For anyone interested in Oz history

dalhousie

For anyone on the site who is interested in Australian Colonial history there is a program on ABC1 on Sunday 15th March at 7.30pm called "Rouge Nation". It seems to be factual and is hosted by Melbourne Uni historian Michael Cathcart.

An extract from the Melbourne Age Green Guide reads

"Rouge Nation tells the story of how an intriguing and unlikely cast of men and women transformed Australia from a brutal British penal colony into a modern and distinctive new society in record time"

I hope it's as good as it sounds.

dalhousie

Might have a squiz at it.

An aside in "OZ History". One of my job requirements was to search for gravel deposits and water holes long the desert areas in WA and one day came across a pool about 100 metres long and 20 metres wide. Both sides of the pool, at about 50 metres away, were literally thousands of Aboriginal chippings, including a number of glass spear heads. I gave one to my son for his "show and tell" at school. The teacher would not believe it and told my son not to be so stupid.

Needless to say, the teacher had to apologise for making such a remark. I actually found 5 glass spearheads that day.

Cheers, Bobj.

Might have a squiz at it.

An aside in "OZ History". One of my job requirements was to search for gravel deposits and water holes long the desert areas in WA and one day came across a pool about 100 metres long and 20 metres wide. Both sides of the pool, at about 50 metres away, were literally thousands of Aboriginal chippings, including a number of glass spear heads. I gave one to my son for his "show and tell" at school. The teacher would not believe it and told my son not to be so stupid.

Needless to say, the teacher had to apologise for making such a remark. I actually found 5 glass spearheads that day.

Cheers, Bobj.

Great stuff Bobj, I was unaware that Aborigines made glass spear heads, but my OH (who collects spear heads from middens around the coast here) has now told me the tribes started to use glass from found bottles soon after the European Invasion. He has also seen one "superb" one made from an electricity transistor. Apparently there is a collection of glass spear heads in the Adelaide Museum.

Did you ever see - some years ago now - the ABC series "Bush Mechanic" about the tribe or tribes who repaired and ran old "bombs" with fencing wire and just about anything else they found around the traps Great show!!

Cheers

dalhousie

Great stuff Bobj, I was unaware that Aborigines made glass spear heads, but my OH (who collects spear heads from middens around the coast here) has now told me the tribes started to use glass from found bottles soon after the European Invasion. He has also seen one "superb" one made from an electricity transistor. Apparently there is a collection of glass spear heads in the Adelaide Museum.

Did you ever see - some years ago now - the ABC series "Bush Mechanic" about the tribe or tribes who repaired and ran old "bombs" with fencing wire and just about anything else they found around the traps Great show!!

Cheers

dalhousie

A lot of that was filmed in the Pilbara and Kimberlies, WA. An excellent programme.

Another aside...sorry:

Looking for gravel in the edge of the desert, about half way between Hall's Creek and Fitzoy Crossing, about 20 km south, off the road, I came across an old Valiant car, doors wide open, bonnet up and the key in the ignition. There were no tracks at all in the spinifex, meaning that it had been there for over a year. I radioed through to camp and they sent the police out to check it out.

It wasn't on any police list and they (police) surmised that a group of Aboriginals were trying to get to Billiluna Aboriginal Reserve... That was in 1975...Wonder if it's still there?

Cheers, Bobj.

Archived