Study and single

Guest EMO

Hi guys

My name is Sue - I am a young 40 years of age and thought I'd start at thread as I have no children (well not coming with me) and am now single (ish)

I am originally from Yorkshire but have lived in France for 3 years now.

I am (hoping) to live somewhere in Perth so I can carry on my accounting studies. At the moment our house is on the market in France so for financial reasons we need to sell so I can have funds. :arghh: I have looked into a lot regarding colleges etc and am happy with what I am going to do.

My only downfall is 1) I am gonna be by myself as OH doesn't want me any more - 2) At my age and going to study - will I find it hard meeting new people?

I have a great personality and mix well with others (honestly) and do not want any romance at all (been there, seen it, have the t.shirt)

The college I am going to is (hopefully) central TAFE.

So - any advice would be great.

Thanks Sue XXX :jiggy:

Guest Letasha

Hi Sue and welcome to PIO.

I m sure you will have no problem meeting people especially as you will have no ties! I have a few q's that will help me or other people answer you better. Where and when are you planning to go? What visa are you applying for? Also to which level do plan to train in accountancy? Its just that its taking me 7 yrs to become a CA.

Wish you lots of luck

Hi Letasha,

Hi and thanks for your reply.

I am hoping to start at central TAFE in July 2009. The visa is going to be a student visa. As far as "how far do I go in study" - not sure as yet. My only plans so far are to do the

Certificate III in Financial Services

Certificate IV in Financial Services

Diploma of Accounting

Advanced Diploma of Accounting

That lasts for 2 years and leads to the 2nd year of university (if I wanted)

I know I have covered some of this with the AAT in England, but it has been 3 years since I have worked in an accounting enviroment and I think it would be wise to start from scatch especialy in a different country. I have done some accounting here in France but it was only for our small business that myself and OH had.

Where I go from there - who knows !!

Sue X

Guest Letasha

Hiya - sounds like you are pretty organised! You probably know this already but u can work 20 hrs p/w while you are a student (more on holidays i think). This along with college will surely be great for meeting people. This site is brilliant for meeting people too - there are usually meets posted every so often where all the poms get together for a catchup and a bbq.

Good luck and keep us posted :cute:

Hi Sue

I am going to study at TAFE in Perth. I was supposed to be starting in July this year but like you i need to sell my house and with the way things are it aint happening so i have defered until next January:realmad:

I am going to be what you call a 'mature student' but if it gets me my dream ticket then ill give a go!

I am not doing the same course as you but if you ever want a chat just give me a shout!

Go for it!

Emma

x

Hi Sue

Are you an AAT member? If so, you can hook into the National Institute of Accountants in Australia (NIA - National Institute of Accountants (Your Professional Membership based Accounting Organisation)) who will give you recognition (and associate membership status) for your qualification. Worthwhile going to their site anyway just to have a look around.

Been there, done that with mature study and found it better and easier than I imagined, even with family/home committments added on. Not a bit like being at school/college first time round!

Good luck with it all.

Best wishes

Hi Kate :biggrin:

Thanks for your reply. Even though I was registered with the AAT I need to do some more study before I can become a member with them - one day hopefully.

Also - I have just had a viewing on the house and they loved it :jiggy:. They have seen 22 properties so far and they didn't like any of them. They live in Paris and just want a holiday home, so they don't want to do any work on the house, and need a small garden. Hey presto!!!! - they spent nearly an hour looking, taking photos and measuring up!!!! - keep your fingers crossed that they buy now.

So, if they do buy now I can hopefully start in July at TAFE. (can't wait)

Sue X

Archived