In need of some advice!

rache76

Hi

I am hopefully going to be sponsoring my parents to come and live with us permanently in Aus. My parents meet the B o F and all the other criteria.

I have been searching immi.gov and centrelink for information on sponsoring and them and about the Assurance of Support but the information I have found is pretty sketchy.

Can anyone shed a little light on the criteria I would have to meet to sponsor them and be their AoS.

Thanks anyone for any help.

Rache

Guest JoanneHattersley

There are some financial criteria. I dont have it to hand tho. That was all! Financial criteria, permanent resident , settled for 2 years.

Also (just remembered) had to take the evidence of my tax in there. (Group certificates)

WHy not PM Alan or one of the other agents? They might give you some info! I did it almost 5 years ago! Things change!

Thanks for replying,

I have been looking everywhere, the most I can find is that they ask the sponsor to prove they are 'settled' that part shouldn't be a problem. I know the amount we have to put up for the Assurance of Support. I just cant find any solid criteria that we have to meet. I think I am going to go crazy soon.

Good idea, I'll try to PM a migration agent later today.

Rache

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Rache

The link that you need is here:

9.4 Assurance of Support Scheme

The Assurance of Support involves means-testing the Assurer. Centrelink deal with that on DIAC's behalf.

The Sponsor merely promises that if Mum & Dad fall on hard times during their first 2 years as Perment Residents of Australia, the Sponsor will ensure that they are adequately provided for in order to prevent the Parents from being able to claim anything from Centrelink during that first two year period.

At the time of Mum's application, she was sponsored by my sister. Elaine is the one with the blood link who can be trusted to ensure Mum's protection. However her children were only young at the time so Elaine was only working part time. By herself she was not earning enough to be Mum's sole Assurer. Elaine's hubby Neil was earning enough by himself so he could have Assured Mum on his own.

However we decided that Elane would be a joint Assurer with Neil because Neil is an Aussie. There is no possibility of any of his rellies needing visas because they are all Australian Citizens. We decided that if Elaine's neck was in the potential Centrelink noose as well as Neil's it would block any carping from the Aussie in-laws. Families have strange dynamics. The Aussie in-laws all love Mum but there is no predicting when one of them might carp so we decided to block any opportunity to do so!

Up to three people can club together to provide an Assurance of Support. They need not be related to the visa applicant or to each other. It is just a guarantee and Centrelink are not fussy about who provides it. What matters more is that an indivisual Assurer can only Assure two adults at a time. Therefore when a H&W team of migrants provide a Joint Assurance for his or her Parents, you must be aware that it will not be possible for either of them to Assure any other rellies until the first AoS has expired.

Cheers

Gill

Guest JoanneHattersley

No worries Rache! Happy to help anyway I can. The AOS is an ok process to go through. I had to go to Centrelink for an interview to ensure that i met the criteria.

Then I had to go to Commonwealth and open the Acct. You have an acct for the $14000 and you have to open one for the interest to be paid into.

Then you get a letter saying all approved! Mine didnt take long either x

Pm me at any time if you want or a chat or I can give you my email adn we can chat!

Thanks to you both,

Gill that was just the link I needed, I think I understand it, I'm pretty sure my hubby will be okay to be their Assurer. One last quick question, if I sponsor them is their much other evidence I would need to show them other than that we are 'settled'

We have lived in the same area since we arrived and OH has had the same job since arriving, kids are at the same school etc.

Rache :):):)

Guest JoanneHattersley

I didnt have to show any evidence of being `settled`. I took my group certificates, a couple of wage slips & the letter from Mums agent requesting AOS. Then I had to go back and show the deposit slip to prove that the $14000 had been paid in!

Archived