Obtaining Diabetes Supplies In The UK?

Guest proud2beaussie

Guest proud2beaussie

Hi All,

I'm moving to the UK in May and was wondering whether anyone can give me a heads up about glucose test strips for diabetes.

I'm a Type 2 diabetic and here in Australia I don't need a prescription for test strips for my glucose meter,but I do have to fill in an order form and pay $14.10 for 100 strips which lasts about 30 days.

Can anyone advise me about the situation in the UK?Will I have to pay for them and how do I go about getting them?

All advice appreciated.

Hi Nigel, Wld probably need to bump you back up for when the UK users are on-line.

Are you a British Citizen? As just wondered if you would be covered by the NHS, or perhaps you would just need to pay a prescription charge, not sure how much that is in the UK now.

Good luck hope you find the answer

hI NIGEL i too am diabeiic and have just moved to aus (melbourne) from the uk ,diabeties is well recognised in the uk and youll find that all your medication,test strips needles and insulin if you are on (insulin) should all be free through the national health system.just register with your local gp and thats it all FREE in my case on insulin all persciptions were free but you have to ask that one mate hope this helps and good luck in the uk (i was from derbyshire a spa town called buxton)

Guest proud2beaussie
hI NIGEL i too am diabeiic and have just moved to aus (melbourne) from the uk ,diabeties is well recognised in the uk and youll find that all your medication,test strips needles and insulin if you are on (insulin) should all be free through the national health system.just register with your local gp and thats it all FREE in my case on insulin all persciptions were free but you have to ask that one mate hope this helps and good luck in the uk (i was from derbyshire a spa town called buxton)

Thanks for the information,and here's some for you.

If you have just arrived in OZ can I suggest you go to:

NDSS - NDSS

and register online,that way you will get all your test strips etc at "reduced' rates,as I said I pay $14.10 for 100 strips for my Optium meter,otherwise it would cost me $65.00.so do that straight away.

Then ,as you are in Melbourne go to:

Diabetes Australia – Vic > Home.

There is lots of information there about various things to do with diabetes in Victoria.

HTH

(Thanks for your help too-hope you come to love Australia as much as I do)

nigel

Archived