Who has gone back to the UK to start from Scratch

Guest lovediving

Guest lovediving

Hi,

Has anyone on here got any experience of living in Oz and then returning to the UK to start from scratch.

I sold my house, business, everything to come here and one of the main reasons I have not returned is because of being scared of starting all over again.

I would like to hear of others experiences in this regard as I am fed up with being unhappy here and just want to get it together and go home but there is still this fear of starting all over again.

Thanks

Guest cazbeckham

Hi

How long have you lived here and what is the reason you are so unhappy.

Is it the job? or the area (could move to a different area) or missing family and friends in UK?

I don't like to hear of people being unhappy here after it probably took a lot of money and time to get here in the first place.

We have only been here for a little over 16 weeks on the Sunshine Coast and there is no way I would ever go back to the UK. I miss my Son and his Girlfiend dearly but I also have my own life and love it here too much.

Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.

Best wishes

Caz

Guest Celtic.H.

Hi Lovediving,

We know exactly what you are going through, we to are contemplating going back to the UK as well. We sold everything to get here and it has almost gone and we to fear starting from scratch with very little except family help. Sometimes this place is just not for you, we have been here just over a year and it just hits you when you have that feeling you just want to go back to what you know. Anybody who has only been here a short while, no offence cazbeckham but 16 weeks and to say you wont ever return is a little shortsighted, we love this place (Perth but previously NSW) and it has just hit us that we want to go home. You wont have a clue what you will feel like in a year or so when the real feeling of whether you are settling or not hits you. If you go back love it will be hard, we know that and we have decided to give it a few months more to try and decipher whether this is a short term feeling or the real deal. It will be just as hard as starting here but if it is what you want then you will make it work.

#

All best.

Guest cazbeckham

It's OK Celtic H I KNOW I will never go back to the UK. My Daughter and Son in Law are here and although my Son and his Fiance are in Uk and I miss them terribly I will still not leave here.

We nearly came here 36 years ago but it just didn't happen for one reason or another and I now feel that we have been give a second chance so here we are.

We have retired (though not at retiring age yet) and just love Australia so much.

I agree with you that for some people it doesn't matter how many states they decide to live in, it will still not be right and one will never know until they are here and given it a try so I do not condemn anyone if they want to return as it is only them who truly knows how they feel.

And I would like to wish anyone who has decided to go back to the UK all the very best and hope that your return is successful with no regrets.

Good Luck

Caz

Guest treesea
Hi,

Has anyone on here got any experience of living in Oz and then returning to the UK to start from scratch.

I sold my house, business, everything to come here and one of the main reasons I have not returned is because of being scared of starting all over again.

I would like to hear of others experiences in this regard as I am fed up with being unhappy here and just want to get it together and go home but there is still this fear of starting all over again.

Thanks

We came back and started from scratch. We could have worked for other people if I had followed my original plan, to live in London and carry on my career, which would have meant a bit of a commute, from West London to Basingstoke or Bracknell, though that wouldn't have worried me. But things didnt work out as planned. The work would have been fine, but turned out to be in Reading, where my OH flatly refused to live. As to London, it was what I would describe as in a State of Disrepair. We tried to get work in and around Cambridge but couldn't, so set up a business instead. One great thing about Britain, there is HEAPs of support for the self employed. Council subsidised rental space and business rates, various grants, working tax credit in the years when your income is low, even help with housing costs, which really amazed me.

Ironically, since being up in Scotland, I have been contacted a few times with offers of I.T. related work. But I like being self employed too much.

Archived