take with me for references etc. I am starting to veer between panic and excitement. The replies really help to calm the nerves.

Thank you very much....A

Those emotions are entirely normal - you would no be human if you did not go through them!!!:spinny:

• 1 month later...

Archived