What Is An "Oyster Card"?

Guest proud2beaussie

Guest proud2beaussie

More Questions about moving to the UK.

I've been told that for ease of getting around in London an "Oyster Card" is essential.

What on earth is an "Oyster Card" ,where do I get one,and is it really essential to get one?

Guest Working to fish

I've been told that for ease of getting around in London an "Oyster Card" is essential.

What on earth is an "Oyster Card" ,where do I get one,and is it really essential to get one?

I heard if you show this card at tesco,s then you get 10% off retail price on oysters , i think you have to go to a local sea food market to obtain one.

hope this helps

:wink:

eddie

Guest Cane Family

You are quite right Nigel, try this for size https://oyster.tfl.gov.uk/oyster/entry.do

oh and it 20% off on wednesdays at Tesco's LOL

Guest Cane Family
Thanks for the excellent link,explains it very well.

Looks like getting one will be amongst the first things I do when I arrive in London.

Never ever used one, when i was a lad living in London we hay travelcards none of this fancy rubbish, glad the link was of some help Nigel

Easy to get one at the tube at Heathrow - just go up to the ticket window and ask for one, will cost you a £3 deposit (I did it a couple of weeks ago) then you can top them up whenever you need to. They dont like my Aus credit card though and will only take my UK one - just a heads up - I think it may be something to do with the UK chip and pin, but the machines will always take money. Just remember to swipe on your way in and out of tube stations!

Guest proud2beaussie

Thanks Quoll,

So do you generally have difficulty with your credit cards in the UK?

I generally don't use my Aussie credit cards over there because of the foreign transactions charges levied by my bank,I just use travellers cheques and cash,I have asked ny bank to issue UK cards for me and they have said that they will be waiting for me at the branch in Bromley where I have asked for an account to be opened for me.

Do you find the chip and pin thing on Uk cards easy to use-I'd appreciate your advice.

Cheers

Archived