Multi-skilled engineer TRA - Help!!

Guest ann1e

Guest ann1e

Hi all :) , My wife & I live in South Wales UK with 2 grown up kids & a 16 year old doing his GCSEs.

My wife has been looking at this forum for quite a while now while I investigate the TRA application form etc.

As you can gather, we are looking at emigrating. This must be within the next 18 months before I get too old [i was 43 in January]. The 16 year old will travel on our visa whilst the other 2 will travel on their own visas.

We have eventually sat down together to thrash out the my job description as I couldn't decide whether my trade was electrical or electrical engineer - we have hit a bit of a brick wall. :rofl:

My apprenticeship was electrical with British Coal [9 years] / Electrician with Rover group / electrical - mechanical paper mills / multi-skilled maintenance technician & then 9 years as Maintenance Engineer within the automotive industry.

We know we have to put my base trade which is electrical but the description seems to direct it more towards domestic electrical installations etc am I right in thinking this?

What I need to know is - what would my base trade be? General electrician [ASCO code 4311-11 TRA - assessing authority] or Electrical engineer [ASCO code 2125-11 Engineers Australia - assessing authority] or Electricians supervisor [ASCO code 4311-01 TRA assessing authority]:confused:

We would appreciate anyones comments as we want to ensure we send my details to the correct assessing authority to eliminate any delays or additional costs.

:goofy:

Guest gjsjdjkd
Hi all :) , My wife & I live in South Wales UK with 2 grown up kids & a 16 year old doing his GCSEs.

My wife has been looking at this forum for quite a while now while I investigate the TRA application form etc.

As you can gather, we are looking at emigrating. This must be within the next 18 months before I get too old [i was 43 in January]. The 16 year old will travel on our visa whilst the other 2 will travel on their own visas.

We have eventually sat down together to thrash out the my job description as I couldn't decide whether my trade was electrical or electrical engineer - we have hit a bit of a brick wall. :rofl:

My apprenticeship was electrical with British Coal [9 years] / Electrician with Rover group / electrical - mechanical paper mills / multi-skilled maintenance technician & then 9 years as Maintenance Engineer within the automotive industry.

We know we have to put my base trade which is electrical but the description seems to direct it more towards domestic electrical installations etc am I right in thinking this?

What I need to know is - what would my base trade be? General electrician [ASCO code 4311-11 TRA - assessing authority] or Electrical engineer [ASCO code 2125-11 Engineers Australia - assessing authority] or Electricians supervisor [ASCO code 4311-01 TRA assessing authority]:confused:

We would appreciate anyones comments as we want to ensure we send my details to the correct assessing authority to eliminate any delays or additional costs.

G'Day

I am a South African qualified electrician, but multi-skilled mechanically. I also completed my Diploma in Engineering studies.I have been in Oz since Feb 06 having lived and worked in the UK for 6 years prior to emmigrating to OZ. Have a look at http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1121i.pdf to see what trade you fit into. I would probably say Electrician (Special Class) 4311-13. Refer below for a comprehensive description of what is required for the above. This was taken from an assessment that I had done by liveinaustralia.com.

Your Nominated Occupation: Electrician - Special Class

ASCO Code: 4311-13

ASCO Job Description: General:

Services and repairs intricate and complex electrical or electronic circuitry.

Tasks Include:

- diagnoses and repairs faults in electrical circuitry which is of a complex nature

- analyses drawings and specifications to determine sequences and methods of operation

- uses electrical and electronic test instruments to trace faults

- dismantles units, repairs or replaces defective components and re-assembles them

- test-operates and monitors the performance of systems, and adjusts settings

- records causes of malfunctioning and action taken

- may service and repair circuitry in prototype and other non-standard units

- may service and repair components of electrical equipment powered by hydraulic, pneumatic or other non-electrical energy sources

I based my application on this and laid it out in sections as per the application form. I had no issues and my application sailed through.

Once you get through, make sure you keep your letter from the TRA as there is a reference number on it which you will need to speed things up in obtaining your Australian Recognised Trade Certificate(ARTC). You will need the ARTC to apply for your licence. All the states are different. I have obtained my Western Australia "A" Grade Electrical Mechanics licence so I can give you advice on what that entails . Dont worry about the description, it is basically a maintenace electrician. Most maintenance positions prefer you to have electrical/instrumentation, but there is a shortage of skills so companies may take you on if you pledge to go back to college and get the instrumentation. You should also be looking at Engineering Technicians roles. WA has an abundance of work and generally commands better salaries, but I guess its up to you where you want to live.

Good luck, hope all this helps

Guest gjsjdjkd

G'Day

I am a South African qualified electrician, but multi-skilled mechanically. I also completed my Diploma in Engineering studies.I have been in Oz since Feb 06 having lived and worked in the UK for 6 years prior to emmigrating to OZ. Have a look at http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1121i.pdf to see what trade you fit into. I would probably say Electrician (Special Class) 4311-13. Refer below for a comprehensive description of what is required for the above. This was taken from an assessment that I had done by liveinaustralia.com.

Your Nominated Occupation: Electrician - Special Class

ASCO Code: 4311-13

ASCO Job Description: General:

Services and repairs intricate and complex electrical or electronic circuitry.

Tasks Include:

- diagnoses and repairs faults in electrical circuitry which is of a complex nature

- analyses drawings and specifications to determine sequences and methods of operation

- uses electrical and electronic test instruments to trace faults

- dismantles units, repairs or replaces defective components and re-assembles them

- test-operates and monitors the performance of systems, and adjusts settings

- records causes of malfunctioning and action taken

- may service and repair circuitry in prototype and other non-standard units

- may service and repair components of electrical equipment powered by hydraulic, pneumatic or other non-electrical energy sources

I based my application on this and laid it out in sections as per the application form. I had no issues and my application sailed through.

Once you get through, make sure you keep your letter from the TRA as there is a reference number on it which you will need to speed things up in obtaining your Australian Recognised Trade Certificate(ARTC). You will need the ARTC to apply for your licence. All the states are different. I have obtained my Western Australia "A" Grade Electrical Mechanics licence so I can give you advice on what that entails . Dont worry about the description, it is basically a maintenace electrician. Most maintenance positions prefer you to have electrical/instrumentation, but there is a shortage of skills so companies may take you on if you pledge to go back to college and get the instrumentation. You should also be looking at Engineering Technicians roles. WA has an abundance of work and generally commands better salaries, but I guess its up to you where you want to live.

Good luck, hope all this helps

Guest ann1e

Hi, thanks for your response, it has given us a lot more confidence in knowing where to go.

I hope we can call on your experiences as time goes on.

Kerry & Ann

Guest kimdownie

Hi there,

I dont know what information you have been given or have read, but just a word to the wise....Be very careful of the use of ENGINEER as an engineer in this country is totally different to the use of it in Australia. I believe to call yourself an engineer in oz you need a degree, If you dont have a degree you will probably need to call yourself a mechanic when it comes to the automotive side of things, but I am unsure what the electrical engineer is the equivalent of. My OH is a fridge/AC engineer but is classed as a mechanic for TRA purposes.

Good luck

Kim

Guest ann1e

Thanks for your reply Kim, you are right with the descriptions, they certainly differ.

I have both ONC & HNC qualifications but can't find any Australian equivalent to either.

I'll keep on investigating descriptions before I submit my TRA.

I hope we can call on you as time goes by.

Kerry & Ann

Guest Susi & Ash

hi there! that gave us some headache in the beginning too!!

oh is also a 'double skilled tradesperson' (electrical mechanical engineer)

and last employment is maintenance engineer. (he did apprenticeship and city&guild)

we are applying for 'fitter' now (and hopefully in oz we'll get the ARTC for electrical mechanic - to avoid the issue with the 'not fit to work on mains ..' - also now with the new rules coming up that might change anyways!)

happy form filling :)

Guest kimdownie
Thanks for your reply Kim, you are right with the descriptions, they certainly differ.

I have both ONC & HNC qualifications but can't find any Australian equivalent to either.

I hope we can call on you as time goes by.

Kerry & Ann

Hi guys,

I am no expert but if there is anything i can do just ask

Best Wishes

Kim

Guest fatpom

HNC is roughly equivalent to a Diploma (previously called associate diploma. Look up the AQF (australian qualifications framework) for a full comparison.

Unless things have changed its a four year apprenticeship or a four year degree which gets the most points.

The comment about classification of engineer is correct. An engineer is a professional title which starts with a four year degree usually. Australian engineers often get a bit pissed off with craftsmen (includes me :)) absent mindedly calling ourselves engineers. Its a bit like a builder calling himself an architect.

Guest ann1e

The term "engineer" is used quite freely in the UK i agree, I'm not bothered about the title, I just want to ensure I don't waste any time or money by selecting the wrong trade.

I will be able to show my ""engineering abilities" when I get out there lolol.

Thanks for the feedback, every reply is helpful

Archived