Primary or Senior in NSW

Guest jane99

Guest jane99

Hi, My son is 11, 12 at end of March. We are planning on moving to Sydney in June. Will he be at senior school or have a few more months at primary? Is in year 7 in the UK. If anyone can help would much appreciate it.

Guest jane99
Could be either, your choice really either a young year 7 or old year 6. The cut off date for nsw is end july. Year 7 is probably your best bet if he is at least average.

Thanks. Do you mean it is possible to choose? A bit concerned about settling him in one school for 6 months, buying uniform etc and then moving again.

Thanks. Do you mean it is possible to choose? A bit concerned about settling him in one school for 6 months, buying uniform etc and then moving again.

With a kid whose birthday is close to the cut off then there is a bit of leeway as to whether he goes into the year at the younger end or not. If he was closer to July I would suggest the 6 months of primary but as he is March he wouldnt be out of place in HS especially as he has already had a year of HS in UK. There is a degree of choice, but I suspect the push would be for you to place him in year 7 anyway. The only benefit of doing the PS thing is to get him established with some mates to move to HS with him. It can be a bit tricky getting yourself into a social group half way through your first year of HS when all the alliances have been formed but I am sure he will be fine.

Archived