Thinking of going back

Guest Mannys04

Hi we the same have been here 3 years and are heading back maybe March(ish)2010. we have liked living here initially but now it beginning to grind on myself and my OH. as well as the kids, we the same live in a massive housing estate with loads of "Poms" and i am sick of hearing "Oh not another POM!!! I actually got finished from my job of 2 half yrs and there lame excuse was "Your accent gets on the supervisors nerves" i am now jobless, i have since lost my home cause we could not pay the ridiculous home loan with a fixed interest rate/ hence havin to pay $28,000 get out penalty as the interest rates dropped!!!

then to top it all off, my MIL was diagnosed with breast cancer and my sister had a baby!! our families helped us get back in Sept 08 and as soon as we landed all 4 of us loved every minute of it "catchin up with family, eating proper food, local pubs, wacky warehouses, costco, light nights, green grass, chippies, cheese n onion pasties, cider, morning dew, landscapes, castles, museums (that arnt just about captain cook and kangaroos) indoor heated public swimming pools, sense of humour, talkin in your own accent and not being looked at with a blank face and "AY" speak in english !!!!!the feeling of belonging, security and happiness!!!!

we went to great premiership "footy" games !!!! not "soccer" visited holland and scotland !!!!! and most importantly got to spend time with the MIL and my new nephew!!!! as the time came nearer for us to "come back" we all stood in the airport crying and no-one spoke for the 1st hr of the flight.

it was horrendous!!!!

we have since come back tried to stay positive!!! but we just cannot settle!!!! as you said you make friends over here, but you have "no history". when we went back my jaw ached whenever we talked about the things we did as kids or with old school mates. The only time i genuinely laugh these days is when i see funny comments off them all on "Facebook"

we are just in the process of sortin removalists and flights ect, as well as sortin kids out with schools in the UK!

going home will either make or break your decision "to stay". it changed my kids just one last thing! when we were home we went to a family party in a hired hall and my 6 yr old who was only 2 when we came out said "hey mum are ALL these people my family, wow that is AWESOME!!!! then she said i wanna stay here forever everyone is so happy!!!! (they were all probably drunk LOL)

then my 11 yr old said on the plane comin back to AUS:" hey mum whatever made you want to make the desicion of denying yourself and us a life without your mum, and sister and all them lovely people who you call YOUR FAMILY!!!

enough said!!!!

good luck with it all keep us posted!!!!

It's uncanny how different we all see Australia.

I can't help thinking after reading your list of things you missed from the UK that you were always doomed to never settle in Australia. Why on earth would you travel all this way and settle in a neighourhood surrounded by Poms ? I've lived in Sydney for many years and my friends are a pretty mixed bunch. Your reference to real food raised a chuckle. The choice of food in Australia is in a different league from the UK. Whenever I'm home for a visit it's the one thing I struggle with. Trying to find something to eat that's not deep fried can be a challenge. There are some things I miss about the UK but the food isn't one. I hope you settle back into the UK again. It sounds like you had plenty of familly support over there, something you won't find in Australia.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived