what to take on plane

Guest Paul Cally

Guest Paul Cally

Can anyone help with dos and donts on what to take on the actual flight , as we are doing it in june and would appreciate any advice on the subject especially from people who thought i wish we bought this or that when it was to late !

Thanks for any help.

Guest koala12

Just take what you need for immediate use like clothes, etc. You can buy toiletries, etc once you arrive so use your suitcase for stuff you can't do without rather than weighing it down with things you can buy here! I can't think of anything I didn't bring that I wished I had other than when we arrived last September the weather was so much warmer than I had been lead to believe and we had brought warmer clothes than we needed so had to go out and buy a few lighter weight things.....no hardship!!!!

Hi

Think you should check with the airline just a few days before you fly - as we flew to oz in aug and had some friends come out in dec and by the time dec has come around it had changed what you could and coudnt take onboard

As regards any important documents i.e. divorce certificates,birth,marriage,stat decs bank books etc take in your hand luggage as rather a pain in the %&% if your suitcases go walk about

Guest JoanneHattersley
Can anyone help with dos and donts on what to take on the actual flight , as we are doing it in june and would appreciate any advice on the subject especially from people who thought i wish we bought this or that when it was to late !

Thanks for any help.

We took photographs on the plane with us - mainly on cd! Stuff that could not be replaced. I took my jewellery, medications that I needed. like others say - the basics to get you thru 2/3 days. Looking back now we took 3 holdalls and 3 cases and I wouldve sent in boxes probably 1/2 of that! Still what I never knew then I can advise on now!

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi there

As Gizmo says, check the website for the airport you will be flying from, and check it again not sooner than 48 hours before you leave. Or look on the Department for Transport website because they are the people who imposed the hand-luggage restrictions - complete with the idiotic proposition that 100ml of toothpaste is a cleanser but 110ml of it is potentially a weapon of mass destruction.

Also, at Hethrow now they have a sort of cage thing behind each check-in girl. If your hand luggage won't fit into the cage, it has to go in the hold, so make sure you get teh permitted dimensions for hand-luggage and that yours doesn't exceed it.

If it is an unused PR visa and you have one-way tickets, most airlines will give you double the normal baggage allowance free of charge, but check with the airline.

The other thing is get to the airport EARLY. The new restrictions were causing the most appalling queues at Heathrow when my mother flew from there last October.

Gotta run. Time to leave for work.....

Cheers

Gill

Maybe some light entertainment on DVD you could play on a laptop to help pass the hours. I can recommend 'Snakes on a plane!' and 'Flightplan'.

Guest andi,allen

:idea: Hi , can anyone help , i know you can take laptops on the plane but what about external hard drives ?? Don't realy want to pack it in my case , it will take up valuable shoe space .

:rofl: Hi to everyone down under , we will be joining you shortly ,

Archived