Why are flights to oz so expensive in july/aug?

julzcary

Need to book a flight to adelaide (although checked out all other destination options), but they jump up massively in July/august and can't seem to get anything for less than £1,000. Any reason why? Do you think airlines know if there's a sporting event or something on at a certain time and hike their prices?

My hubby is now saying we can't afford to go, but I really want to compete in the event there.

Thanks.

Guest proud2beaussie

July and August are peak travel seasons in the UK with school holidays etc and there is an increased demand,yes it's off peak/shoulder in Australia but in booking any kind of travel you also need to consider the season in your departing country as well as destination.

Guest jam jar

hi

my sister in-law and family are coming out to us in july, (around the 22nd, i think), and they found the flights to be pretty cheap around this time, they have booked and are paying £680 each, flying with etihad, with one stopover in abu dabi. (they only booked just over a week ago).

(i think other quotes they were getting were around £800)

so i'll try and find out who they booked with and let you know.

Guest jam jar

sorry, just noticed your wanting to fly to adelaide, (she's flying to brisbane),

could still be cheaper though, i'll try and find out.

joanna

Need to book a flight to adelaide (although checked out all other destination options), but they jump up massively in July/august and can't seem to get anything for less than £1,000. Any reason why? Do you think airlines know if there's a sporting event or something on at a certain time and hike their prices?

My hubby is now saying we can't afford to go, but I really want to compete in the event there.

Thanks.

well i've flown in august and feb to oz and everytime i've looked august was by far the cheapest to go !!!!!!!!!

Guest proud2beaussie

Ok, a few comments about booking travel.

First off don't assume that you will always get the best fares by trawling the internet-it's not always the case,travel agents like myself get email special offers from airlines every day,sometimes an airline will offer only a dozen seats to a particular agent at special prices and it's up to the agent to sell them to get extra commission.

So my advice-Choose a couple,3 maximum,internet booking sites to get quotes,the good ones are

www.expedia.co.uk, www.kayak.co.uk and www.cheapflights.co.uk

Be sure what you want,have it written down so you can enter the information on the site,once you have three quotes take them to a travel agent and ask them to beat them,if an agent is worth their salt they will do so just to get the business.

We work on small margins and any commission is good commission and you are dealing with a real person.

Also don't continue to search the net for fares ! airlines reservations systems are demand driven so if it detects a demand for flights on a certain day it will raise the fare in order to compensate for the increased demand,the systems are programmed to do that,if you search for a fare for the 1st of August and you get a quote of £500.00 for example,if you then go away and search on a different site for the same date with the same airline then go back to the original site the fare will in 99% of cases have gone up because it's detected that there is an increased demand for that day.

so keep searches to a minimum.

Guest Guruju
Ok, a few comments about booking travel.

Also don't continue to search the net for fares ! airlines reservations systems are demand driven so if it detects a demand for flights on a certain day it will raise the fare in order to compensate for the increased demand,the systems are programmed to do that,if you search for a fare for the 1st of August and you get a quote of £500.00 for example,if you then go away and search on a different site for the same date with the same airline then go back to the original site the fare will in 99% of cases have gone up because it's detected that there is an increased demand for that day.

so keep searches to a minimum.

Hi Nigel

I actually had this happen to me and the difference, by the time I came to book 2 days later was an increase of $300!! Good advice from you. Cheers Julia

Thanks for your comments. I checked ethiad and they are over £1,000 too, although advertising 'specials' at just under £600 (to brisbane, which I can live with), between certain months ncluding Jly/aug. But when you go through the site and dates, they are then over £1,000. I don't normally trawl the sites other than direct with the airlines, but Nigel, I will get some dates together and send you a pm if thats OK.

Thanks

JUlie

Guest proud2beaussie

No problems Jules,whenever you need help just send me a message and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Thanks.

I've just looked for 27th July & for 3 (me + 2 kids) its only £1905, so ave of £635 each, which I didn't think was too bad, as been looking at flights for OH to fly 1st July & cheapest then was £503 (with Etihad). How cheap do they actually go then?

Kath

Guest sarahbaker04

hi try netflights.com they compare all airlines i flew with maylasia airlines there nice

I've just looked for 27th July & for 3 (me + 2 kids) its only £1905, so ave of £635 each, which I didn't think was too bad, as been looking at flights for OH to fly 1st July & cheapest then was £503 (with Etihad). How cheap do they actually go then?

Kath

Is that one way?

I don't know about in the UK but Flight Centre over here guarantee to beat any quote although personally in the UK I always booked through Wexas & got some amazing deals (you do have to pay a membership fee but the service is second to none - I just wish I could find something similar here)

We're coming back to the UK for a holiday in July - it is school holidays here too!!

Jules

Guest HONEY

HI - WE'VE JUST BOOKED FLIGHTS TO PERTH, 2ND JULY FOR 3 ADULTS AND 2 KIDS, WITH EMIRATES AND PAID £2856 (INCL TAXES) WHICH I THOUGHT WAS VERY GOOD.

HOWEVER, FROM THE 10TH JULY IT GOES UP TO, OVER £4000!!

GET IN THERE QUICK IF YOU CAN:radar:

Guest nfowley

Is that for one flight? We have been looking for Aug and getting quotes around £780 per person leaving around 12th Aug, that's from Glasgow. However from London with Ethiad airlines we were quoted £580 per person, booking through a company we found online, emailflights.com I think it was called. Hope this helps! Oh we were flying to Brisbane.

Archived