how cold does s.a really get

Dawny

So, who can tell me how cold s.a really gets.Does it get cold in the summer evenings and how cold does it get in winter, both day and night.Is it worth buying oil filled or electric portable heaters to bring with us or are they cheap enough to buy in oz, Dawny

Guest just jo

Dawny.

its not so much the cold but the lack of insulation and proper heating in the houses, that causes the problems. Most Australian houses are built to let out heat in the summer, so of course they let out heat in the winter. Try and imagine an english house with single glaze windows, not much insulation and hot air heating, as soon as you switch the heating off, the heat leaves the house. Daytime temps can go down to around 10 degrees, today its a very wintery 16 degrees and my house is bloody chilly. I however have no heating apart from an open fire in the main lounge and a gas fire in the family area. Winter outsde temps can be lovely. 18 - 24 degrees on some days but the house doesn't warm up.

I would seriously advise you to try and bring some calor gas heaters if you can find them. I dearly wish I'd picked some up before we left. Gas bottles are very cheap here to refill and it can cost quite a lot extra on your leccy bill running oil filled radiators all day and night. If you can't get calor gas then bring the oil filled as they can be expensive here and you'll need a few. Don't be fooled into thinking you won't need your english winter clothes because you will. Once you adjust to the temps 16 degrees isn't as warm as you think.

Of course you may be lucky and find a wonderful modern house with great reverse cycle heating and cooling, but this is Adelaide so best to be prepared.

Jo

Guest red back

Its cold enough for a fire on asyou have read. A tonne of wood can be purchased for around 230-420 Dollars dependant on the supplier. You will be very surprised on how much you feel the cold, even when youcome from the Mother land... Bring a fleece or two!!!!

Top tip bring everything that fits in your container and some!!!

P.S Any chance you can fit me a canoe in there..

The saving grace is that when summer comes it will be sunny!!!

Guest J-inOz

It does get cold here and even though it doesn't get to the minus's, it really does feel cold. We have had a few frosty mornings over the past few winters, nothing like the UK though (even though it feels like it) I would say the temperatures vary from 12 to 20, which doesn't sound very cold, but believe me, it is, especially if it isn't sunny.

The Aussies are slowly getting around to the fact that insulation is actually good for the house in summer as well as winter. The windows are crap here, the glass is dangerously thin and our frames are rubbish. If only I could afford double glazing, you can get it here but it is bloody expensive. Aussie's don't seem to get the need for them either. For some reason they must forget how cold it gets and only focus on the heat of the summer. They don't realise that it works both ways for cold and heat. UPVC has been adapted to withstand the heat now.

We have ducted heating, which is a godsend, but it would be more efficient with adequate insulation and double glazing. Insulation is so expensive here and our house was built in the 80's when it wasn't law to put it in the walls and roofs.

Bring your winter coats, boots, gloves, scarves, electric blankets and 15 tog quilts as you will need them.

Also, some summer nights can get a bit cool as well. We had our winter quilt on all year round.

Archived