Where To Look and What to Check?

Guest joeljr garcia

Guest joeljr garcia

Hi to all,

We recently got a state nomination from the state of SA and considering the time it will be processed, my wife and a 5year old daughter are planning to migrate in the state once granted the Visa. :jiggy: We are from the Philippines, hoping to find a place in Australia, specifically South Australia!:smile:

We might be requesting for the OAA to give us some time to look for a job and a place to settle. I would really appreciate getting advices on getting a place to live with the sequence of priority:

1. accessibility - to school (for my daughter), establishments/recreation, transport

2. cost - since we will be migrating

3. job opportunity - my wife is an accountant and i am an internal compliance auditor

4. security and lifestyle

I have been researching on certain suburbs of SA and being new to the set-up of rent and everything, again we would appreciate some tips on what to check on a particular house or flat for rent.

Any idea/tip/message/advise is highly appreciated

Joel, Nette and Yzha

Guest siamsusie

Welcome to Poms in Oz, I cant help you but there is some invaluable help around so good luck and hopefully you will be in Australia soon ss x

Guest JeremyW

Hi Joeljr, welcome to the forum.

I am a South Australian, and have lived in Adelaide for around 10 years now. I am assuming that you want to live in Adelaide?

Anyway, as far as work I would recommend that you position yourself somewhere where you can access public transport to the city. As with most cities, this is where the majority of the good jobs will be. Ideally you would be best suited to be close to a train, and/or the tram, but provided you are no more than 15kms from the city centre, buses will take you where you need to be.

For job opportunites I would start by having a look on the following website:

www.seek.com.au

I see you have already had a look at some suburbs, what suburbs are you interested in? What would you like to know about them specifically? If you search Google maps for the suburb you are interested in, then once you are viewing that suburb, type schools, you should get a good idea of teh schools in the area, then you can look at their websites for an idea of what they are like.

As for cost, anything to the immediate North of the city tends to be quite expensive, and anything around Glenelg on the coastline will be up-market also, but apart from those areas there are small pockets of expensive suburbs throughout adelaide. Search around and you will find whats cheap and what isn't. Personally I like the Plympton area, as it is a midpoint between the City, and the Beach, and has the tramline running straight through it. But it is not the "flashest" part of town.

Also check Google street view for a look at the suburbs. In SA you can view a 360 view of more or less any street in the whole state. for example click the following link, then "Street View".

38 errington st plympton - Google Maps

Not sure what advice you want regarding rent and what to watch out for, if you want to see if you are getting an okay deal, you can go to the following website, type in the suburb you are interested in, and browse the rentals available. You will soon find out what price range your suburb is in.

www.realestate.com.au

Feel free to contact me if you have specific questions, I hope I have been helpful!

Guest joeljr garcia

hi jeremy,

thanks for the reply... actually i've searched those sites you've mentioned and i am inclined on the suburb of plympton :D additional queries would be on the recreations, school and other things that can be done around that area. Hopefully if we get settled in, we can find a better suburb or get comfy with plympton.

i will send you a PM once we get approved, we would really be needing all the help since we will be new to the country and starting anew.

thanks again

Archived