move to Adelaide

Guest Kev

Hi we are moving to Adelaide sometime before Oct 09. We are not sure of what areas to rent in when we arrive, so any info on what areas are like would be great. I would also like to know if anyone has any recommendations on pre-schools also tips on where admin jobs might be advertised.

hope someone can help, i sure we will be ok when we get there but would like to know something beforehand!:wubclub:

Carolyn, currently in UK

Hi Carolyn,

Regarding pre-schools......when kids turn 4, they are allowed 4 x 30 mins slots of free Kindy. The first one I took my boy too I found it too relaxed with no structure, I felt the children were just left to do what they wanted. But then I enrolled him in a Kindy attached to a school. Here they sang songs, talked about the alphabet etc and had activities where they learned through play.

Once you have moved over, its worth popping into a few and checking them out.

Cheers

Judi x

Hi Judi,

Thanks for the reply. I guess it is a matter of just popping into a few & finding a place that fits us, i think you just worry about what is going to happen before you arrive when some things are just out of your hands.

Carolyn xx

Carolyn, do you have any particular requirements for where you live?

I am from Adelaide and will be returning home later this year hopefully with my OH from the UK - dependent on getting his de facto visa.

Real Estate, Property, Land and Homes for Sale, lease and rent - realestate.com.au is a great website for rental and sales

Right in Adelaide is getting expensive and from what I understand prices are getting slightly higher at the moment. You can put in figures within your budget on realestate.com.au and it will bring up some areas within that range.

If you find some areas and then want more information, feel free to send me a message and I will do my best to tell you what I know.

Hope this helps, it can be really hard when you have no idea where to start.

Vee

Hi Vee

Thanks for the web site info. I don't really mind where we stay when we first arrive but would like something 2 beds ish because i have a son, then i guess we can look at areas when we are there. Though it might be nice for my son if we are near the sea then it will seem like a holiday at 1st. I have read that the government will give you 12 wks in public housing when you arrive, do you know anything about that?

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn

Living by the sea in Adelaide can be a bit more expensive, the website address I gave you will hopefully give you an idea about prices...areas such as North Haven, Henley Beach, Grange, Glenelg, West Beach...some cheaper places may be Taperoo, Osborne, Exeter and in the south Noarlunga, Seaford, etc. Hope this is useful...

As for the government giving 12 weeks housing, unfortunately I know nothing about this. Information I found re: settling/migrating in Australia as follow (unfortunately nothing about assistance with housing)...

Have you recently moved to Australia to settle?

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/994i.pdf

What Services are Available?

Goodluck

Vee

Guest migration angel

Hi Kev,

Here's some good news for you and those considering migrating to South Australia. The state is leading the way with the support it is offering to new migrants.They have even put together an impressive package of on arrival services, which includes:

-Meet and Greet

-On Arrival Public Accommodation

-Skills Recognition Services (SRS)

-Employment Linkages Service (ELS)

For more information visit www.migration.sa.gov.au

You may be eligible for their furnished rental accommodation which is available for 12 week periods. :yes:

Archived