Family 176 to state sponsor

mchugh1980

Hi

i posted a thread a week or so ago about whether to change to state sponsorship from a family 176 visa, i spoke to my Visa consultant and he 'sort of' advised to change to state sponsorship but wasnt really that enthusiastic, anyway when looking into it it doesnt seem like my skill 'business and info professional' (im and ICT Technician) is on the QLD or NSW state sponsorship skills list, b ut my agent said that apparently there is 500 extra state sponsorship visa for each state for the people who dont fit a skill, apparently they vet you on what you can bring to the state and things that work in your favour, i,e my sister lives on the gold coast.

Has anyone had experience with these extra 500 visas? and if i have any chance in getting one! apart from that looks like we might have to sit on our family sponsor visa and just wait for an answer!

On that note does anyone know if the gov can refuse your visa on times limits, i.e we handed our app in on 16th Dec, so what if they got to 16th dec this year and still hadnt processed it could they just refuse as there is too many others apps at top of list?

Thanks to anyone who replies as im so confused!

Thanks

Claire

Guest Lindseyf

hi, i am not sure of the answer to your question but i am in the same boat and would be interested in what you are advised. We are waiting for a family sponsored 176 so, thanks for posting and i will wait to see if people answer.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Claire

QLD's Policy for their 500 off list sc 176 Nominations is here:

Off-list nominations

Bear in mind that the world and his dog are chasing the 500 special nominations in each State. I'd suggest ringing QLD for a chat.

You say you are an ICT Technician. Would this be Computing Support Technician 3294-11 in Strine?

Computing Support Technician 3294-11 - Australian Skills Recognition Information

If so, this occupation is on QLD's List for the provisional sc 475 visa but they were very un-encouraging when a friend of mine asked QLD about the possibility of State Sponsorship for this pccupation.

My young friend's problem is that he has been a Computing Support Technician for 2.5 years. Before that he was at university where he obtained a Higher National Diploma. He could not get a skills assessment from TRA for this occupation because he did not have the right amount of work experience and he told me that CSTs in the UK are not trained in the way that TRA envisage either. So his slills assessment is as a Project or Program Administrator.

He phoned QLD who told him they would not consider sponsoring him as a CST unless he can produce a skills assessment from TRA confirming it. He protested that he couldn't get that because he does not have enough time-served experience. QLD told him that he will have enough experience in another couple of years.

Would you be able to get a skills assessment from TRA if you had to? If you could, bear in mind that CST is a 40 point occupation so would you have enough points? (QLD would put 10 points into the kitty for you, remember.)

You would have to make a second visa application and pay another $2,105 (or whatever the amount will be after 1st July.) You would also need a new skills assessment, possibly. Your agent would undoubtedly want to charge a fair amount for a whole second visa application based on a new strategy, too.

However no law says you could not apply for a State Sponsored sc 475 visa as well as a family sponsored sc 176 visa and just leave the latter application running in the background. It is mainly a question of whether the cost would be worth it, I reckon.

On that note does anyone know if the gov can refuse your visa on times limits, i.e we handed our app in on 16th Dec, so what if they got to 16th dec this year and still hadnt processed it could they just refuse as there is too many others apps at top of list?

Please don't worry about this. They can't do it without drastic action which the Minister has already said he would not be willing to consider.

Best wishes

Gill

Archived