parent visas

Guest Chrissy

Guest Chrissy

hi, could anyone tell me what the difference is between visas 143 and 103...apart from the fee! On the website they seem the same.

my parents are exploring the possibilty of coming here to join us, we are there only family so i as far as i can see they are ok there. they are in good health, apart from age realated diabetes which is controlled by tablets. they are both 68.

has anyone had any experiences of these visas, or recommend an agent to help them.

i just need to point them in the right direction.

many thanks

Guest JoanneHattersley
hi, could anyone tell me what the difference is between visas 143 and 103...apart from the fee! On the website they seem the same.

my parents are exploring the possibilty of coming here to join us, we are there only family so i as far as i can see they are ok there. they are in good health, apart from age realated diabetes which is controlled by tablets. they are both 68.

has anyone had any experiences of these visas, or recommend an agent to help them.

i just need to point them in the right direction.

many thanks

Hi there, Welcome to PIO

The 143 is the contributory parent visa. CPV Contributory Parent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 143)

The 103 information is here Parent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 103)

Im not completely sure what the differences are. The CPV involves a big lot of money and someone to sponsor you for the assurance of support. The bond for that is $14000 and that is held for 10 years.

Firstly, do you meet the balance of family test? How many children do Mum and Dad have and where are they living?

Thats the first thing to answer!

Guest threespire

Hi Chrissy,

As Jo says the big difference is the money. Essentially the 2 visas are the same (in terms of what they allow your parents to do) but one - the CPV- requires your parents to pay a contribution to the Australian govt as teh second instalment of the visa fee which is approx $32,000 each and is calculated as a % of what the govt. expects it will cost them to have your parents there - healthcare etc.

The 103 does not have this fee.

Because of the cost difference, the 103 has a 10 year (approx) waiting list at present and the 143 CPV is 18 months - 2 years.

Hope that helps?

Kirsty x

Guest Chrissy

thanks jo and threespire. is that fee definately each or per visa? on a cpv can they claim aus pension, or is it just for medicare?

Guest threespire

Hi Chrissy,

It's definitely each unfortunately. This is the piece from CPV section of the immi website explaining it.......

How much will this visa cost?

You must pay a visa application charge when you lodge your visa application. This application charge covers you and all family members included in your application and will usually not be refunded if your application is unsuccessful, or if you decide to withdraw your application after you have lodged it. A second visa application charge for each person included in the application is also required before the visa is granted.

My parents are getting all their info together to apply for a CPV at present so we've been researching it. My sis is an Australian PR already and she will be their sponsor - so she has to put up $14,000 bond too !

Not entirely sure on the pension / medicare side of things for them - I've left it up to my Dad to research, but from memory, when I scanned about pensions for us in later life I think you have to be an Oz ciotizen or PR for 10 years before retirement to qualify for what they call the "Age pension". Don't quote me on that though!!

They can transfer their UK pension over, but its fixed at point of transfer so for example if UK state pension is £100 per week now (I have no clue what it really is but just as an example!!) they will continue to get £100 per week even if UK pension rises to £150 or £200 or whatever in the future. There is no reciprocal agreement between the 2 countries to amend it.

Hope that helps,

kirsty x

Australia doesnt have an age pension like UK - and your parents wont be able to access whatever aged social security benefits there are until they have been here for 10 years - and it will be means tested as well. I suspect there will be moves to tighten the means test for age benefits even further than they currently are as we have less and less in the kitty to cover them. There is a strong expectation that people will be self supporting in their retirement hence the superannuation contributions we all make.

Guest JoanneHattersley

CPV holders CAN access benefits but the money comes out of the bond that is paid. So if you claim $4000 in benefits for something you will only have $10000 left. Hope that makes sense

Archived