Secondary Education

Guest sbackhouse

Guest sbackhouse

Hi

Me and my wife are both Registered Nurse thinking of emigrating to Oz. We have three children 14,12,& 8. My 14 year old is currently in the 10th grade/year she has already started the course work for two GCSE;s although not due to take her full options until september 2009. I would appriciate any comments advice in relation to the suitability of transfering her education from the UK-Oz at such a critical time, and I wonder wether it would be resonable to do so. I could wait for a few years until both my older children 14 & 12 have finished their secondary education but with my age being against me at a mear 43 almost 44. I am uncertain of my best move for the family. Is the education examinations similar to the UK and will I affect my eldest child's chances of becoming a vet if I move to Oz at this time.

:mask:

Stephen

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Stephen

Now may be the right time to make the move before it does start to interfere with their school work. My son is 15yrs old and has just started Yr 9, next year is when they start bottling down and getting prepared for exams etc with years 11 and 12 being the most important. So as you have your age against you it may be worth getting out as soon as you can.

Good luck

Kate

Guest sbackhouse

Thanks Kate for the advice, I'm activley looking in to it, I have spent hrs on the net and talking to friends already in Oz although they not got children. They have given me lots of web links to various sites but to be honest alot of them give conflict with each other. But hopefully i'll get there in time and sort out the schooling!

Thanks again

Stephen

Guest WARDStoOZ

Hi Stephen, I agree with Kate, from what I've heard on here GCSEs don't count for anything in Oz so you should get over there while it's still a reasonable time to do so, I'm in year 12 (a third of the way through my 'A' levels) so this is more of a serious issue (unfortunately for me).

All the best!

Dan :smile:

Yes, either do it before your eldest turns 16 so that she would be able to start year 11 at the right age or stay and do A levels. The latter may not be so daft an idea as she may find that the A levels required to get her into vet sci would be lower than she might need to have in UK and also be more attainable than the toppest of the top level required to get her in in Aus.

Personally I wouldnt be bringing a kid here at that age if there was any likelihood of things going pear shaped and the child deciding they would prefer to go to a UK uni.

Archived