Immigration cut only temporary: Evans

Guest earlswood

Guest earlswood

The Federal Government says it expects immigration levels to bounce back to record highs once the global financial crisis is over.

This will most probably be only for this year.

"We're going to need migrants to keep the workforce numbers up in coming years,"

Maybe only for 12 months as a big rebound will happen as the Country comes out of it's short lived recession.

Immigration cut only temporary: Evans - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Guest asrais

Well I guess that is something - I don't know anything about economics, but is the recession really only predicted to last a year??

Guest earlswood
Well I guess that is something - I don't know anything about economics, but is the recession really only predicted to last a year??

Yes...all the experts I have heard on radio 4 over the last couple of weeks think it will be shorter lived than we thought.

Thy may well need more artisans in Oz they they needed before the recession, so those coming next year may find their jobs in even greater demand.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Earlswood

Sounds like Industry & Business have jumped on the Minister and possibly also the Ambassadors/High Commissioners for NZ, the UK and India. These three countries account for over 40% of the annual skilled migrant intake according to DIAC's own figures.

The relevant stats are here:

Statistics - Publications, Research & Statistics

I'll fish around later and find the exact table I got my own figures from. The breakdown is NZ 18%, UK just under 15% and India 10.6%. The individual percentages per country become small after these 3.

My view is that the Minister has dropped a PR clanger by failing to apologise to the people who, in good faith, have spent a lot of money on their preparations for (hopefully) obtaining Aussie visas only to have this new Minister shifting the goalposts on them twice in the first quarter of 2009. This is not the way to win hearts and minds because Australia is no longer "the only" country that somebody might reasonably choose to migrate to.

Mess would be migrants around enough now and the result could well be that when when the Minister discovers that he needs them again some of the strongest andidates will turn round and tell him, "Too late, mate. I've now made other arrangements elsewhere."

He needs to apologise for his bungled PR, not whine hopefully that he thinks it will be business as usual again one day but he knows not when.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest wiggly
Hi Earlswood

Sounds like Industry & Business have jumped on the Minister and possibly also the Ambassadors/High Commissioners for NZ, the UK and India. These three countries account for over 40% of the annual skilled migrant intake according to DIAC's own figures.

The relevant stats are here:

Statistics - Publications, Research & Statistics

I'll fish around later and find the exact table I got my own figures from. The breakdown is NZ 18%, UK just under 15% and India 10.6%. The individual percentages per country become small after these 3.

My view is that the Minister has dropped a PR clanger by failing to apologise to the people who, in good faith, have spent a lot of money on their preparations for (hopefully) obtaining Aussie visas only to have this new Minister shifting the goalposts on them twice in the first quarter of 2009. This is not the way to win hearts and minds because Australia is no longer "the only" country that somebody might reasonably choose to migrate to.

Mess would be migrants around enough now and the result could well be that when when the Minister discovers that he needs them again some of the strongest andidates will turn round and tell him, "Too late, mate. I've now made other arrangements elsewhere."

He needs to apologise for his bungled PR, not whine hopefully that he thinks it will be business as usual again one day but he knows not when.

Best wishes

Gill

± starts singing "have i told you lately..."

lol thanks for the post Gill :)

Its not all doom and gloom, just a pain in the proverbial for now

Archived