17 yr old coming to oz

Guest kev&sandy

Guest kev&sandy

hi all, can anyone help me with some info on 17 yr olds as far as riding motorbikes or cars

over here from 16 to 17 you can ride a moped (50 cc) & from 17 you can go up to a (125 cc) without taking a test, does anyone know the rules in oz also as far as driving a car is concerned when am i able to drive & take my test,is it harder over there or would i be better off taking my test in uk also what are the costs involved. sorry abit jumbled but new to this any help would be gratefully received

thanx DAN 17 yrs old

Guest Gollywobbler
hi all, can anyone help me with some info on 17 yr olds as far as riding motorbikes or cars

over here from 16 to 17 you can ride a moped (50 cc) & from 17 you can go up to a (125 cc) without taking a test, does anyone know the rules in oz also as far as driving a car is concerned when am i able to drive & take my test,is it harder over there or would i be better off taking my test in uk also what are the costs involved. sorry abit jumbled but new to this any help would be gratefully received

thanx DAN 17 yrs old

Hello Dan

Please try this link:

http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/1210.asp

This is the link for West Australia only, though, where my sister lives and has done for 26 years. It may well vary according to the different States.

I think the best option for you would be to tell Google to find Google Australia. Once in GA, tell it "Drivers Licence + QLD" or whatever, and tell it to search Australian web-pages only.

I believe that if you are in Oz as a tourist, you can drive a car on your UK licence. I always have, anyway. However, if you have permanent residence in Oz then I think you have to get a local licence from the relevant state authority. I am told that you can simply swap the UK licence for an Australian one without having to take another test, but it may be different for someone who is under about 25.

I can't help with the motorbike aspect because I've never ridden one, let alone had a licence for one. However, I think that if you start with the notion that each State will have an Authority for driver/bike-rider licencing and go from there via Google Australia, you should be able to discover the answers to your questions.

If you need more help, please ask again.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest THE JONEZYS

We used to live in Grays in Essex.

Cant help much on the driving front as we are in Victoria and each state has different rules. We contacted Vicroads from UK and they said, unless my sons had 3 years or more driving experience, they would have to take there test again.

The theory test was pretty easy and my 18yo took just 14 minutes to get an 89% pass, he is now having lessons, which cost $350 for 10. He has got to have 120 hours driving under his belt before he can apply for his test and when he pases he will be on P plates for 3 years.

All of this tho' applies to Vic, don't know about WA.

Lesley

Hiya have a look at the queensland goverment website and link to transport ,,one thing i have noticed here is you dont see many teenagers riding bikes or mopeds on the road (bad drivers here)but i do know once you pass your bike test you cant carry pillions for 12mth ,no matter what age you are.here they tend to go straight to cars ,im pretty sure its 17 for a provisinol like the uk but have a nosey around that website ,,

Cal x

p.s ,, if you do your test there ( i would ) you just do a straight swap for a queensland licence ,,no more tests !!

We used to live in Grays in Essex.

Cant help much on the driving front as we are in Victoria and each state has different rules. We contacted Vicroads from UK and they said, unless my sons had 3 years or more driving experience, they would have to take there test again.

The theory test was pretty easy and my 18yo took just 14 minutes to get an 89% pass, he is now having lessons, which cost $350 for 10. He has got to have 120 hours driving under his belt before he can apply for his test and when he pases he will be on P plates for 3 years.

All of this tho' applies to Vic, don't know about WA.

Lesley

Hi Lesley

Had your 18yr old already passed his test in the UK?

We may be coming to Mel later this year and at the mo my 17yr son is having lessons and hopes to have his test in April. Although he wont be moving til next yr after his A levels so he will have been driving for over a yr by then.

Will he have to have lessons to redo the test in Mel?

And when you say they need 120 hrs is this with an instructor or could his dad take him out as he does now?

Any info you have would be gratefully recieved.

Sam x

Guest THE JONEZYS

Hi have a read thro' this

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Licensing/NewResidentsVisitors/

I think its 120 hrs including with dad.

My son hadn't passed his test in UK as I was being tight and didn't want to have to pay out for 2 lots of lessons.

The driving out here is quite scarey, even for me and i've been driving 20 odd years so I am glad that my son waited and is learning here.

Lesley

• 3 weeks later...
Guest thekeg95

hi Dan

For many years now i've been working in backpacker hostels around Oz and from what the English backpackers have told me it is a lot easier and cheaper to get your licence here than in the UK. In the NT for a bike it is a balance & stability test eye test and written road rules test for learners hold this for 2 weeks then an on road test following a tester for 30 min for provisional [both of these are 250cc max] then after 12 months straight on to full licence total cost $120 time min 1yr 2 weeks

Archived