going back one way

Guest sooveroz

Guest sooveroz

does anyone know if you can get double luggage allowance on the way back from oz to uk like you could on the way out??

thanks for any answers

Guest treesea

We came back with 138kg between the four of us. A lovely man at the Melbourne check in didn't charge us a cent for excess baggage. Failing that, go via the airfreight section and send it as unaccompanied baggage. It will be heaps cheaper than paying a surcharge. Make sure you insure it though.

Guest LoveUK

This is the big problem when you finally decide to return to England, having come out with double baggage allowance you only get the standard 20 kgs going back to England, so if you came out with a family of 4 that is loads of excess baggage to bring back, an the airlines really nail you! Even though i explained to the Singapore check in girl about my Dad's condition and the fact that we even had a relative for actually worked for them at Perth airport they would not budge! Cost us a fortune to bring the sfuff back i even tried complaining when we rturned to England but got nowhere!

:goofy:

Guest sooveroz
This is the big problem when you finally decide to return to England, having come out with double baggage allowance you only get the standard 20 kgs going back to England, so if you came out with a family of 4 that is loads of excess baggage to bring back, an the airlines really nail you! Even though i explained to the Singapore check in girl about my Dad's condition and the fact that we even had a relative for actually worked for them at Perth airport they would not budge! Cost us a fortune to bring the sfuff back i even tried complaining when we rturned to England but got nowhere!

just to say thanks to all that have replied. I wonder what happens if australians migrate to the UK? dont they get double??

Guest proud2beaussie
just to say thanks to all that have replied. I wonder what happens if australians migrate to the UK? dont they get double??

No,20kg's is industry standard baggage allowance and it is only increased when airlines do special deals with companies like moving planet etc,they sometimes will allow extra on presentation of evidence that you are migrating but not always.

As to the poster who tried to "name drop" by saying they had relatives who work for the airline,well that never works because airline employees themselves have to abide by the same limits.

If airlines allowed people to routinely carry extra baggage then airfares would be even higher than they already are-which is high enough.

Guest sooveroz
No,20kg's is industry standard baggage allowance and it is only increased when airlines do special deals with companies like moving planet etc,they sometimes will allow extra on presentation of evidence that you are migrating but not always.

As to the poster who tried to "name drop" by saying they had relatives who work for the airline,well that never works because airline employees themselves have to abide by the same limits.

If airlines allowed people to routinely carry extra baggage then airfares would be even higher than they already are-which is high enough.

thanks for your response. its the excuse i need to dump loads of clothes and buy more when we get back!!

it seems apparent that everything is done to make it easier to get into oz but harder and more costly to get out :biglaugh:

Guest LolaJo

it seems apparent that everything is done to make it easier to get into oz but harder and more costly to get out :biglaugh:

What????? I don't think I've ever done anything harder or more costly in my life than try to get in to Oz!!!!!!

Guest sooveroz

What????? I don't think I've ever done anything harder or more costly in my life than try to get in to Oz!!!!!!

yeah I take your point as far as getting the visa goes - although we didnt use an agent and ours was pretty straightforward so it didnt cost too much.

but in terms of leaving again - flights are much more expensive, shippers cost more, getting your Uk passport costs more if it runs out in oz and you need a new one. funny as well that you can bring your superannuation over to oz but if you go back to uk you are not allowed to take it back with you!!

Guest cazbeckham

It took us 17 months to get our visa and cost us in excess of £30,000 so not easy or cheap for us to get here so there is no way we are ever going back to UK, life is just to great here as well as the people being soooooo friendly, can't fault the country. Just wish I could get my Son and his Fiance out here to live but it can't happen..................:-(

Guest sooveroz
It took us 17 months to get our visa and cost us in excess of £30,000 so not easy or cheap for us to get here so there is no way we are ever going back to UK, life is just to great here as well as the people being soooooo friendly, can't fault the country. Just wish I could get my Son and his Fiance out here to live but it can't happen..................:-(

crikey - that is a lot - just as well you are loving it after that amount. best wishes for the future.

Archived