Parental Visa strategies???

Guest DreamingofAdelaide

Guest DreamingofAdelaide

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help me with this problem. My partner and I are keen to move to Adelaide to join my son and his family. We are both 59 and meet the 'balance of family' test.

As I understand it there are three options, the Parental Visa, the Contributory Parental Visa and the Aged Parent Visa. The simple parental Visa taking much longer than the contributory one. Fair enough. So far, so straightforward.

Our financial situation is such that if we could - as it were - avoid the contribution it would help us a lot. At the same time we don't want to be stuck in a queue for ten years waiting. I have two basic and related questions.

1. Is it possible to apply for a non-contributory parental visa and get on the list, but then enter Australia and live on a kind of 'bridging visa' until our number comes up. Would that bridging last until whenever...and could we buy property etc?

2. IF a bridging visa be possible, what would be the heathcare situation. My partner is on Methotrexate here and will be for the rest of her life and so we would need to make sure she was covered. Similarly when we are 'in' proper (by whichever visa) what would be the situation be.

Would be very grateful with any help on these topics.

Thank you

DoA

Dont think you can come on a bridging visa unless you already have a visa issued for something else.

You could come as e-tourists for, say, 6 months a year - have a perpetual summer perhaps. I dont think they would take too kindly to you setting up as if you were settling here while only on a tourist visa. My parents sort of got around that by building a granny flat on our block which technically didnt belong to them. I am not sure how DIAC view consecutive long stay tourist visas these days - they were ok with them up to 5 years ago but if there is any indication that you are doing it to stay in the country and settle here then they would probably decline your application and there are some cases where they put a ban on you returning for a several year period (Gollywobbler is the expert on this though)

Because of the reciprocal arrangement between UK and Aus your wife would be covered by medicare for "necessary treatment". Like every other Aussie she will have to pay for her scripts - Methotrexate may well be on the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme in which case you pay around $30 a month for it. If it isnt on the PBS then you pay market rate whatever that may be. If you did the 6 month visitor thing then you would be wise to get the 6 months supply before you came.

I dont think there really is a way around the contributions of the CPV unless you do the long wait of course - if there were, every man and his dog would be applying:biglaugh:

I guess you are also aware of the financial implications - you wont be able to access any benefits from the Aus govt (age benefits for example) until you have been resident 10 years and even then it will be means tested. Your UK state pension will be frozen at the rate you first take it out. Also, if you mean to work, finding a job here at 60 is bloody hard (the DH just did that and it took him far longer than it ever had before) - Aus is quite ageist with its employment even though technically you arent allowed to be.

Looks like the CPV contributions and wait is probably going to be your best bet.

Guest DreamingofAdelaide

Thanks very much for this as it does clarify much. Yes sems like the CPV is the way we will go.

Employment in Oz won't really be an issue as I run a small business in the UK which I can run just as well from Oz. Although as biz is IN UK, but I will be in Oz, not clear who I would pay my taxes to!

But thank you very much for this. Very much Appreciated!

:)

DoA

Guest Gollywobbler

Hello DoA

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

I wonder if anyone can help me with this problem. My partner and I are keen to move to Adelaide to join my son and his family. We are both 59 and meet the 'balance of family' test.

When did your son move to Oz and does he have Permanent Residency? The Sponsor must be a *settled* Permanent Resident at the time when the Parent application is lodged.

As I understand it there are three options, the Parental Visa, the Contributory Parental Visa and the Aged Parent Visa. The simple parental Visa taking much longer than the contributory one. Fair enough. So far, so straightforward.

Not quite. For the Aged Parent or Contributory Aged Parent visas, one of the parent couple must be 65 or over on the date when the application is lodged. You are some years away from being eligible for either of the Aged options, hon!

Applications for the Contributory Parent 143 and 173 visas are taking about 18 months from start to finish at present. Applications for the offshore non contributory Parent 103 visa are taking about 8 to 10 years in total.

If you apply for the Parent 103 visa to start with you can change your minds and upgrade to the Contributory Parent 173 or 143 at any time. There is no need to submit a further application or pay an additional fee. Your application for the CPV is treated as having been received on the same day that the original Parent application was received.

1. Is it possible to apply for a non-contributory parental visa and get on the list, but then enter Australia and live on a kind of 'bridging visa' until our number comes up.

No - this is not possible. Bridging Visas are only possible when the applicant seeks an onshore Aged Parent or Contributory Aged Parent visa - neither of which you are eligible for because you are not old enough yet.

My mother has had a CPV 143 for about 2.5 years now. As soon as she reached Oz she was able to get a Seniors Card:

Welcome to Seniors Card

The actual perks with Seniors Card vary from one State to the next but the SA Seniors Card people reckon that the SA one is more generous than the others so it is worth having a close look at what it offers.

After Mum had had PR for 2 years she then became eligible for a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card as well:

Commonwealth Seniors Health Card

Mum is now in her late 80s and lives with my sister. She can't take advantage of the concessions on rates, water rates or car tax because she doesn't live on her own and doesn't have a car. For her the main use of the Health Card is that she does take a lot of drugs for assorted routine ailments associated with her great age. She used to have to pay $31.30 per type of drug per prescription. That has now come down to $5 for each type instead, which is much more affordable since she takes 15 different drugs each week. Other, younger parents, would get more help from the utilites and car tax instead.

Tax wise PR is not particularly efficient for Mum but that isn't why we chose PR for her so we just put up with the tax disadvantages. The plus side is that she is eligible for the recent $900 hand-out from the Govt, plus Seniors Card WA provided another $100 to all the Seniors in WA.

The best of the visas - by a mile - is the Parent 103 visa, for sure. There is no reason why waiting Parents can't make extended visits to Oz during the wait. Policy allows up to 12 months at a time on a tourist visa, for example. If you wanted to stay for 2 or 3 years at a stretch, a Student visa would be possible.

I have to rush now but I will send you a Private Message later.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest DreamingofAdelaide

Thank you very much Gollywobbler. I have sent you a private message. Very much appreciated.

DoA

Archived