tax return for 2008/2009??

welsh in oz

Guest guest30038
just wondering if anyone knows, do we need to do one?

OH started work at start of April 09 and me at end April 09, will we need to do a tax return this year?

Yes, if you want to get your tax back. You should be entitled to anything that you've paid so far as you likely won't have reached a taxable level yet. Also, you will want to claim for any expenses in relation to your work. ie my missus is a nurse and claims for fob watch, stethoscope etc.

Don't forget to claim back from the UK taxman too.

kev

Guest cheney
thanks for that Kev, I sent off my tax claim for UK back in April now and sttill not heard. might have to give them a call.

Tax season in yUK is 4th April 2008 to 5th Apil 2009, if you stopped work at the end of April 09, I doubt you will hear anything or get anything back, but yes they are slow, took about three months to get our back but we came out in the June.

Guest dan&nikki

i was looking for the same info on 08/09 tax returns (Oz)..but ive looked on the Australian tax office website and its only asking me for 07/08 info? ....will it change at the end of this month to the next tax year...i am very confused!! (easily done!)

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

From reading this thread I assume then since I arrived with the family on 26th May to take up our PR status we will have to submit a tax return? Although I don't actually leave my UK job until 26 June (on holiday till then) and start with my Oz employer at end of July. Will I have to pay Oz tax on my final months wage? Is it advisable to see a tax agent for our first return? thanks in advance

Guest guest30038
From reading this thread I assume then since I arrived with the family on 26th May to take up our PR status we will have to submit a tax return? Although I don't actually leave my UK job until 26 June (on holiday till then) and start with my Oz employer at end of July. Will I have to pay Oz tax on my final months wage? Is it advisable to see a tax agent for our first return? thanks in advance

A month's wage will not exceed your yearly tax allowance (unless you've got one helluva a job) :biglaugh: so although you may have to declare it, they won't tax you on it.

kev

Guest cheney

Hi, you pay Oz tax on worldwide income when you have PR status. If you arrived May 09 you will only have $1000 tax free threshold ($6000 reduced by $500 for each month in the year PR status not active in the tax year) to use against your 26th May - 30th June UK income which must be declared. Now you will have tax deducted from your UK salary (which at a later date you would be able to get refunded via a p85 form with HMRC) but at this stage you would use this figure to get a tax offset (if you have earned no AU income then offset limited to $1000) due to the double tax agreement with UK and AU.

Hope this helps, but yes you should complete a tax return, if you did earn less than $1000 in June and 26th-31st May your could complete a CU lodgement through a tax agent

Cheney

Archived