Will I be able to work?

RueA

Hi All,

I'm an Occupational Therapist and I am completing my paper work to register with the COTRB (The registration board for OT's in Australia).

However my husband and I have just had thought will I be able to work in Australia? My husband is a teacher and he has been granted state sponsership from Victoria and is the main visa applicant.

(Visa application sent 18th March and we are due to have our medicals on the 24th April. Our case officer was allocated this week.)

Cheers Ruth

Hi All,

I'm an Occupational Therapist and I am completing my paper work to register with the COTRB (The registration board for OT's in Australia).

However my husband and I have just had thought will I be able to work in Australia? My husband is a teacher and he has been granted state sponsership from Victoria and is the main visa applicant.

(Visa application sent 18th March and we are due to have our medicals on the 24th April. Our case officer was allocated this week.)

Cheers Ruth

If you are granted a subclass 176 visa you will be allowed to work.

Hi Feeling rather thick now!!!

I didn't realise the 176 was the same as subclass 176!!!

The answers are out there if we look!!!!!!! but then many be a good nights sleep helped!!!! (Thank you Megan (1) for sleeping all night!!!!!!!!!!)

What does this visa let me do?

This visa allows you and any secondary applicants included in your visa application to live as permanent residents in Australia.

Australian permanent residents can:

• live and work in Australia on a permanent basis
  • study in Australia at school or university
  • receive subsidised healthcare through Medicare and the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS)
  • access certain social security payments (subject to waiting periods)
  • be eligible for Australian citizenship (subject to the residency eligibility criteria)
  • sponsor people for permanent residence.

Cheers Ruth

• 9 months later...

Hi Lisa,

We're not there yet plan to go next yr. We had our visa granted on 1st July 09 and spent 3 wks over there in Aug 09. We expecting baby no 2 in Sept so will be selling the house etc this yr all being well. We are planning to settle in Victora about an hr or so away from Melbourne.We visited Melbourne Geelong, Sydney and near Brisban. Loved it all. Have you been before?

I've regestered with the COTRB which was straight forward enoungh. I've been an OT since 97 currently in SS. What about you? There was a couple of other threads on here about OT. I must admit I haven't been on here for a while.

Take care Ruth.

Hi Ruth

We are still here too - visa granted Nov 09 . We hope to go over in August to Perth to activate. Congrats on baby no 2. We have one 17 year old.

My OH has always wanted to live in Perth so havent visited Victoria or Melbourne , just Sydney and Perth. I have my reservations about going, but I have a friend there who just loves it. I am finding it really hard to get any info about OT are you?

I have been an OT for the last 8 years - Intermediate Care - now a team lead and dont get to see many patients sadly. What do you do in SS?

Thanks for getting back to me - I am new to this

Take care

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

For some reason I couldn't get back into Pomsinoz the screen kept freezing!

I know what you mean not much info out there the other threads on here where

Qualified Occupational Therapist without post grad experience and Student occupational therapist.

I think there are a couple of others who are already working there and might have a bit more experience of working in Ot in Oz especially a yr on.

Our service is changing yet again and in theory I'll be moving into reablement but that was due to happen in Sept 09, some are moving in March but I've got to wait, but will be off on Mat leave before then I reckon. I did work in the NHS for about 5 yrs then SS for a couple and went to the local Uni to teach OT for a yr but missed the patients too much and went back to SS.

We have our reservations at times but figure if we don't like it we'll move back and yes it will have cost us but we'll have gained an experience or two along the way. Still scary though.

Will be good to see if we can find out a bit more.

Take care Ruth

Hi Ruth

Can I ask where you are based? Our local SS in Kent are just moving over to enablement. Think they are struggling a bit.

Seems like you have had some good experiences - bet teaching was good- was it at the same uni that you trained?

Yes I agree with what you say and really I am in a good position as being allowed to take a five year career break but OH is not guaranteed employment if we do come back but hey guess you need to take some risks in life!

Take care

Lisa

Archived