Hello

DebsX

I just wanted to say Hi to all the people on one of the nicest forums I have found. It is so reassuring to find like minded people out there who are going through the same up and down emotions I've been going through in the last few months. It certainly is one rollercoaster ride, and is so nice to find a site which talks about all the positives of moving to Oz, and giving me and I'm sure lots of others out there the confidence that we are doing the right thing and to hang on in there.

Anyway a bit about ourselves I'm 43 (going on 93, after all the visa stress) hubby is 45 and a marine engineer. Hubby has 3 kids who live with their mum in Ireland and have decided not to come with us, though I'm sure when they come to visit they may change their minds. We've had our Tra passed and have our medicals booked for 4th April which I'm dreading(being a 20 a day smoker.)Then I guess it will be all systems go. It all seems pretty daunting at the moment, leaving behind everything and everyone that I know, but I'm looking on this as a once in a lifetime opportunity and a great adventure. I want to say good luck to all those who are just starting out on the long visa road, and to those like us who are nearly there. I can't wait till I get to Oz and can tell all those in this situation to hang in there, it will be the best decision of your lives .

Hopefully I won't bug you guys too much over the coming months, as you can see from my post I do tend to garble on a bit. Sorry for that.

All the best

Debbie

Hi

We decided to go through an agent. i know this is the costly route,but we wanted to get it right first time. We chose Go matilda and have found their help and advice invaluable. It seems to make the whole process so much easier when you can just pick up the phone or send an email if you have any problems. Are you going it alone or through an agent?

Debbie

Guest The.Colebecks

Hi Debie & Family

Welcome to the roller-coaster ride :wink:

Good luck.

The Colebecks x

Guest graham$nic

Hi Deb welcome this is such a great site and addictive im on hours sometimes good luck with everything

Hi Debs

Welcome to Poms, Hope you dont mind me asking but when you say your hubby is a Marine Engineer does that mean he builds boats/ships??

My hubby is an Automotive Engineer and someone at the Oz expo last week said he should consider boat building if he cant get a job at a car plant.

Would you know if the boat building industry is doing well in Oz and in which state??

Sorry to be so personal when you've only just joined! :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

Sam x:wub:

Hi sam

Well I'll try to be as accurate as possible. He isn't in the boat building industry. Basically he trained as a Fitter and Turner, and then went back to college to become a Marine Engineer, and his main job is maintenance onboard passenger ferries. As Fitter and Turner was on the demand list for Oz this is the occupation he went with. Don't ask me what a Fitter and Turner does. You would probably know more about it than I do :)

We've never been to Australia and were originally looking to move to Perth, but from looking at various forums and various job sites I think his job prospects will be much better in the Brisbane region ( I may be wrong on that) Not sure if this answers your question but if you need any more info i will get him to post on here when he gets in from work.

Hi sam

Well I'll try to be as accurate as possible. He isn't in the boat building industry. Basically he trained as a Fitter and Turner, and then went back to college to become a Marine Engineer, and his main job is maintenance onboard passenger ferries. As Fitter and Turner was on the demand list for Oz this is the occupation he went with. Don't ask me what a Fitter and Turner does. You would probably know more about it than I do :)

We've never been to Australia and were originally looking to move to Perth, but from looking at various forums and various job sites I think his job prospects will be much better in the Brisbane region ( I may be wrong on that) Not sure if this answers your question but if you need any more info i will get him to post on here when he gets in from work.

Hi Deb

I've sent you a private message, Its long and boring. :SLEEP: You have been warned.

Sam x:wub:

Archived