UK Tax Credits

KIRK AND CO

Guess what open my bank account on line & there was sitting £400 tax credits. Fantastic you would think but I have told them over & over again that I do not want them. Two years ago they paid us £5000 which we paid back with endless calls telling them to stop the money.Last year we got through to them we got no payments & now its started all over again.We tell them our salary combind is very high well over the average & we do not qualify but it keeps on coming. We will be in oz by November so do we give up telling them & just put it into a seperate bank account & let it build up ? what would you all do ?

Guest claire&fred

We had the same problem. 2 months before we left I rang saying we were off to Oz. They said "great that's fine will update your details, your payments will stop". Well, bugger me, they did not, they carried on paying us. Even after 3 more phone calls we were still being paid. I also rang them from here and still no luck, in the end I wrote them a long rude letter. The payments stopped and I wanted to return what they had paid but trying to get the details to return it to was near on impossible. Then they said we owed them more money. I was MAD. Another rude letter and lo and behold received a letter from them apologising for all the inconvenience and we did not owe them anything. However, still keep getting those stupid forms through from them. I returned the last lot with a copy of their letter telling them to leave us alone and stop wasting trees.

Claire

hi there uk tax credits did this to us as well but ours was for a small amount for 2.5k after we paid this all back even tho it wasnt our fault i got in touch with them again to claim the payment back and they paid us back every penny we paid them due to there error tax credits is a nightmare but stay very strong headed with them and if your still being ignored with what your telling them just leave it so when it does blow up and they say you owe us payments back keep a diary of dates and times when you called them they keep call logs of up to 5 years hope this helps good luck !

Guest itskaren
Guess what open my bank account on line & there was sitting £400 tax credits. Fantastic you would think but I have told them over & over again that I do not want them. Two years ago they paid us £5000 which we paid back with endless calls telling them to stop the money.Last year we got through to them we got no payments & now its started all over again.We tell them our salary combind is very high well over the average & we do not qualify but it keeps on coming. We will be in oz by November so do we give up telling them & just put it into a seperate bank account & let it build up ? what would you all do ?

I called the child benefit agency and the tax credits agency that we were emigrating to oz. Months went past when I checked my UK bank. they had deposited over 4k in there!!!

I contacted them by phone from Australia and they were adament that we were due it. I knew we were not as we have quite high salaries.

To cut a long story short, I gave them my address in Oz for future reference. I had a 'final demand' to repay back the money. They denied that I ever called them. I manage to get a copy of the teleohone conversation with me stating that i want the payments to stop.

18 months down the line I am repaying the money back by installemts as we spent the money but only because they insisted the money was ours!!!!

It is so frustrating. They are just a bunch of idiots!!!!:arghh:

I called the child benefit agency and the tax credits agency that we were emigrating to oz. Months went past when I checked my UK bank. they had deposited over 4k in there!!!

I contacted them by phone from Australia and they were adament that we were due it. I knew we were not as we have quite high salaries.

To cut a long story short, I gave them my address in Oz for future reference. I had a 'final demand' to repay back the money. They denied that I ever called them. I manage to get a copy of the teleohone conversation with me stating that i want the payments to stop.

18 months down the line I am repaying the money back by installemts as we spent the money but only because they insisted the money was ours!!!!

It is so frustrating. They are just a bunch of idiots!!!!:arghh:

Thankyou for your thoughts we are going to put it into a seperate account & let it build up untill the day they ask for it back if that ever comes & only use the interest.

Guest LukeSkywalker
let it build up untill the day they ask for it back if that ever comes & only use the interest.

Hm Not sure they will do that now - the UK government is just about to (or has just) passed a bit of legislation that lets them charge you interest in anything that you get overpaid. And it is part of the reciprocals tax agreement - which means as I understand it they can sequester cash from you in Oz. Why not just close down the bank account and open a new one if you want a bank in the UK? As with anything to do with the government, they make the mistakes, and we end up paying ................

I would put it all in a separate bank account and let it sit, to be honest I don't think Gordon Browns bloated tax department really does not know what it is doing as he has made taxation such a complicated business, all he has suceeded is doing is wasting millions of our pounds on extra staff to administer it all, and on all the tax refunds and credits they have had to right off as they will never get it back when paid out in error.

The worst thing that can happen is they write to you asking for it all back, and if you have it pay it, or argue your case and keep it.

If you haven't lied to the tax department, you have nothing to worry about.

Archived