Moving to Melbourne Help

Guest hm23

Just recieved an E-Mail today from Bayside Drafting saying that will be giving me a formal job offer in the next week as i am an electrical draughtsman. Could anybody give us any advice on where to look for housing etc in Melbourne. I am 35 as is my wife Kirsty and we have 2 children Connor aged 8 and Kaitlin aged 5. Im told its best to try and reach Melbourne before Feb as this is the start of your school year. Also im hoping to commute to work on the train if this is achievable so if anybody can offer any advice on moving to Melbourne on any subject it would be greatly appreciated and also help to set my wifes mind at rest.

Sorry I can't really be of any help in relation to your questions but just wanted to say hi, Mark and I are off to Melbourne, arriving 21 March we plan on getting some short term accommodation upon arrival, well when it is just the two of us its not such a big problem and we will have spent a month in Thailand so anywhere will probably seem pretty nice....

Good luck in your move to the other side of the world, wel won't be long behind ya.......... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Good luck with your move we are a couple of hours NE of Melbourne so can't really help with the city itself. You might want to have a look at

http://s7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/index.php?act=SC&c=1

There are loads of Ex-Pats in Melbourne and they are a friendly lot, there is bound to be someone that can help you with getting your head around it all.

Enjoy.

Nicky :D

Guest JohnKelly

hm23, I done a Google Search and it appears that Bayside Drafting is located in Oakleigh which is part of the City of Monash.

http://www.baysidegrp.com.au/bd

I reckon that you should be looking for short term rental accommodation in the Oakleigh area and who knows, you could end up with just having to walk to work.

Perhaps Bayside Drafting would be able to assist you in securing short term rental accommodation and that would give you a chance to see how the land lies.

I note that you will be arriving in February.

I can be quite hot at that time of the year.

Guest JohnKelly
hm23, I done a Google Search and it appears that Bayside Drafting is located in Oakleigh which is part of the City of Monash.

http://www.baysidegrp.com.au/bd

I reckon that you should be looking for short term rental accommodation in the Oakleigh area and who knows, you could end up with just having to walk to work.

Perhaps Bayside Drafting would be able to assist you in securing short term rental accommodation and that would give you a chance to see how the land lies.

I note that you will be arriving in February.

I can be quite hot at that time of the year.

:oops: Edit: I DID a Google Search........IT can be quite hot........ :wink:

• 1 month later...

I have found that the website http://www.realestate.com.au is really good. I got my apartment through that. Been in Melbourne for about 2 months now (on a Working Holiday Visa) and am applying for PR.

City is nice, very easy to get around. The only thing driving me mad is the weather. 4 seasons in 1 day - in my experience sometimes in 1 lunch break.

• 3 years later...
Guest trishwasher

I had a bit of a mare with the school as it turned out there was no way we could make it by the start of the school year. the school has actually agreed to hold the place until the second term which starts in April. Maybe that would buy you some breathing space? Good luck.

Hi we live in mornington on the peninsula which would be perfect for Bayside. There is public transport in the form of a bus but the train service really only stars at frankston to go up to the city. There are some really lovely housing areas in Frankston south mount eliza, mornington and mount martha all with lovely schools and good access to other areas. Any further down the peninsula and you may be a bit pushed for travel by public transport.

keep in touch and we will help you as much as possible

Diane

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi There

Congratulations on the job offer this will make life easier for you. In regards to areas there are a lot of nice suburbs around the South East and it would mainly decide on your weekly rental budget, if you wanted to be on the train line, near the beach etc.

We can offer short term furnished rental accommodation take a look at this link to show you the location of the properties Moving to Melbourne: Accommodation Available in Melbourne , there are quite a few PIO members who advertise their properties on there. Some offer free car rental for the duration of your stay, some offer free airport pick up and some offer free suburb tours to help you find an area to settle once your here. We have had quite a few PIO members also use our services and stay with us.

In regards to suburbs if the children were older then I would be tempted to consider schooling first, but as your eldest is 8 years you may fnd that you have moved on anyway by the time they start high school.

Good luck with the move and please tell your wife not to worry, I know easier said than done and we have all been there at some stage.

Kate

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys, good luck with the move,with the young family head for mornington peninsula. good schools,recreation ,beaches ,supermarkets all in easy reach. there is massive popuation of brits here,and even the locals are friendly.If you do get to mornington, bring the kids and pop into kids ahoy childrens indoor play centre, 1 watt rd mornington. introduce yourselves to my wife lindsey

Guest The Pom Queen
hi guys, good luck with the move,with the young family head for mornington peninsula. good schools,recreation ,beaches ,supermarkets all in easy reach. there is massive popuation of brits here,and even the locals are friendly.If you do get to mornington, bring the kids and pop into kids ahoy childrens indoor play centre, 1 watt rd mornington. introduce yourselves to my wife lindsey

Hi Nick

Do you have a website link for Kids Ahoy as I am sure other expats would be interested.

Kate

Hi and welcome to the forum, i have a friend who lives in Mornington to, and she loves it aswell

Tania X

Archived