Confused over 457 medicals

Guest topscot

Guest topscot

I am a nurse going to Perth, I have begun the 457 online application but am a bit confused about the medicals. I am going with my husband and 2 kids (15 & 10). For a 457 who needs to get a medicals, X rays and blood tests, i am getting conflicting opinion and also do we send by post the medicals or do we upload them online.:arghh:

Guest chris_mac
I am a nurse going to Perth, I have begun the 457 online application but am a bit confused about the medicals. I am going with my husband and 2 kids (15 & 10). For a 457 who needs to get a medicals, X rays and blood tests, i am getting conflicting opinion and also do we send by post the medicals or do we upload them online.:arghh:

Hi topscot

You all will need to do medicals, bloods and Xrays however the 10 year old will not need xrays and bloods.

The Doctor who undertakes the Medical will send the results direct to the assessing aurthority.

Please see link to informative website with Q&As

Medical Q & A's - Medical questions, Australian medicals, Visas and medicals

Best wishes

Chris

Guest cityfan

hiya, just got offered a job on monday in brissie, going on 457....been told my children and i (11 & 13yrs) will need medicals and chest xrays. however my hubby only needs chest xray as he's not working in education or nursing.....

sounds odd to me but thats what i've been told to arrange....as we will put in a 175 application before we leave he wil have one anyway for this but not needed for 457!!!

there is an address in sydney i have been given to send them to....

Guest sylcaddies

Hi there - I too am a nurse and going on 457 visa. I was advised that only myself needed a medical, blood tests and chest X-ray as I am working in a hospital. Got these done 23rd June 09. My hubby only needed chest X-ray. Hubby is a spray painter. Got these done 24th June 09. However, at the medical I was discussing with the doctor the fact that hubby has slightly raised blood pressure for which he takes small amount of medication, and she said that DIAC may ask for him to have medical too, but this is not a certainty. So unless your hubby has a pre-existing medical condition, I would say that only yourself and your children will need medicals etc. Best of luck with everything.

Sylvia

Guest cityfan
Hi there - I too am a nurse and going on 457 visa. I was advised that only myself needed a medical, blood tests and chest X-ray as I am working in a hospital. Got these done 23rd June 09. My hubby only needed chest X-ray. Hubby is a spray painter. Got these done 24th June 09. However, at the medical I was discussing with the doctor the fact that hubby has slightly raised blood pressure for which he takes small amount of medication, and she said that DIAC may ask for him to have medical too, but this is not a certainty. So unless your hubby has a pre-existing medical condition, I would say that only yourself and your children will need medicals etc. Best of luck with everything.

Sylvia

Hi, where abouts are you going to??.....geneva agency have sent me some info that states ONLY ME has to have med n xray....spouse and children do not need anything unless they have stayed in a high risk country in the last few years!.....as they haven't I have only booked med and xray for myself next week...hope they are right!.....i'm just bothered about my weight!!!!!.....no illness at all, no medication, not even got any past medical history but I am a tad overweight!!!....hope this doesn't fail it for me!!!

good luck with the move, i am heading for the wesley in brisbane!:jiggy:

Guest topscot

I have done the online application and it has told me that only myself needs medical and has only let me download forms for myself

Guest rodly

Hi

We are here on my husband's 457, we all had to have medicals and x-rays, me and my 2 children. We have had 3 457's and every time it was re-issued we all had to have medicals and x-rays again, we now glow in the dark! When we had them done in Scotland, the doctor posted the results onto immigration. We just did medicals and x-rays for PR and this time we had to have blood test for HIV. We did find the medicals in UK a little more thourgh, than the ones done in Sydney immigration office, but still nothing to worry about. Good luck with it

Guest sylcaddies

Hi Cityfan

I would double check with the doctor doing the medicals and X-rays about the need for spouse and others to have these done. I used Glasgow. I had met the doctor before at the Emigrate show in Edinburgh in February and she remembered me and questions I had asked her then about hubby and health. The X-rays cost £60 each, but personally if it is just a chest X-ray then I would get one done anyway and send it - better to play safe. Medicals on the other hand are more expensive (£280 for mine) so hubby's will only be done if necessary.

Sylvia

ps forgot to say we are heading to Langwarrin, just south of Melbourne

Guest dawn42

Hi Topscot

Applied on line for E457visa , I am a nurse and only I had to have the medical, my husband and children did not . I know we will all need them for a PR Visa but it is a great saving not to have them done on this visa for now ,also medicals have a limited shelf life so it is best for every one to have medicals once application for PR has started and you have been informed to do so.

Good Luck Dawn

Guest topscot
Hi Topscot

Applied on line for E457visa , I am a nurse and only I had to have the medical, my husband and children did not . I know we will all need them for a PR Visa but it is a great saving not to have them done on this visa for now ,also medicals have a limited shelf life so it is best for every one to have medicals once application for PR has started and you have been informed to do so.

Good Luck Dawn

Thanks Dawn, that is the way i read it aswell, but i needed advice because i don't want to get it wrong at this stage. I don't want to take the word of the doctor because they are only in it to make money so the more they put through the better for them. When did you do your medicals and have you had feedback from OZ.

Guest dawn42

Hi Topscot

I had my medical, bloods and chest xray on the 09/06/09 , I initially had us all booked in but cancelled my hubbies and childrens the day before we were booked in. The Doctor said he couldnt advise but I went ahead and just had mine. I submitted my online application on the 16/06/09 and my medicals were acknowledged on the 01/07/09 . I have had no messages to say any further medicals are required or a police check is required.

So I am hoping I might have a decision in next 4 weeks due to start my job in November !!!

Hope this helps

Guest cityfan
Hi Topscot

Good Luck Dawn

Hi, I have done the same, booked meds for me only. I am already registered with the QNC but have sent modified skills assessment to the ANMC for pr purposes. They have acknowledged my application on june 10th so I am just waiting for the number then we can put in for pr before we leave.....hopefully 457 visa will be sorted in next couple of months and we will be in Brisbane by the time meds are due for my hubby and girls for the 175....starting to feel sooo excited but nervous too!!!

Hope all goes well for you....

Melanie....xxx

Guest topscot
Hi Topscot

I had my medical, bloods and chest xray on the 09/06/09 , I initially had us all booked in but cancelled my hubbies and childrens the day before we were booked in. The Doctor said he couldnt advise but I went ahead and just had mine. I submitted my online application on the 16/06/09 and my medicals were acknowledged on the 01/07/09 . I have had no messages to say any further medicals are required or a police check is required.

So I am hoping I might have a decision in next 4 weeks due to start my job in November !!!

Hope this helps

Thanks Dawn, your situation exactly mirrors ours i have booked for all of us on Thursday but when i did my application on-line it only provided forms for me thats what got me thinking. My hospital says they will help with PR after 6 months so we are going to see how it goes and start it then. We have'nt been to OZ before so we want to suck it and see before we go to PR. Where are you going to work we hope to leave 3rd October visa permitting

Guest Heather Loomes

Ok, you've all got me worried now. We're moving to Melbourne in 5 weeks on a 457 visa. We were originally told by agent that we would need to have chest x-rays only but not to have them done until he told us to. Our visas came through without us having had them done and when I chased him up on it he said that the rules had been changed and we no longer needed to have them done!!! HELP!

Guest dawn42

Hi

Got a job at Mount Hospital Perth, they have been very patient , had the offer since March, Visa permitting will fly out 26/10/09 to start 7th Nov. I didnt reralise and still havnt seen it written anywhere but apparently according to my Employers we can only arrive within 2 weeks of starting my job!! Had planned to to arrive 4 weeks before but not to worry.We havnt been either just, hoping we all settle in !

How about you where are you goingto be working

Guest Heather Loomes

No Dawn, My husband has been offered a job, I have no plans to work for a while until house / school etc sorted out. Just a bit worried that everyone else seems to have to have some form of medical or at least a chest x-ray.

Guest shawgorbys

HI all we are to going on a 457 visa my hubby has got the job offer we went had our meds done in manchester hubby &me had just xrays and our 14yr old twins had a full check up urine sample and xrays and i think all together it cost about £700 pounds and they run out in sept so god knows

Guest dawn42

Hi Heather as I understand it , they have made changes and the medical form 26 has changed to make the process quicker !

Guest topscot
Hi

Got a job at Mount Hospital Perth, they have been very patient , had the offer since March, Visa permitting will fly out 26/10/09 to start 7th Nov. I didnt reralise and still havnt seen it written anywhere but apparently according to my Employers we can only arrive within 2 weeks of starting my job!! Had planned to to arrive 4 weeks before but not to worry.We havnt been either just, hoping we all settle in !

How about you where are you goingto be working

I am going to work at Fremantle hospital. I only found out last week about the 14 day thing they also like you to meet there set oriantation week my hospitals oriantation is 8 days after we arrive so not very happy about that. We have got a 6 week rental in Port Kennedy just booked it last week.

Guest cityfan

hi....again!!!

i have found out today that the 457 visa is only granted two weeks before the start date given by the new employer...i am gutted to be honest, we were hoping to be out about a month before...does any one know, if we came on a holiday visa....do we have to leave australia and re-enter on the 457???

Guest sylcaddies

Hi everyone

Now I am confused!!! How did you hear that 457s are only granted two weeks before your start date? I had read on this forum somewhere that it was four weeks, other people seem to have got theirs more than four weeks before......now I don't have a clue. It's very frustrating being left in limbo isn't it!!! How do they expect folk to plan, get flight tickets etc if you only have two weeks notice!!!

Anyone know what is going on?

Sylvia

Guest Heather Loomes

We've had our 457 visas since tha 18th May and we don't fly to Oz until 7th Aug! I'm really confused with all of this - is it dependant on what type of job you are going to be doing?

Archived