Do you know this place??

Sarah and Paul

hi

We have just got our visas and are trying to choose an area to come and visit and hopefully decide to live this year. Initally a 3 week holiday to activate our visas.

Paul is a Brickie so we need to be somewhere within easy travel to building works. We have no children - but 2 dogs, so schools and family friendly etc not an issue. But nice safe places to walk with the dogs would be great.

We would both like to be living near the coast, (we live on the North Wales Coast now) - Paul does 'diving' and would like to join a scuba diving club - I like horse riding - so it would be nice to be able to do that. We dont want to be in the centre of a city but close enough to enjoy nights out without having to travel for ever to get there.

We have thought of Geelong - Bellarine area - does this sound like any where you know?

Many thanks for any advice/suggestions...

Sarah & Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Geelong Bellarine Peninsula is very nice, flatish but nice and very popular.

You could also look at the Mornington Peninsula, Diving is popular around here and so his horse riding. Lots of horsey places especially on the Westernport side of the Peninsula.

Have a look at Realestate.com.au and look at places like Drysdale on the Bellarine, Torquay

Mornington Peninsula look at Mount Martha, Mornington, Mount Eliza, Rye and all down the Peninsula. Westernport side, easy access to the Beach from Somerville,Tyabb, Hastings Bittern, Balnarring, Somers, Shoreham, Red Hill.

Red Hill is majic place for horsey people.

Guest pommiesue

I live at Torquay 20 mins drive out of Geelong. It is on the coast - it is the surfing capital - Rip Curl Quiksilver etc all started here. Beaches for dogs to run on and lots of activites at the coast and in bush and country. This is the start of the Great ocean Road and is spectacular.

I think that you would enjoy this aprtof Victoria - it is sufficiently different to North Wales but has lovely places to visit and live in just like North Wales.

Happy to discuss more wih you. There is a lot of building happening in Torquay and in the Geelong area so brickie would be able I thinkt o get work.

Guest andyozgale

hi pommie sue andy roo from yorkshire england whats left of it ha ha i am coming back to oz next year cant wait i might be round your part of the woods quick hide ha ha take care andy x

Guest pommiesue
hi pommie sue andy roo from yorkshire england whats left of it ha ha i am coming back to oz next year cant wait i might be round your part of the woods quick hide ha ha take care andy x

You sound happy in your decision to return. I'm not sure what you mean about what is left of Yorkshire - I assume it is still there! It's Yorkshire weather here right now - bitterly cold. Winter of course and snow expectedinthe Alps here. You must be having heat waves there by now?

hi

thanks for your replies - sorry for the delay we have been away for a couple of days. We have just looking at the places you mentioned and they do sound like really good places to live.

I hope in our 3 week trip we manage to come to some sort of decision of where we will stay. Can I ask how how did you do it?

What made you decide ' this is the place for me' When you read on the internet - all the places sound lovely - no where is jumping out at me saying - 'this is it' because they all sound so nice. We have never been to Australia before and do not have relatives or friends who live in Australia.

aghhh - I thought the hard bit was getting the visa - now I am not sure!! Prehaps I should stop looking and just wait until we go on our visit.

xx

Guest andyozgale

hi pomi sue andy here from yorkshire i was on about the work situation here in the uk not alot about at the moment weather been beauty now turned to rain again ha ha is it cold in oz i dont like winter but love the sun thankyou for the reply take care role on next march andy

Guest pommiesue

Yes a visit is a good idea. If it is Victoria you are thinking of then Melbourne is central and you can explore the Bellarine peninsula, the Mornington peninsula, and the SW coast from Torquay on. Re how did we choose? MMM that's a difficult question to answer. It was probably mainly to do with job locations, then simply chainsof events really. Sorry that is not an easy one to be precise.

Guest pommiesue

it is freezing here at the minute. It is about 12 degrees C. Not a lot of rain - we need rain though. At the Vicorian snowfields aroundMt Buller etc there has been agood downpour of snow - It is the snow season up there and people are very happy aboutthat. Have beenthere once but had enough of the cold and snow in UK! Not wanting to play in it ihere.

Glad to hear Yoprkshire still standing!

Guest andyozgale

hi pommie sue andy here ive been to queensland and was really very nice sun is shinning today in yorkshire getting warm i know oz when its warm its superb thanks for reply take care kind regards andy

Guest jon1977

In Victoria, as has been stated, you really have two options: East or West of Melbourne. If you're coming to visit, definately do the Great Ocean Road from Torquay to Warrnambool (where we have settled). My in-laws live in Mornington and whilst it's great, it's more an extension of the city, whereas out towards Warrnambool it's more of an isolated, self-sufficient coastal community. I guess it depends what you're after. Either way, enjoy!

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Sarah and Paul

We have a 3 BR house in McCrae for rent on the Mornington Peninsula if interested. 800m from the beach. It would be a great way to explore both peninsulas. Its not far from the ferry which can also take you to Queensclffe and Geelong.

If interested let me know and I can send you house pictures, area description and prices.

Regards

Andrew

Archived