Calling all NSW teachers!!

Guest darling number 1

Guest darling number 1

Hi there,

I am moving to Sydney next month, but have some reservations about teaching there (becoming registered, etc). Has anyone been through this process and is willing to share any pearls of wisdom? I know that the independent sector is much easier (in terms of paper work) to find a job. I am a secondary business studies teacher, qualified to teach economics (but never actually taught it), could teach commerce and have 1 yr experience teaching ICT (Key stage 3).

Do I have a resaonable chance of finding a job (either public or private sector) do you think? Is there anything I should know when applying for teaching posts in this subject/linked subjects?

Many thanks in advance,

Darling number 1

Guest boomerangpommie

To teach in the public sector, you need to get approval from the NSW Education Department and this involves quite a lengthy process where you have to provide them with all of your certified documentation regarding training and employment but you can do the application form online. Part of the approval process is also that you then need to do a two-week induction course to learn about the curriculum etc and you go into school and have to be observed etc and then there is an interview. The following link will help:

https://www.det.nsw.edu.au/employment/teachnsw/overseas.htm

To teach in Catholic schools, which are fee-paying, you need to register with the Sydney Catholic Education Office (CEO), this also involves going through your paperwork and then getting a PIN number but this is quite a quick process and if I remember correctly, you also need to register with the NSW Institute of Teachers. The catholic schools advertise vacancies on the CEO website, in the Sydney Herald on Saturdays and on teachers.on.net Private schools are completely autonomous and advertise in the papers and on teachers.on.net and their own school websites and will just look at your application as it comes in without you being registered anywhere central (maybe with NSW Institute of Teachers but you could do that later). To get a job in a state school, you will be placed on a register once you have approval and then will be placed where you are needed, not necessarily a nice school, you have to work there in order to accrue points which then help you move to a more desirable school. I'm also not sure how easy it is to get a permanent post. You may have to do casual (supply) first.

I never got approval after waiting 8 months for them to look at my paperwork (they didn't like my degree - in Australia it needs to be in the subject that you are teaching) but I did get some casual work in an independent school and a Catholic school. Schools don't tend to make great use of teaching supply agencies like here, so to get casual work, you will need to send your CV to individual schools who will call you up if they need you and then if they like you, will keep calling you back. You need your CEO PIN number before you send your CV to a Catholic school.

There is a lady on here, Quoll, who knows loads more than me and I'm sure she will be along shortly and be able to fill in any gaps....

Good luck!!

Archived