Sending stuff home ...

up4answers

Hi there

Me and my wife are in Oz, having a great time having been here six months. We're unsure of how long we'll stay, probably at least another 12 months.

Our dilema is buying stuff here. We don't know whether to buy decent stuff and eventually ship it home, or just buy cheaper stuff and leave behind.

This also applies to us getting a car. We don't know whether to buy decent with a view to shipping it home, or a banger.

And there's the dog, who's still at the inlaws in the UK at the moment. I know about bringing her out. Can anyone shed any light on taking her home?, cost, quarrantine length going back to UK?, jack russell.

If we bought a car could we put it in the 20ft container with the rest of our stuff? or does it have to go seperately.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tim_the_taf

just moved back so can help with this one. We bought all new stuff in Perth, left everything back home, 'coz were in a similar situation. Sold the big stuff, and took back smaller stuff and some furniture. Also took our flat screen TV back, but no need, they're much cheaper in the UK these days, so we should have sold it in Perth. Don't bother with taking a car back, they're dirt cheap in the UK now, the market's collapsed. I went to an auction recently, could have bought a 3 yr old top of the range diesel Discovery with 20k miles on the clock, and warranteed for 11k !! 2 yr old Range Rover went for 20k; 1 yr old diesel A6Avant for 13k; 3 yr old diesel Passat for 6.5k etc etc. Just not worth it, they're cheaper in the UK, and you avoid the hassle and cost of shipping.

Guest brooksey

Your dog would have to do 6 months in uk or take 6 months worth of blood testing and injections over here and no quaranteen. Sorry can't help with costs.

Guest tim_the_taf

I think re the car if its a 20 ft container, and the car's 14 ft long, it will be a struggle, suspect you'd need a 40ft container. We paid approx $6k to ship 101 boxes/ items (furniture, bikes etc.) fully insured. Only took 8 wks door to door via Fremantle/ Felixstowe.

Guest tim_the_taf

surf boards and didgeridoos are cheaper in Oz ! So they're worth buying and taking back. Remember that you have to have owned them for 6 months before they arrive in the UK to avoid duty and VAT. So, keep your receipts as well.

Archived