Advice re. logistics of moving back to UK

Guest Stella38

Guest Stella38

Hi there

I'm new to the forum and by way of background have been in Adelaide for 6 years with my Aussie hubbie and 2 children (under 6). My hubbie lived in the UK for several years, which is where we met.

After reading the posts on this forum, I have very similar feelings to a lot of people re. not feeling completely settled, and missing family. My hubbie of course does not feel like that, being near all his family and friends from way back. However, we have recently returned from a visit to the UK and his feelings have changed, i.e. he is prepared to move back there and can see himself enjoying it as much as he previously did.

I of course am taken by surprise, having accepted over the last few years that here is where I will be living for the future, and I'm still trying to work out how I feel about the possibility of moving back.

We are investigating the options for returning, but I'm currently focusing on the practical aspects.

Can anyone give me any advice on what they have done on returning in terms of initial accommodation, belongings etc. We have a home to sell here, and obviously shipping our gear would take several weeks. I'm thinking we'd have to take out a serviced apartment or something initially as we'll have no furniture, crockery etc.

Also, can anyone tell me whether we will have lost our credit rating due to being overseas for 6 years? We have maintained a current bank account in the UK which has been used occasionally.

Any advice is much appreciated, thanks.

Guest proud2beaussie

I believe that most UK banks would need to see evidence of at least 12 months residence in the UK,and things like electoral roll registration etc to be prepared to grant credit etc,however having said that the fact that you still have a UK bank account will be in your favour and as credit information is kept for seven years in the UK you may,if you had a good rating be fortunate and find that you get the same rating back,but I wouldn't bet on it though.

There are many threads on here about removals companies etc so I suggest you check them out.

Good Luck with your move back,I hope you have good memories of Australia even though you personally didn't really feel at home.

Cheers

N'OZ

Archived