Need cheering up!! Annerley is yuk

Guest shelly69

Guest shelly69

Hello out there. Am nurse out here in Brizzy with my son who'se 8. Been here 5 months and although have met a few people am in need of more friends to keep me from wanting to give up and go back to England! Just missing friends and family but actually like it here on the whole. Lots to do, just need people to do them with. Let me know if anyone around Moorooka, Annerley area wants to get together? Need to stay sane for little chappy of mine....

Guest ragdoll annie

Hi Shelly,

I am on the gold coast if that's not too far away.......not got little ones (got 1 chappy 15yr old, geeky) happy to chat if you want to..

Annie

Guest shelly69

Hi Annie, thanks for that offer. Would love to chat! Actually have started to think lately about moving to the Gold Coast because wondering why I have moved to other side of world for if not actually getting the quality of life that I moved for.. get me? Have got small support system here though and being an hour half away (want to go to Palm Beach area) might just be too much. Still thinking about it..

Guest Noodle

Hi there, I am one of those on the other side of the world from you but just thought I would send you my best wishes and bump up for you. x

Guest shelly69

Just had a long talk on the phone with my little sis in England, I miss her!!

By the way, thanks to the chap who sent me the personal message (can't seem to reply); I know what I am going through is prob fairly normal and will definitely hang in there for now. Things can only get better! Can't they???

hi there, it is tough when you got no support, im finding it really difficault at the moment, Im in Melbourne at the moment but looking to be closer to my friends up in QLD on the gold coast i wish i was there right now, Im here for a chat anytime, is it just you and your child? i applaud you if it is, im here with oh and 2 children and really suffering with severe Anixity its horrible, ive never had it before always been in control of everything ive done and do but this has taken over me and i know how lonely you can feel, feel free to pm anytime, we all need someone to chat to too it does help , take care

Guest homeiswheretheheartis

Hi,

Sorry to hear you're a bit in limbo at the moment. It is hard at times.

My advice is...

1) If you can move do it as, like you say, you have come a long way to live in the middle of a place that doesn't rock your world.

2) If you can, join a walking group. I joined 2 when I first came here and have made great friends from it.

3) Look at the RAW programme through the council. You get to try lots of activities and meet like minded people.

4) Look on the MEETUP website. There is a forum for Brits there and they have socials - all different types of meetings take place and it's seems to be quite a good way of connecting with people and meeting up.

Hope this helps. I am in Brissy. It can get lonely at times but I have learnt that you just have to get out there and join stuff...

All the best

Guest shelly69

Firstly, dear Dunscombe family (are you the lady of the house I presume?) - thank you so much for your best wishes; yes it is lonely but I am a fairly 'normal' person (who has moved to the other side of the world with her child and no family!!!) and so hope to meet more friends as time goes on. I just need to get my arse into gear and get out there. I am sorry to hear about your panic attacks - I have nursed people who have had them (used to work in A & E before moving to Oz) and I know it can be completely debilitating and very frightening. Maybe some 'therapy' or counselling might help? I would love to chat more to you but haven't worked out how to pm people yet. I will do when I have a spare minute.

Dear homeiswheretheheartis - thank you too for your good advice. I will definitely try what you are suggesting. I would love to do yoga or salsa one or two evenings a week but have yet to find a reliable babysitter (and one that doesn't charge too much preferably) so haven't got round to doing it yet. I just had a friend over for tea (she is a Pom) and am not completely alone, so I am sure I will be fine. I just need to get out there more, like you say. Too easy to sit infront of the telly after work/tea!!

Hello out there. Am nurse out here in Brizzy with my son who'se 8. Been here 5 months and although have met a few people am in need of more friends to keep me from wanting to give up and go back to England! Just missing friends and family but actually like it here on the whole. Lots to do, just need people to do them with. Let me know if anyone around Moorooka, Annerley area wants to get together? Need to stay sane for little chappy of mine....

Hi I am also a nurse and work at the PA i live in slacks creek but know marooka u r not far away if you want to do coffee any time or just need a chat pm me where are you working it is stressful i worked in ED for 8 yrs before my move but failed to settle here am now looking after prisoners and never a dull mo remember you are not alone my friend goes to dance class i am more than happy to offer baby sitting services (she is trying to persuade me to but not a ginger rodgers):laugh: I have older children but have lots of paediatric experience

Re the salsa desire, I have a fantastic friend who is a nurse, a Pom and does salsa on Friday and Saturday nights in the city.

Let me know if you find a ay sitter and you could meet up.

All the best,

hiwthi

I would love to do yoga or salsa one or two evenings a week but have yet to find a reliable babysitter (and one that doesn't charge too much preferably) so haven't got round to doing it yet. I just had a friend over for tea (she is a Pom) and am not completely alone, so I am sure I will be fine. I just need to get out there more, like you say. Too easy to sit infront of the telly after work/tea!!

What on earth made you settle in Moorooka, Annerley? its more like somalia than australia!

I worked in Yaronga and Tennyson and used to meet a few blokes in the rocklea tavern so I know the area well. Do yourself a favour and move or it will taint your views of aus' and you will become bitter and twisted like me.:wacko:

Guest shelly69

HIWTHI, is that salsa outside City Hall? I have heard about that and it sounds great, one of my patients told me about it (he is old and asked for my number to which I declined!) yes I must find a babysitter and get there. Actually I don't know if I have the guts to go on my own. I know I don't.

Aldo, the reason I moved to Moorooka is because my friend lives here - I grew up with her in England and she has been out here since she was 16, which is why I visited in the first place. I don't want to stay here and get stuck. Why are you bitter and twisted?

HIWTHI, is that salsa outside City Hall? I have heard about that and it sounds great, one of my patients told me about it (he is old and asked for my number to which I declined!) yes I must find a babysitter and get there. Actually I don't know if I have the guts to go on my own. I know I don't.

Aldo, the reason I moved to Moorooka is because my friend lives here - I grew up with her in England and she has been out here since she was 16, which is why I visited in the first place. I don't want to stay here and get stuck. Why are you bitter and twisted?

If you are young and single i would suggest toowong or indro' lots of units due to uni students in the area, a few of the rowing snobs but don't mind them.

I'm not realy bitter and twisted just a bit of a drama queen (so it seems:skeptical:)

Where do you work?

It's in West End at a place called Rio Rythmics in West End. I am not into dancing too much so I don't go (despite her warm invites)... let me know if you're up for it and message me and I'll speak to her. If you don't try, you'll never know.

Now wouldn't that be a waste?

Guest kazzy65

Hey Shelly, I would love to be out there to support you but I'm on the opposite side, Perth. Know exactly how you feel though babe. I can only offer my support via here but think we're in the same position and chatting always helps me. Keep going doll. Move to Perth and we'll make friends!!! I can't move to Brisbane (my ex husbands stepdaughter just moved out there - big place but don't want to take that chance of running into the bugger, haha). x:huh:

Guest shelly69

Oh it's lovely having a chat with so many good hearted people! I work at a small GP surgery as their practice nurse; feeling part of the family but very different from what I am used to and, if I am honest (I am), bit boring.

Not really young at all anymore (approaching 40 in couple of months) but will still look into the salsa thing - thanks.

Kazzy - would luuuurve to go to Perth one day. PM me will you and we can chat some more. My dad is from Huddersfield so have very soft spot for you Yorkshireuns..

Guest kazzy65
Oh it's lovely having a chat with so many good hearted people! I work at a small GP surgery as their practice nurse; feeling part of the family but very different from what I am used to and, if I am honest (I am), bit boring.

Not really young at all anymore (approaching 40 in couple of months) but will still look into the salsa thing - thanks.

Kazzy - would luuuurve to go to Perth one day. PM me will you and we can chat some more. My dad is from Huddersfield so have very soft spot for you Yorkshireuns..

No way!!!! I'm from Huddersfield too. Where in Huddersfield is your dad from? I moved over to Barnsley about 5 years before coming to Oz which was only 5 weeks ago, but my parents still live in Huddersfield so I used to go quite regularly.

I'm a young at heart 44 year old and it would be excellent to meet up if ever we could arrange it. I'm on cardiothoracic and it's really good, they're all very nice staff and have made me very welcome, but again like you I feel that it's very very different from nursing back home.

Keep in touch Shelly and as you say we'll chat some more. Going in to work now!!!

Archived