Confused Bricklayer!

Guest The Boultons

Guest The Boultons

Hi Newish to the site and maybe this question has been asked and answered before - but could do with a bit of help!

I'm a self employed builder in UK, you know the sort extensions, patios and garden walls. A bit of plastering and roofing thrown in as well. You know, do the whole shell and leave the electrics and plumbing to the experts. I've had a look at the Building Work Contractors licence and am totally confused! I did my city in guilds course but because the work was so good all those years ago didn't get my final certificate.

Anbody got any ideas what I need to do? Can anyone explain the licence? Also been looking on the jobs webites and can't find any bricklaying jobs do they call it something else or is it a word of mouth thing when youfinally get there?

Would be very gratefull for any help especially as it looks as the spurs are out of the cup I need a boost! OK back to both eyes watching Berbatov miss another chance!

Bill

COME ON YOU SPURS!

cant answer any of your questions........but the referee is bluddy rubbish!!!!! he needs glasses...................the head stamping incident just shows how blind he is!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Hi Newish to the site and maybe this question has been asked and answered before - but could do with a bit of help!

I'm a self employed builder in UK, you know the sort extensions, patios and garden walls. A bit of plastering and roofing thrown in as well. You know, do the whole shell and leave the electrics and plumbing to the experts. I've had a look at the Building Work Contractors licence and am totally confused! I did my city in guilds course but because the work was so good all those years ago didn't get my final certificate.

Anbody got any ideas what I need to do? Can anyone explain the licence? Also been looking on the jobs webites and can't find any bricklaying jobs do they call it something else or is it a word of mouth thing when youfinally get there?

Hi, I would think you would get loads of advice on here as alot of the peeps really know their stuff!!

I don't think that the certificates matter too much as long as you have ex amont of years experience and can get references to back this up i.e. ex employers, contracts, accounts etc.. Also as long as there was not a big career break in the middle of your work experience. Sure they need bricklayers as it was on the Wanted Down Under programme someone on there was a bricklayer.

Gd luck

Guest mandyg

Hi bricklayers sre under the skill name of bricklayers in oz just the same as here. Now a few weeks ago bricklayers was on the wanted skills list for oz. But when i looked on another list today it was not on that one. Anyway i know bricklayers are wanted down under my hubbys mate as just gone over to oz to do brickying. You will have no problem finding work over there apparantly loads of work for you. I have the name of some websites for construction work if your intrested email me and il forward them on to you my e mail address is takethat2007@hotmail.co.uk

My hubbys a scaffolder and not on the wanted skills list but been told there still in demand over there but the list changes from time to time and if you can get a job offer before you go out there its better for your visa application maybe try emailing some firms out there and you may get a reply good luck if you need any help just e mail me and il do my best to help you out and if i cant someone else will.

regards mandy

Guest The Boultons

Well that's it. All over for another year. My kids are going to be bed with tears in their eyes, never mind this time next year.......

Guest THE JONEZYS

Sorry about spurs. My blittle bro' is a passionate member of the yid army and enroled my 2 older boys as junior spurs members, they had season tickets, used to get birthday n crimbo cards off some cockeral thing, the lot. They are now 20 and 18...............the 20yo is a.........wait for it........a goona. The other a follower of the mighty

MAN UTD.......... 7. 1 AND ALL THAT!!

I think my bro' is probabley glad his nephews emmigrated! Altho' the goona is now back in the UK just to terrorise him!

Any way........back to bricklayers. My oh is a brickie and the same as most didn't finish his City & Guilds. We had to get a letter from his old college to say that he did attend and completed 2 years of the 3 year course and was a good boy!

As for jobs.....most are advertised in the local papers or not at all. I ts just like the UK, you will have more chance of a start by walking on site and asking for one.

Where in Aus are you heading, if we can help, we will. PM us if you have any more questions.

All the best.

The Jonezys

Hi Bill

My hubby a bricklayer and Spurs fan also! We went to Perth 2003, but as hubby only been bricklaying in UK for 6months, didn't know enough to go on the trowel, so went back to labouring. He got a job easy enough, all where listed in the local paper!

Been back in UK for 3.5years and hubby been learning bricklaying on site, going back to Perth next year so hopefully he'll be able to get a job ok.

I've looked at recruitment sites but there was no jobs for bricklayers so got sister to send me Perth's local paper, there were hundreds listed.

I emailed some Subby in Perth who I managed to get details of and he reckons you don't need certificates, goes on experience, just like here I guess!

Where are you planning on going anyway?

Good luck with your application.

Sam xx

Guest The Boultons

Hi Sam and all you others who replied. Thanks a bunch for the info made the wife feel a bit better. We are kind of planning on South Australia at the moment. Any body got any contacts in the building trades there? Good luck to you all.

Any body wanna take bets on West Ham's survival?

Predictions for the bottom 3?

Guest scott 1979

Im a bricky mate and just had my visa granted . I have all my papers from college etc but i think the main thing is that you have been laying bricks for a period of 7 years

you should have been doing it and need to proove 3 of the last 4 years laying bricks and most important 12 of the last 18 months laying bricks if that has made sense to you As long as you show you have extensive knowledge on why things are done and how you should not have any problems and for jobs look in the Australian newspapers found on the internet i cant tell you how to do that cos our lass does all that for me

Guest The Boultons

Thanks Scott,

Been a brickie 20 years!!!! and on my own for the last 8, so I reckon photos and referees from past jobs should be ok?

Good luck Scot - let us know where you end up, never know could meet up for a beer or three!

Guest scott 1979

just read your reply mate i asked my agent if i needed photos and she said NO i didnt

All they ask for is detailed references and proof of pay ; EG CIS vouchers or wage slips or even copies of your own tax returns

Were going to sydney pal and maybe yes we could have a beer or 5 eh Good luck mate

Guest The Boultons

Luck to you and yours.

Sydney eh? Any reason? - thinking Perth suburbs the wife's god parents are there.

Keep intouch let us know how goes it.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...
Guest drew&pud

Hi ya mate

I'm a brickie who's been working for a company building conservatory bases, alterations and so on for years

we are having our meds the week after next and hope to go to Brisbane mid September

Like you have'nt seen too many bricklaying jobs online, so hoping that newspapers or just going onsite and asking is the way to go-"Gis a job" that sort of thing

Guest scott 1979

yep sydney mate i have an uncle there he has been there since 1988 and weve been for holidays and stuff and think its great there were hoping fingers srossed to be there before july

Guest scott 1979

My uncle is a plumber over there so i,m hoping he can sort me something out via his contacts etc. But i also have alot of mates there that could help make it easier for me to find work (fingers crossed). Because ive been a couple of times i half know what to expect thats why im going in their winter so it isnt too hot and that way we will climateise better i hope

Guest The Boultons

Sounds like you've got a plan. Hope it all goes well for you Scott let us know how it goes.

Good luck with the medicals drew and pud!

By the way did either you apply as self employed? They want ref's off the suppliers I used trouble is I'm a cash only when it comes to paying the bills. Any ideas how to get round it?

Cheers Bill

Archived