sydney and its suburbs

Guest laura

Fairly new to this Forum, but I hope you can help. Can you tell me what the northern suburbs are like, thinking of Ryde, Maresfield, Hornsby, Epping, Gordon, Pymble...I can see that they are a lot cheaper than anything by the beach, but are they very suburban full of shopping centres, or leafier with a Bush feel? We are moving over to Sydney in a few months hopefully. We have a child, so we really need a family friendly area with good state schools.

Hi Laura,

Epping,Gordon and Pymble are nice areas some parts are leafy but they are built up. Try looking at North Epping that's really nice its not far from Macquarie Shopping Centre and would be in the school region for either Cheltenham girls high, Epping boys high which are sought after schools. Cheltenham and Beecroft are also nice areas. Most primary schools in the area are good. It's also not far from Macquarie Uni maybe 10 mins. Mostly Asian in the area (but that's most of Sydney anyway) All the areas mentioned have a train station and are serviced well by buses too. Good Luck!

Angie7

• 3 weeks later...
Guest PosmMagic

On the trainline within 45 mins of the city with great schools - Beecroft or Cheltenham are really worth a look. Nice and leafy with good community feel and excellent schools.

• 1 month later...

i am living in marsfield and looking for a school for my daughter( current y7 in aus), the selective schools like cheltenham are not available to 457 visa holders, state school costs $4500 a year and i am looking into catholic schools nearby as this seems like a good quality education and no more expensive than state school. choose somewhere to live carefully as the schools available are like uk - local school must offer you a place, if it is your nearest.

Turramurra High School is a pretty good school, as state schools go. It's co-educational, and backs onto, from memory, one of the national Parks. I think Lane Cove? Both Turramurra and Pymble are quite nice places to live. Good quality housing and a good train service into town. Hornsby is nice too. Hornsby has an added advantage, because it has a major train station and two major lines go through Hornsby. There's the one that comes directly from the city, but also one that goes to the city via North Ryde. Along that particular line are a lot of work places.

It's a good idea to look for somewhere close to a decent train line. And at a main station, rather than one where the trains don't always stop. If I were wanting to use public transport in Sydney, I would have trains as my first option, ferries the second, with buses a distant third. I prefer ferries to trains as a mode of transport, but they are unreliable on foggy days.

Archived