parents contributory visa. HELP!!!

Guest kimdownie

Guest kimdownie

hi there,

we are in the processes of applying for the 136 visa, and have told our parents. I have read many posts about the cont parent visa and my parents are up for it. I know that we need to be settled in oz for 2 years before they can apply, and then their visa application could take 15 months, my dad is 55 and my mum is 54, by the time they are able to put in their application they will be 58 and 57, they are both very fit and active people but my dad is starting to panic that their health may deteriorate in this time which might make them unacceptable for residency. does anyone know anything about how serious the health issues need to be for a parent to be unsuccessful?, he is also worried that the embassy might change the parent migration options, how likely is this???, he is such a pessamist but he has got me thinking.

anyone help?

Guest Gollywobbler

Hello Kim

Please reassure your parenta from me.

My mother was 85 when her own Contributory Parent visa was granted 6 months ago. Mum is physically disabled, too. She broke her back in an accident a few years ago which has caused permanent spinal chord damage. As a result, she needs a zimmer-frame in order to get aroiund at home and a wheelchair (plus someone to push it for her) when she goes further afield. They made us get a report from a geriatrician but that wasn't surprising. Mum's med were given an unconditional OK after the MoC read the geriatrician's report.

The oldest Contributory Parent I have heard of was an old lady of 97 from Devon. Her visa was granted in or around August 2005.

Currently Contributory Parent visas are taking about 12-15 months to process from start to finish. There is an option for the Temporary CP 173, which is a bit quicker because no Assurace of Support is needed at the temp stage. It has to be upgraded to the permanent CP 173 within 2 years, however. With Mum, we decided that we didn't want to be fiddling around with these visas for longer than absolutely necessary, so we decided on the immediately-permanent CP 143 for her.

I don't think they will abolish the Contributory Parent scheme. It was introduced on 1 July 2003 and as far as I can see, it has been a great success. At the minute, supply and demand seem to be level-pegging. Shortage of staff, not shortage of visas, is slowing things up at the POPC.

I don't think your Parents need worry about anything. Austibeach is waiting till he and his wife can apply for CP visas. A PM to him might help to reassure your Mum & Dad.

Hope this helps and if need be, I can put your parents in touch with loads of other CPs and people who are waiting till their children have lived in Oz for 2 years before they can apply. Better still, I suggest, encourage Dad to join the forum himself? At 86, my Mum doesn't do working computers but younger parents do!

Cheers

Gill

Guest randpm

Hi Kim,

We are parents and have a daughter in Australia.... it will be a difficult time for your parents to decide on what to do.... our daughter has now been in Australia for 7 years now and they have been hard for us.

However you don't say if they will meet the 50% rule. Unless you are the only child they must have 50% of their children in Australia before they can be considered.

Having got over that...they should visit you as often as they can afford over the next two years to make sure its for them.... we have been here now for the last 6 years.

If they want to join you and can afford the fees...then they should just " go fo it " and let matters take there own course. If they apply for a temp. status first it is easier and gives more time to pay the fees , just ina case they dont like it after all!

The main thing is to get a good adviser for their finances as well as their Visa. There are a few agents that advis eon both but that is very important at their age..... we are 57 ourselves and have spent a great deal of time understanding tax, pensions etc. we have used our regular visits to understand many things as well as housing ..the area to live in etc. Tell them not tp worry about the system or the medical...all will take its turn. Spens the next couple of years getting on top of what Australia is all abot for older couples.

Well I hope thats of some help......

Good Luck

Roger and Pat....

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Roger & Pat

Thanks for your excellent and very helpful reply to Kim.

I've just got one query and you might happen to know the answer.... If Parents are on the Temp CP 173 visa, can they buy a pre-occupied house or are they restricted to new-build only, in the same way as if they were on a tourist visa, do you know?

Thanks

Gill

Guest kimdownie

hi Roger and Pat,

Thanks for your reply, in answer to your question about balance of family.

We are applying for the subclass 136 which would give us permanent residency, once we have been there the 2 years necessary we will be their 50% requirement for the balance of family test. fortunatly they have no financial worries, so providing they like it, I know that they wiil jump at the chance of the move. My parents both have strong millitary backgrounds and are very used to moving around and settling in different places, so fingers and toes are all crossed that we get their ourselves to make it all possible.

Thanks again for everyones responses

Kim

Guest newnico

Hi, Roger and Pat

Can you recommend anyone for advice on finances etc? I'm beginning to think about what to do with pension, investments etc (now 60) and don't know where to start? My next visit to Melbourne is in May, so hope to find out a few things then. I think I heard that you have to move your pension fund within 6 months of moving to Oz? Would you happen to know if that's right?

Sorry to bombard you with questions, but you sound as if you've got your heads screwed on!

Cheers

Nico

Guest randpm

Hi Nico,

We got some great advice in the UK and it seems that the best way to come is with 173 Temp Res. visa. This gives you 2 years to sort out CGT,Savings ,Pensions and Investments. This is because as a Temp Res you are not subject to tax on foreign income and as you have left the UK you are only subject to tax at source on savings etc which you can claim back ( not the 10% on Divs though ).

As far as pensions are concerned there is a lot to understand and it depends on your current situation...eg is it in payment or not etc. The Aus super system is great as after 60 all income from super is tax free. However after investigation it seems to me that you need to look at Industry funds that are open to the public.....

There is a lot to learn if you are not to get it wrong!

As far as recommending advisers is concerned this is not the place for that ..if you wish to PM me I will try to help... in the meantime take a look at these sites:

http://www.selectingsuper.com.au/Provider_profiles.html

http://www.selectingsuper.com.au/index.html

http://www.ifs.net.au/iffp_home.htm

Roger.

Guest randpm

Hi Gill,

Your question on the property status with 173 visa ...... we have been advised that we can go ahead and buy any property with this visa..... not put to the test yet...however the agents here arn't that interested so its up to the individual if they want to risk it even if my info is wrong.... it will probably take a few months to find and purchase and you have to apply for Perm. status within 2 years so the time line is quite short.

Roger...

For a 'non Resident' to buy property here, you have to apply to the Foreign Investment Board, otherwise there are hefty fines for everyone.

The property HAS to be brand new. We waited for one month before we received approval to buy our house.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest newnico

Many thanks for this, Roger. Just catching up on PIO after 10 days away to clear the brain. Financial stuff now top of the list as the kids between them seem to have sorted out the nightmare of assurance of support. I see your point about the temp visa giving time to sort out the finances, but now well down the road with the permanent CPV. The links look very useful.

Cheers

Nico

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Nico

I am SO pleased to hear that your AoS is OK.

Don't worry too much about your meds expiring, either. The validity of the meds can be extended if the MOC OKs it, so Mum's CO told us when we queried this point. She said that if we wanted to delay the Initial Entry Date, she could defer it for up to 6 months as long as the MOC agreed to this. She did not seem to think there would be any problem with getting an extension for Mum if we wanted her to ask the MOC for us.

As it happened, we did not need to ask for the Initial Entry Date to be deferred because they treated the day on which the MOC eventually cleared Mum on the meds as being the first day in the 12 month period, not the date of her original meds.

Get your Agent to ask about this if you need to, or just ring the POPC yourself if you prefer. Their phone number is on the DIAC website and they do not mind answering queries.

Be sure to shout when your visa is granted, won't you?

Cheers

Gill

in respect to this thread we are in a similar situation ,(136), and are going in june, but my parents would like to come , mam + dad both 58. the prob is the balance of family i am there only son but i have 3 sisters who may or may not decide oz is for them.

is there any way i can get my parents out there or am i stuffed because of the 50% rule?, can they apply for a temp 173 temp. visa then a permanent one?, or do these visas still have the 50 % rule??

johnd

Guest newnico

Thanks so much, Gill, for your usual kind and reassuring comments. Fingers crossed the Centrelink appointment goes OK for daughter and current self-sacrificial boyfriend (he has the necessary pay-slips and tax returns!). For the moment I'm not worrying about dates, though my meds have actually already expired. I can get them redone if asked, and I've already redone the police check as that's so slow. Will update everyone as things progress. Can I finally be within sight of the end?!

Guest Gollywobbler
Thanks so much, Gill, for your usual kind and reassuring comments. Fingers crossed the Centrelink appointment goes OK for daughter and current self-sacrificial boyfriend (he has the necessary pay-slips and tax returns!). For the moment I'm not worrying about dates, though my meds have actually already expired. I can get them redone if asked, and I've already redone the police check as that's so slow. Will update everyone as things progress. Can I finally be within sight of the end?!

Hi Nico

Of course you are nearly there! I know it is bitter-sweet for you because of leaving your Partner behind but hey, he can come to visit you maybe?

This might help cheer you up a bit. My Mum is 86, dependent on a Zimmer-frame and was widowed nearly 16 years ago. I couldn't believe the letter granting her visa! There is a bit where they list any visa-Conditions that have been imposed. I can't remember the number but they solemnly wrote:

Condition xxxx: Visa-holder must not marry before entering Australia.

I couldn't help but chuckle. Did they think she was going to nip into an old folks home and nick one of the residents with a yen to live in Australia or something?!

Or maybe a 25 year old tiy-boy looking for a route into Oz?

The mind boggles because apparently now that she has made her initial entry, Mum could have wannabe husbands beaing a path to her door, it would seem!

Still, there is no denying that DIAC is thorough. Not even the most bizarre possibilities get overlooked, evidently.... :policeman:

Cheers

Gill :biggrin:

Guest randpm
in respect to this thread we are in a similar situation ,(136), and are going in june, but my parents would like to come , mam + dad both 58. the prob is the balance of family i am there only son but i have 3 sisters who may or may not decide oz is for them.

is there any way i can get my parents out there or am i stuffed because of the 50% rule?, can they apply for a temp 173 temp. visa then a permanent one?, or do these visas still have the 50 % rule??

johnd

Hi John,

This is difficult as the 173 also requires 50%.... however worth contacting a good agent as they have other ways of getting parents in sometimes....believe it or not some times as students!!! Contact Geraint Davies on +44 (0) 1483 202072 or Geraint.Davies@miplc.co.uk and see if he can help.... good luck!

Roger,

Yes, the 173 visa provides the tax exemptions you have mentioned, but the risk with the 173 -> 143 visa strategy is that something unexpected happens to your intended Assurer (required for the 143 visa). This could mean problems being granted the 143 visa - and if that were the case you could find yourself in a tricky situation when the 173 visa expires ...

As I tend to say, don't let the tax tail wag the visa dog ... :-)

Remember also that UK source pension income remains taxable in the UK when you are the holder of an Australian temporary residency visa.

Best regards.

Hi Nico,

We got some great advice in the UK and it seems that the best way to come is with 173 Temp Res. visa. This gives you 2 years to sort out CGT,Savings ,Pensions and Investments. This is because as a Temp Res you are not subject to tax on foreign income and as you have left the UK you are only subject to tax at source on savings etc which you can claim back ( not the 10% on Divs though ).

As far as pensions are concerned there is a lot to understand and it depends on your current situation...eg is it in payment or not etc. The Aus super system is great as after 60 all income from super is tax free. However after investigation it seems to me that you need to look at Industry funds that are open to the public.....

There is a lot to learn if you are not to get it wrong!

As far as recommending advisers is concerned this is not the place for that ..if you wish to PM me I will try to help... in the meantime take a look at these sites:

http://www.selectingsuper.com.au/Provider_profiles.html

http://www.selectingsuper.com.au/index.html

http://www.ifs.net.au/iffp_home.htm

Roger.

Guest randpm
Geraint Davies is not a registered migration agent ...

Best regards.

Hi Alan,

I am aware of that but Geriant works closely with John Adams who is an agent and together they seem to have a good package......

Regards

Roger

Guest Gollywobbler

johnd

Hi Johnd

The Balance of Family Test has to be met for all of the Parent visas. If one of your sisters migrates too, that would solve the problem. Otherwise, I am afraid that it is strictly enforced.

If your Parents are wealthy enough, they could consider an Investor Retirement visa instead. Please see here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/special-activity/405/index.htm

and here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/iforms_alpha.htm#r

Read all the Information Forms as well, I would suggest. As far as I know, this visa is not mentioned in any of the Booklets.

I have not gpt a clue how this visa works as far as the financial side is concerned bout there is an interesting thread about it on the Go Matilda forum at the moment. Please see here:

http://gomatildaforums.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1066053782/m/1301004242

It seems that John Sylvester at Go Matilda understands the Investor Retirement visa if you feel that you need to consult someone who has actually done some of these.

If Investor Retirement would not be possible for your parents, do bear in mind that DIAC in London are quite generous with long-stay tourist visas for British Parents as long as the Parents don't try to rely on a succession of them in order to "live" in Australia.

Best wishes

Gill

Archived