Anyone familiar with Colchester?

Guest John Locke

Guest John Locke

We`re still discussing where we will end up back in the U.K and after a lot of talk about moving 'out a bit' we know it will be a good idea to be closer to family (a settling back in period sort of thing) who are mostly in Kent and Essex. We seem to be leaning more towards Colchester. I`ve got fond memories of Colchester from when I was a child but obviously saw it through different eyes then, so just wondered if anyone is from the area or knows it well..?

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi John

I have friends who live in the villages near Colchester and commute to the City (Liverpool Street) daily.

Boxted is nice. Layer de la Haye is gorgeous. Great Tey & Marks Tey are OK, as is Sudbury. The villages on the Colne & Blackwater Estuaries are absolutely lovely. Heybridge Basin and Rowhedge are two of my most favourite places on the planet but I do not know about commuting from their of them.

All the other places I have mentioned are absolutely OK for getting to London from in that it is not far to the mainline stations. The train service itself is another matter however. No worse than the rest of the lines to London but none of them are good any more and its is all ridiculously expensive nowadays as well.

Cheers

Gill

Hi John.

Colchester is a very nice place, I used to cover there for work sometimes.

Also might be worth considering Chelmsford also a very nice Town. Hasn't quite made City yet but not for the want of trying.

With the new A130 in place it doesn't take long to drive to Kent and is also easy for commuting to London.

Andy.

Guest John Locke

Lol, Uni and barracks...does that make for an interesting friday night..?

Thanks for all these postives guys

The uni and barracks are not an issue. I go out on a friday/saturday night and I have yet to see any trouble. We have 2 and 3 para here. The RMP are about but I have not seen one for ages. Colchester is the oldest town in the UK and if you love history then you will love it. Within 5 miles you have Suffolk which is also beautiful.

In fact why dont we swop houses!!!

JOHN

Guest John Locke

In fact why dont we swop houses!!!

JOHN

If only it was that simple, eh?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tlander56

Hi Guys,

I went to uni in Colchester....really liked it....was back in the 90's mind you! Colchester is a place we are considering too on our return, so will keep an eye on this thread!

Tanya

Guest tlander56

Hi John,

We've been here for 3 years now (my husband is Australian) but one of our main reasons for returning is that we just want our children to have more extended family input...there is good and bad with both countries, but the UK wins for us. We've realised we really enjoy the cosmopolitan lifestyle living in Southern England offered. Sounds mad, but the heat and sun here gets me down...I think the kids spent more time outdoors in the UK due to the huge skin cancer risk here. Living here is expensive...our standard of living is lower(even though we are suposedly a high income family)...and no amount of sun makes up for that when the novelty wears off...travel out of Aus very expensive..I want my children to see the world, not grow up like some of their classmates that no nothing of the outside of QLD...bla bla bla..I could go on, but won't bore you :)

Are you planning a move here, or have returned to Colchester?

Tanya

Guest kdal

I too think Colchester is a lovely area, my sister has just moved back to England and has choosen Colchester as their location.

Oh and the kids will love the Zoo !!

Good luck

Guest John Locke
So why you returning?

JOHN

John, short and sweet version...been here a number of years and it`s just not for me...

tlander56....totally relate to where you`re coming from...have missed the lifestyle that made me me...my wife is also Australian...kdal, seems I`m on the right track with Colchester in mind, I obviously don`t want to move back to the inner city (couldn`t afford it now anyway with my entourage of kids and dogs) but yeah, hopefully money and circumstance permitted I think it`s where we`d like to 'end up...' Used to enjoy the zoo myself, just one of many places I want my children to visit on our return....

Guest tlander56
John, short and sweet version...been here a number of years and it`s just not for me...

tlander56....totally relate to where you`re coming from...have missed the lifestyle that made me me...my wife is also Australian...kdal, seems I`m on the right track with Colchester in mind, I obviously don`t want to move back to the inner city (couldn`t afford it now anyway with my entourage of kids and dogs) but yeah, hopefully money and circumstance permitted I think it`s where we`d like to 'end up...' Used to enjoy the zoo myself, just one of many places I want my children to visit on our return....

Hi John,

Yes, we really miss our old lifestyle too...my husband and I sit down after and long day and say 'what have we done to ourselves coming here?' ...day to day life is such a struggle..and not just financially...but, I've never met so many wage slaves as I have here in Australia......people killing themselves just to get by.....and the obsession with keeping up with the Jones's...don't even start me on that :)...we just don't get it. I read posts from people coming here, saying this like 'we don't mind if we have a crap car or house.....at least we will be in the sun'...makes me laugh. Once the novelty wears off, things change..that much i do know.

Anyway, good luck with the move :)

Tanya and family

Archived