Hordon on the hill essex

embydoops

Guest jewels1356

right its a small village so if you like that life its probly nice dont re,mber thier being many shops their

tho apart from that cant help you

julie

xx

Guest LondonGal

Horndon on the Hill is a nice but tiny village, not much going on at all although The Bell Inn used to be a lovely pub. That may be what you are looking for though.

Easy access to places like Stanford le Hope, Basildon, Grays and the Lakeside Shopping Centre for more amenities. The whole area has not got the best reputation in Essex, I have lived in Grays previously and would personally not choose to live there again but some of the surrounding countryside areas are quite pretty. I think the closest high school would be St Clere's in Stanford le Hope but not sure what it is like.

Hi there - my sister has lived in Horndon on the Hill for the last 9 years - she is lucky as she has 5 acres and stables at home for her horses.

It is a very small village with two pubs - the Bell is still good for food. There is only one school (infant/junior). The closest secondary school is St Cleres in Stanford where we lived prior to moving to Perth.

My son went to St Cleres albeit he left two years ago - he did really well all A-C's !

There is only a village shop and not much going on. If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to pm me.

I agree some areas around there do not have a very good reputation, but Horndon -on-the-Hill I think is OK. Its close to the M25 and London to commute to.

Karen

Hi there, just wondering if anyone has any advice on Horndon on the hill in essex on whats it like there? High schools,shops,people etc. Thankyou.:huh:

hey, i used to live in Hordorn and i can say its a very quite village, with a primary school which i used to go attend, it has limited shops a conor shop which sells most things, a bakers a butchers.....yr nearest shoping centre would be in corringham nr stanford le hope (where i live now) and by car takes approx 5mins or so....there are two pubs there the Swan and the Bell and can recomend the bell for food as it has a good resturant.......the people there are friendy enough too...by car you are about 15/20 mins from lakeside or you have Basildon shopping centre which is would take about 10mins to get to in a car...if you like quiet village life Hordon is lovley..but u really do need a car otherwise it can be quite isolated and buses do run run through but not many..xx

hey, i used to live in Hordorn and i can say its a very quite village, with a primary school which i used to go attend, it has limited shops a conor shop which sells most things, a bakers a butchers.....yr nearest shoping centre would be in corringham nr stanford le hope (where i live now) and by car takes approx 5mins or so....there are two pubs there the Swan and the Bell and can recomend the bell for food as it has a good resturant.......the people there are friendy enough too...by car you are about 15/20 mins from lakeside or you have Basildon shopping centre which is would take about 10mins to get to in a car...if you like quiet village life Hordon is lovley..but u really do need a car otherwise it can be quite isolated and buses do run run through but not many..xx

Thanks wifey, thats the problem i need to learn to drive, is there a high school there? if there is how far is it?

There's no high school in Horndon on the Hill - the closest is St Cleres in Stanford-le-Hope where my son and my nephew who lived in Hordon attended. My nephew used to cycle to school each day - it didn't take him long - all down hill on the way there - only downside is its obviously up hill on the way back !!!

Its a fairly long walk if you don't drive though.

I can also recommend a good driving instructor who lives very close by - he taught my son, nephew and lots of their friends (pm me if you would like his details).

My nephew now lives in Holland and came back to the UK for a two week holiday simply to pass his test - he had never had any lessons up until then - he did pass but it wasn't that easy to do it that quickly and it was also quite expensive.

You really do need to drive to live in Horndon on the Hill as it is isolated.

Karen

Guest LondonGal
Whats wrong with AUSTRALIA to live????????

There's lots wrong with AUSTRALIA to live if it cant provide you with what you want out of life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest D4nnyB0y

I was born in Basildon and lived my first 10 years in Wickford, but don't recall ever hearing of this place. Might have something to do with the fact I left there 25 years ago :err:

Guest cazbeckham

Embydoops

So what is the reason for going home?

And London Girl what is there in UK that you can't get from life here apart from missing family and friends which we all do immensely.

Whatever you people decide on going home I do wish you all the very best

Guest LondonGal
Embydoops

So what is the reason for going home?

And London Girl what is there in UK that you can't get from life here apart from missing family and friends which we all do immensely.

Whatever you people decide on going home I do wish you all the very best

I think your above comment (and previous post) is naïve and condescending.

There is so much that the UK offers that Australia doesn’t and anyone who doesn’t believe that is living in cloud cuckoo land. On the other hand though there is a lot that Australia offers that the UK doesn’t. It depends on what floats your boat and what you are willing to compromise on. I see you are in QLD so you may have everything you want and it may be harder for you to comprehend just how isolated Perth is not only from the world but the rest of Australia. That is exactly why some people love it though.

For me it’s not just F & F but the whole thing of belonging somewhere and feeling part of something, and tens of other big and little things that may not mean anything or be important to someone like yourself who is happy in Australia but mean the world to someone who wants to or is returning to the UK.

I’m not going to start a *** for tat post about what I can’t get in Perth as anyone who lives here and is objective knows it’s positives and negatives and I don’t feel the need to justify my decision to return or my views on Perth but suffice to say that what I want is different to what others who live here and are happy want.

For many people Australia (and Perth) does offer people everything they want out of life but Perth can’t give ME (any many others) the diverse, challenging, culturally fulfilling and fun life that I would like and used to have in the UK.

Thanks wifey, thats the problem i need to learn to drive, is there a high school there? if there is how far is it?

hey, yes there is a secondary school but again that is in stanford le hope, but there is a bus that runs to the school St Clares..and its a pretty good school by al accounts (my children are at the other secondary school Gable Hall).....but i am sure there is a bus that does a school run!!!! if you need anty more help just PM :realmad:

Archived