Cairns - gissa job

Guest Mikeyp

Guest Mikeyp

Hello there, well we've been here in Cairns for a couple of months now - love the rainforest, the tablelands, the beaches, the food, the weather (crikey its hot!) and most of the people we've met - but I need a job! Applied for over 30 so far - yet to receive a reply from any. Been in local govt in the UK for past 10 years and 9 years before that in British Gas - had some weird jobs (in the local cemetery and as a Debt collector for Coucil Tax - boo, hiss I hear you say!) but trying now to get any admin type role. Reading forums I know I'll have to start at the bottom probably - but I'm ok to do that. Registered with the agencies for permanent or temp work - done all the tests with good results - but still nothing. Of course, starting again has turned out more expensive than we thought, so any income would be quite nice now, just for some of those luxuries - you know, like food. Here in Cairns hospitality jobs seem to be the go - but when I asked about room attendants jobs as somewhere to start I was told would def need experience and qualifications, plus I'm in competition for those type of jobs with all the backpackers that are passing through (can't complain about them - I did that too many, many years ago) Anyone any suggestions? Any constructive comments gratefully received (any silly comments will probably get a smile - though deperation is starting to set in!)

In the meantime will keep making those applications and hope someone takes pity - I'm polite and friendly, well presented (smell pretty fresh and all that) and will do a good job for someone given half a chance - honest!

:wink:

Hi mikeyp,

I can understand how you are feeling, we are on the central coast approx 1.5 /2 hrs from Sydney, and i am having troubles getting a job too - it seems that the jobs that advertised has approx 100 applicants after them each time. I have registered with agencys and even gone to there offices and at one sat a 2 hours test (which i passed) after that you never hear from them, when you apply for a vacancy yep you are like me never hear any thing not even a thankyou but no good!!! I had an interview with coles on the 16th march and i still havent heard from them (assuming that i didnt get the job)

This i have had hard work dealing with as every job i ever applied for in the uk i got - i cant understand why the aussies dont reply or a least give you some feedback, i was told to australianise my resume which i done but aint made no difference.

Sorry i havent really got any ideas for you as im so stuck myself !!!

So just to wish you luck with your job hunting and so you know you are not alone !!!

gizmo

Guest Mikeyp

Thanks for the quick reply - nice to know its not just me then! I've tried to ozzie-fy my resume too, and the agencies seem to think that was good, but who knows?

I expect people will see our messages and immediately swamp us with job offers and we wont know which ones to pick.........or maybe not!

In the meantime I guess we just keep on keeping on with fingers crossed (makes typing fun!) and see what happens. I think I'll drink beers as fast as your avatar - that always works!!

All the best

Guest Stu:0

Sorry i cant help you with the job situation but we land in cairns end of june and would love here how youve found it since arriving. Are you renting? if so did you find a property ok? Hows the humidity? Im an electrician and i think its gona knock me for six!

Hope to hear from you.

Stu

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mikeyp

Hi Stu,

Sorry for the delayed reply - job hunting you know! Anyway, arriving in June you should hit the perfect weather, hot and sunny and not humid - at least thats what I've been told! I arrived in January when it was pretty steamy, but haven't found it too bad at all - of course it might be different when I'm working in it (having said that I've been doing some car detailing for a rental company the last few days on a casual basis, but at least its work - and the temperature has been fine. It definitely feels cooler the last few days, having dipped below the 30 degrees mark! As for housing, we found rental accommodation ok, though the agency was a bit wary as we had no income, but showed the bank statements to show we could cover the rent and they were ok. Quite a lot of people seem to look at each property, but there are tons advertised - Cairns has a lot of people coming and going with seasonal work, but depending on what you want I'm sure you'll be fine. Have a look on realestate.com.au rental section to get a feel for whats available - good luck!

Guest Stu:0
Hi Stu,

Sorry for the delayed reply - job hunting you know! Anyway, arriving in June you should hit the perfect weather, hot and sunny and not humid - at least thats what I've been told! I arrived in January when it was pretty steamy, but haven't found it too bad at all - of course it might be different when I'm working in it (having said that I've been doing some car detailing for a rental company the last few days on a casual basis, but at least its work - and the temperature has been fine. It definitely feels cooler the last few days, having dipped below the 30 degrees mark! As for housing, we found rental accommodation ok, though the agency was a bit wary as we had no income, but showed the bank statements to show we could cover the rent and they were ok. Quite a lot of people seem to look at each property, but there are tons advertised - Cairns has a lot of people coming and going with seasonal work, but depending on what you want I'm sure you'll be fine. Have a look on realestate.com.au rental section to get a feel for whats available - good luck!

Good to here from you. Glad youve found some work. Yes we thought june would be the best time to arrive to get used to the temperature. We keep looking on real estate.com and seen a few we like. Biggest problem for us is we'd like somewhere at least part furnished. Im renting the house out back here for 12 months or so, so we'l just be arriving with clothes only and dont want to go out spending on furniture. Sure we'l find somthing. Glad your enjoying life over there, good to hear when things are getting stressfull back here!

Stu

Archived